This paper presents a Complementary Split Ring Loaded Resonator (CLSRR) based compact, wideband, waveguide bandpass filter. Three identical CLSRRs were fabricated and placed on the transverse plane of a standard WR-90 waveguide at a quarter wavelength distance to form the filter. The proposed filter was initially simulated using Ansoft HFSS (version 14) and then fabricated and measured. The measured result shows a fractional bandwidth of 18.80% at 10.05 GHz. Total length of the filter is only 20.33 mm which is compact enough. Detailed design procedure has been presented along with the equivalent circuit of the filter. A table has been provided to compare the performance of the proposed filter with those already available in the literatures. The table shows that the proposed filter is compact and has higher bandwidth, lower insertion loss and higher return loss.
2. Hunter, I., "Theory and design of Microwave filters," IET Electromag. Waves, Vol. 48, 2001.
3. Ohira, M., H. Deguchi, M. Tsuji, and H. Shigesawa, "A new dual-behavior FSS resonator for waveguide filter with multiple attenuation poles," Proc. Eur. Microw. Conf., Vol. 1, Oct. 2005.
4. Amjadi, S. M. and M. Soleimani, "Design of band-pass waveguide filter using frequency selective surfaces loaded with surface Mount capacitors based on split-field update FDTD method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 271-281, 2008.
5. Ohira, M., Z. Ma, H. Deguchi, and M. Tsuji, "A novel coaxial-excited FSS-loaded waveguide filter with multiple transmission zeros," Proc. Asia-Pacific Microw. Conf. (APMC), 1720-1723, Dec. 2010.
6. Tsuji, M., H. Deguchi, and M. Ohira, "A new frequency selective window for constructing waveguide bandpass filters with multiple attenuation poles," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 20, 139-153, 2011.
7. Yang, Y., H. Zhou, Q. Li, and H. Li, "Waveguide filter using frequency selective surface with miniaturized element," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 37, 83-90, 2013.
8. Ohira, M., H. Deguchi, and M. Tsuji, "A novel resonant window having dual-behavior resonance for pseudo-elliptic waveguide filter," Proc. 36th European Microw. Conf., 1083-1086, Sep. 2006.
9. Lotfi-Neyestanak, A. A., S. M. Seyed-Momeni, and M. R. Haraty, "Improved bandwidth waveguide bandpass filter using Sierpinski fractal shaped irises," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 36, 113-120, 2013.
10. Shen, T. and K. A. Zaki, "Length reduction of evanescent-mode ridge waveguide bandpass filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 40, 71-90, 2003.
11. Zhang, X., Q. Wang, H. Li, and R. Liu, "Evanescent mode compact waveguide filter," Proc. Int. Conf. on Microw. and Millim. Wave Tech., Vol. 1, 323-325, Apr. 2008.
12. Ohira, M., T. Matsumoto, Z. Ma, H. Deguchi, and M. Tsuji, "A new type of compact evanescentmode waveguide bandpass filter using planar dual-behavior resonators," Proc. Asia-Pacific Microw. Conf., 1023-1026, 2011.
13. Li, H., Q. Wang, R. Liu, and X. Zhang, "Economical compact waveguide band-pass filter with circular posts," Proc. Int. Conf. on Microw. and Millim. Wave Tech., Vol. 1, 318-319, 2008.
14. Ghorbaninejad, H. and M. K. Amirhosseini, "Compact band-pass filters utilizing dielectric filled waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 105-115, 2008.
15. Mohottige, N., D. Budimir, and Z. Golubicic, "Compact dielectric-filled waveguide filters and diplexers," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propag. Society Int. Symp., 1-2, Jul. 2012.
16. Fahmi, M., J. A. Ruiz-Cruz, R. R. Mansour, and K. A. Zaki, "Compact ridge waveguide filters using non-resonating nodes," Proc. IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp., 1337-1340, 2009.
17. Oloumi, D., A. Kordzadeh, and A. A. Lotfi Neyestanak, "Size reduction and bandwidth enhancement of a waveguide bandpass filter using fractal-shaped irises," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1214-1217, 2009.
18. Sorrentinol, R. and S. Bastioli, "Innovative solutions for compact waveguide filters," Proc. of the Asia-Pacific Micro. Conf., 235-238, 2010.
19. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Soviet Phys Uspekhi, Vol. 10, 509-514, 1968.
20. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, 4184-4187, 2000.
21. Jitha, B., C. S. Nimisha, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "SRR loaded waveguide band rejection filter with adjustable bandwidth," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 7, 1427-1429, Jul. 2006.
22. Fallahzadeh, S., H. Bahrami, and M. Tayarani, "A novel dual-band bandstop waveguide filter using split ring resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 12, 133-139, 2009.
23. Ortiz, N., J. D. Baena, M. Beruete, F. Falcone, M. A. G. Laso, T. Lopetegi, R.Marque, F.Martın, J. Garcıa-Garcıa, and M. Sorolla, "Complementary split-ring resonator for compact waveguide filter design," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 1, 88-92, Jul. 5, 2005.
24. Bahrami, H., M. Hakkak, and Pirhadi, "Analysis and design of highly compact bandpass waveguide filter utilizing complementary split ring resonators (CSRR)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 107-122, 2008.
25. Bage, A. and S. Das, "Studies of some non conventional split ring and complementary split ring resonators for waveguide band stop & band pass filter application," Int. Conf. Microw. and Photonics (ICMAP), 1-5, Dec. 2013.
26. Bage, A. and S. Das, "Wideband waveguide band-pass filter based on broad side complementary split ring resonator," Int. conf. microw. and photonics (ICMAP), 1-2, Dec. 2015.
27. Liu, Z. M., J. A. Ruiz-Cruz, C. Wang, and K. A. Zaki, "An extremely wideband ridge waveguide filter," Proc. IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp., 615-618, 2004.
28. Zhang, Q. and Y. Lu, "Design of wide-band pseudo-elliptic waveguide filters with cavity-backed inverters," IEEE Microw. and Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 11, 604-606, Nov. 2010.
29. Zhang, Q. and Y. Lu, "Dimensional synthesis of symmetric wideband waveguide cross-coupled filters without global full-wave optimization," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 12, 3742-3748, Dec. 2010.
30. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2 Ed., Wiley, New York, 1998.
31. Collin, R. E., Foundations for Microwave Engineering, McGraw-Hill International edition, 1992.
32. Potrebic, M. M., D. V. Tosic, Z. Z. Cvetkovic, and N. Radosavljevic, "WIPL-D modeling and results for waveguide filters with printed-circuit inserts," Proc. 28th Int. Conf. Microelectronics, 309-312, May 2012.
33. Stefanovski, S., D. Mirkovic, M. Potrebic, and D. Tosic, "Novel design of H-plane bandpass waveguide filters using complementary split ring resonators," PIERS Proceedings, 1963-1968, Guangzhou, Aug. 25–28, 2014.
34. Pulido-Mancera, L. M. and J. D. Baena, "Waveguide bandpass filters made of thick complementary small resonators," Proc. 8th Int. Congr. Advanced Electromag. Materials in Microwa. and Optics- Metamaterials, Aug. 2014.
35. Snezana, S., P. Milka, S. Zoran, and T. Dejan, "A novel compact dual-band bandpass waveguide filter," Int. Sym. on Design and Diagnostics of Electronic Circuits & Systems, 51-56, 2015.