A circular microstrip patch antenna design is proposed for applications that require suppression of surface waves and lateral waves. The proposed design is composed of a circular patch loaded with a single shorting pin on a grounded inhomogeneous dielectric substrate with a desired effective permittivity. The modal equation for the normalized resonance frequency of this design is solved numerically. Simulated and measured radiation patterns show that a good reduction of surface waves and lateral waves is achieved. A comparison between the present work and an alternative design in the literature is presented in this paper. The proposed design could find applications in large patch antenna arrays where mutual coupling needs to be eliminated and in high-precision global positioning system receivers where multipath interfering signals associated with low-angle reflection affect position accuracy.
1. Lui, H., H. T. Hui, and M. S. Leong, "A note on the mutual-coupling problems in transmitting and receiving antenna arrays," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 51, No. 5, 171-176, 2009. doi:10.1109/MAP.2009.5432083
2. Gupta, I. J. and A. A. Ksienski, "Effect of mutual coupling on the performance of adaptive arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 31, No. 5, 785-791, 1983. doi:10.1109/TAP.1983.1143128
3. Dandekar, K. R., H. Ling, and G. Xu, "Experimental study of mutual coupling compensation in smart antenna applications," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 1, No. 3, 480-487, 2002. doi:10.1109/TWC.2002.800546
4. Jedlicka, R. P., M. Poe, and K. Carver, "Measured mutual coupling between microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 29, No. 1, 147-149, Jan. 1981. doi:10.1109/TAP.1981.1142529
5. Kos, T., I. Markezic, and J. Pokrajcic, "Effects of multipath reception on GPS positioning performance," Proc. ELMAR Conf., 399-402, 2010.
6. Soubielle, J., I. Fijalkow, P. Duvaut, and A. Bibaut, "GPS positioning in a multipath environment," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 50, No. 1, 141-150, Jan. 2002. doi:10.1109/78.972490
7. Jackson, D. R., J. T. Williams, A. K. Bhattacharyya, R. L. Smith, S. J. Buchheit, and S. A. Long, "Microstrip patch designs that do not excite surface waves," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 8, 1026-1037, Aug. 1993. doi:10.1109/8.244643
8. Basilio, L. I., J. T. Williams, D. R. Jackson, and M. A. Khayat, "A comparative study of a new GPS reduced-surface-wave antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 233-236, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.851105
9. Basilio, L. I., R. L. Chen, J. T.Williams, and D. R. Jackson, "A new planar dual-band GPS antenna designed for reduced susceptibility to low-angle multipath," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 8, 2358-2366, Aug. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.901818
10. Mahmoud, S. F. and A. R. Al-Ajmi, "A novel microstrip patch antenna with reduced surface wave excitation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 86, 71-86, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08092403
11. Al-Ajmi, A. R. and S. F. Mahmoud, "A single-feed circularly-polarized patch antenna for reduced surface wave applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, 2675-2679, 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.24699
12. Mahmoud, S. F. and R. K. Deep, "Characteristics of a circular microstrip patch antenna with a shorting post," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 16, No. 2, 213-226, 2002. doi:10.1163/156939302X00859
13. AlAjmi, A. R. and M. Saed, "Simplified microstrip patch antenna design for reduced surface wave applications," 2014 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1849-1850, July 6-11, 2014.