A compact multiband omnidirectional antenna for the reception of GNSS signals on artillery projectiles is designed in this paper. The proposed antenna consists of a metallic cone comprising a T-shaped monopole. It exhibits a broad bandwidth from 1.22 GHz to 1.28 GHz and from 1.44 GHz to 1.75 GHz, covering GPS L1, Galileo E2-L1-E1, GLONASS G1 and G2, CNSS B1 and B3. Measured results show that an omnidirectional radiation pattern is achieved, and the non-circularity in the azimuthal plane (xy-plane) is less than 2 dB for all the desired bands. Then the measured 6 dB beamwidth is about 110° in the presence of a finite 20 millimeters (mm) radius ground plane. Such an antenna has the potential to be easily used for small artillery projectiles.
2. Bang, J.-H., B. Enkhbayar, D.-H. Min, and B.-C. Ahn, "A compact GPS antenna for artillery projectile applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 266-269, 2011.
3. Li, B., S.-W. Liao, and Q. Xue, "Omnidirectional circularly polarized antenna combining monopole and loop radiators," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 607-610, 2013.
4. Yu, D., S.-X. Gong, Y.-T. Wan, and W.-F. Chen, "Omnidirectional dual-band dual circularly polarized microstrip antenna using TM01 and TM02 modes," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1104-1107, 2014.
5. Huang, H.-C., J.-C. Lu, and P. Hsu, "A compact dual-band printed Yagi-Uda antenna for GNSS and CMMB applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 5, 2342-2348, 2015.
6. Li, W.-M., B. Liu, and H.-Y. Zhao, "Parallel rectangular open slots structure in multiband printed antenna design," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1161-1164, 2015.
7. Park, B.-Y., M.-H. Jeong, and S.-O. Park, "A magneto-dielectric handset antenna for LTE/WWAN/GPS applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1482-1485, 2014.
8. Jagnow, P. G. and W. C. Jennings, "Artillery fuse antenna for positioning and telemetry,", US Patent No. 6020854, Feb. 1, 2000.
9. Zhang, Y.-Q., J.-W. Rong, X. Li, L. Yang, and S.-X. Gong, "Novel wideband omnidirectional antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 40, 257-267, 2013.
10. Saurav, K., D. Sarkar, and K. V. Srivastava, "CRLH unit-cell loaded multiband printed dipole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 852-855, 2014.
11. Quan, X. L., R.-L. Li, J. Y. Wang, and Y. H. Cui, "Development of a broadband horizontally polarized omnidirectional planar antenna and its array for base stations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 441-456, 2012.
12. Tze-Meng, O., K. G. Tan, and A. W. Reza, "A dual-band omni-directional microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 363-376, 2010.
13. Hsieh, W.-T. and J.-F. Kiang, "Small broadband antenna composed of dual-meander folded loop and disk-loaded monopole," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 5, 1716-1720, 2011.
14. Ma, J., Y.-Z. Yin, S.-G. Zhou, and L.-Y. Zhao, "Design of a new wideband low-profile conical antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 11, 2620-2623, 2009.
15. Aten, D. W. and R. L. Haupt, "A wideband, low profile, shorted top hat monocone antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 10, 4485-4491, 2012.
16. Rama Rao, B., W. Kunysz, R. Fante, and K. McDonald, GPS/GNSS Antennas, Artech House, 2013.
17. Kraus, J. D. and R. J. Marhefka, Antennas: For all Applications, New York, 2002.