A thin phase-correcting element that consists of four identical metallic and three identical dielectric layers is presented for the design of microwave and millimeter-wave transmitarrays. The metallic layers consist of the octagon conducting strip, which are tuned to obtain the desired phase compensation on an incident wave, while maintaining a high amplitude of transmission coefficient. A transmitarray is designed at K band using the element. Fed by a standard horn and three planar slot-fed patch antennas with different beamwidths alternately, the wave-focusing performance of the transmitarray was demonstrated by simulations and experiments.
2. Dou, W. B., Z. L. Sun, and X. Q. Tan, "Fields in the focal space of symmetrical hyperbolic focusing lens," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 20, 213-226, 1998.
3. Reid, D. R. and G. S. Smith, "A full electromagnetic analysis of grooved-dielectric fresnel zone plate antennas for microwave and millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 8, 2138-2146, Aug. 2007.
4. Huang, M., S. Yang, W. Xiong, and Z.-P. Nie, "Design and optimization of spherical lens antennas including practical feed models," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 355-370, 2011.
5. Ghaffar, A. and Q. A. Naqvi, "Focusing of electromagnetic plane wave into uniaxial crystal by a three dimensional plano convex lens," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 25-42, 2008.
6. McGrath, D., "Planar three-dimensional constrained lenses," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 34, No. 1, 46-50, Jan. 1986.
7. Andres-Garcia, B., L. E. Garcia-Munoz, V. Gonzalez-Posadas, F. J. Herraiz-Martinez, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Filtering lens structure based on SRRs in the low THz band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 71-90, 2009.
8. Pozar, D. M., "Flat lens antenna concept using aperture coupled microstrip patches," Electronics Letters, Vol. 32, No. 23, 2109-2111, Nov. 1996.
9. Chen, Y. and L. Chen, "A C-band flat lens antenna with double-ring slot elements," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 341-344, 2013.
10. Gagnon, N., A. Petosa, and D. A. McNamara, "Printed hybrid lens antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 5, 2514-2518, May 2012.
11. Gagnon, N., A. Petosa, and D. A. Mcnamara, "Thin microwave quasi-transparent phase-shifting surface (PSS)," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 4, 1193-1201, Apr. 2010.
12. Gagnon, N., A. Petosa, and D. A. Mcnamara, "Thin microwave phase-shifting surface lens antenna made of square elements," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 5, 327-329, Mar. 2010.
13. Hsu, S.-H., C. Han, and J. Huang, "An offset linear-array-fed Ku/Ka dual-band reflectarray for planet cloud/precipitation radar," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 11, 3114-3122, Nov. 2007.
14. Datthanasombat, S., A. Prata, L. R. Amaro, J. A. Harrell, S. Spitz, and J. Perret, "Layered lens antennas," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Symp. Digest, Vol. 2, 777-780, 2001.