In this paper, a compact asymmetric coplanar strip (ACS)-fed mirrored L-shaped monopole antenna is presented. The proposed design consists of three mirrored L-shaped branches and a split ring resonator (SRR) loaded beneath the substrate, which are responsible for achieving multiband characteristics, compactness and good impedance matching. The proposed antenna with a compact dimension of 22 × 16.08 × 1.6 mm3 fabricated and tested. The experiment result indicates that the proposed design, having -10 dB impedance bandwidth of 200, 670 and 530 MHz for 2.44, 5.3 and 8.2 GHz, respectively, covers 2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz WLAN, 5.5 GHz WiMAX and 8.2 GHz ITU band. It has good radiation characteristics for both E-plane and H-plane in all the desired frequency bands, very compact and produces good performances compared to the existing literature. The loaded SRR structure performance is validated through various parametric studies.
2. Liu, W. C. and W. R. Chen, "CPW-fed compact meandered patch antenna for dual-band operation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, 1-2, 2004.
3. Xu, P., Z. Yan, and C. Wang, "Multi-band modified fork-shaped monopole antenna with dual L-shaped parasitic plane," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, 47-48, 2011.
4. Sujith, R., V. Deepu, D. Laila, C. K. Aanandan, and K. Vasudevan, "A compact dual-band modified T-shaped CPW-fed monopole antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 937-939, 2009.
5. Tsai, L., "A dual-band bow-tie-shaped CPW-fed slot antenna for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 47, 167-171, 2014.
6. Sayidmarie, K. H. and T. A. Nagem, "Compact dual-band dual-ring printed mono-pole antennas for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 43, 313-331, 2012.
7. Deepu, V., R. K. Raj, M. Joseph, M. N. Suma, and P. Mohanan, "Compact asymmetric coplanar strip fed monopole antenna for multiband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, 2351-2357, 2007.
8. Li, X., X. W. Shi, W. Hu, P. Fei, and J. F. Yu, "Compact triband ACS-fed monopole antenna employing open-ended slots for wireless communication," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 388-391, 2013.
9. Song, Y., Y. C. Jiao, X. M. Wang, Z. B. Weng, and F. S. Zhang, "Compact coplanar slot antenna fed by asymmetric coplanar strip for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN operations," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, 3080-3083, 2008.
10. Li, B., Z. Yan, and T. Zhang, "Triple-band slot antenna with U-shaped open stub fed by asymmetric coplanar strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 37, 123-131, 2013.
11. Chen, L., Y. Luo, and Y. Zhang, "Compact tri-band planar monopole antenna with ACS-fed structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 49, 45-51, 2014.
12. Deepu, V., R. Sujith, S. Mridula, C. K. Aanandan, K. Vasudevan, and P. Mohanan, "ACS fed printed F-shaped uniplanar antenna for dual band WLAN applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 1852-1856, 2009.
13. Liu, Y., P. Wang, and H. Qin, "A compact triband ACs-fed monopole antenna employing inverted- L branches for WLAN /WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 47, 131-138, 2014.
14. Naidu, P., V. A. Malhotra, and R. Kumar, "A compact ACS-fed dual-band monopole antenna for LTE, WLAN/WiMAX and public safety applications," Microsyst. Technol., 1-8, 2015.
15. Naidu, P. V. and A. Malhotra, "A small ACS-fed tri-band antenna employing C and L shaped radiating branches for LTE/WLAN/WiMAX/ITU wireless communication applications," Analog Integr. Circuits Signal Process., Vol. 85, 489-496, 2015.
16. Li, Y., W. Li, and Q. Ye, "A compact asymmetric coplanar strip-fed dual-band antenna for 2.4/5.8GHz WLAN applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, 2066-2070, 2013.
17. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, 4184-4187, 2000.
18. Baena, J. D., J. Bonache, F. Mart´ın, R. M. Sillero, F. Falcone, T. Lopetegi, M., A. G. Laso, J. G. Garc´ıa, I. Gil, M. F. Portillo, M. Soroll, and S. Member, "Equivalent-circuit models for split-ring resonators and complementary split-ring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, 1451-1461, 2005.
19. Ntaikos, D. K., N. K. Bourgis, and T. V. Yioultsis, "Metamaterial-based electrically small multiband planar monopole antennas," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 963-966, 2011.
20. Kang, L., H. Wang, X. H. Wang, and X. Shi, "Compact ACS-fed monopole antenna with rectangular SRRs for tri-band operation," Electron. Lett., Vol. 50, 1112-1114, 2014.
21. Ansal, K. A. and T. Shanmuganantham, "A novel CB ACS-fed dual band antenna with truncated ground plane for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN application," AEU — Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 69, 1506-1513, 2015.
22. Simons, R. N., Coplanar Waveguide Circuits, Components and Systems, John Wiley & Sons, 2004.
23. Chen, H., et al., "Experimental retrieval of the effective parameters of metamaterials based on a waveguide method," Opt. Express, Vol. 14, 12944–9, 2006.
24. Smith, D. R., S. Schultz, P. Markos, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Determination of negative permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefficients," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 65, 195104–9, 2002.