In this paper, a novel approach is attained to the design of low profile antenna structures with wire dipoles and multiband operation. The aim is achieved by utilization of non-uniform Electromagnetic Band Gap (EBG) lattices as reflectors, and this potential comes to be added to the total of special capabilities of this type of Artificial Magnetic Conductors (AMC). It is proved that a properly designed EBG of this type can resonate at more than one frequency and is capable to drive, inside these bands, the dipole to higher order modes of operation besides its basic one. The resulting hybrid radiator apart from its multiband operation exhibits high gain that reaches the value of 9.6 dB, satisfactory Mean Effective Gain (MEG) and very low correlation coefficients, much less than 0.1, between the signals at the input of the dipoles in the case that the radiator is configured as an antenna array. The study of these quantities was performed using the signal parameters of a real mobile communication environment along with the hybrid antenna properties of operation. The presented analytical results show that the designed radiators are competitive to the classical microstrip ones and can be effectively used in modern wireless communication networks, incorporated either into stationary or into mobile units.
1. Best, S. and D. Hanna, "Design of a broadband dipole in close proximity to an EBG ground plane," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, 52-64, 2008. doi:10.1109/MAP.2008.4768923
2. Toubet, M. S., M. Hajj, R. Chantalat, E. Arnaud, B. Jecko, T. Monediere, H. Zhang, and J. Diot, "Wide bandwidth, high-gain, and low-profile EBG prototype for high power applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1362-1365, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2177953
3. Yuan, T., H. Hafdallah-Ouslimani, A. C. Priou, G. Lacotte, and G. Colligon, "Dual-layer EBG structures for low profile ‘bent’ monopole antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 47, 315-337, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB12110502
4. Siakavara, K. and T. Ganatsos, "Modification of the radiation patterns of higher order modes of triangular printed antennas by EBG ground planes," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 124-128, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2010958
5. Kim, S.-H., T. T. Nguyen, and J.-H. Jang, "Reflection characteristics of 1-d EBG ground plane and its application to a planar dipole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 51-66, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11062909
6. Zhou, L., H. H. Ouslimani, A. Priou, A. Ourir, and O. Maas, "Understanding the behavior of miniaturized metamaterial-based dipole antennas in leky wave regime," Applied Physics A, Vol. 106, 145-149, 2012. doi:10.1007/s00339-011-6656-x
7. Hosseini, M., D. M. Klymyshyn, G. Wells, and X. Liu, "Thick metal EBG cells with narrow gaps and application to the design of miniaturized antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 185-193, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER14021503
8. Ganatsos, T., K. Siakavara, and J. N. Sahalos, "Neural network — Based design of EBG surfaces for effective polarization diversity of wireless communications antenna systems," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, 1165-1169, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS070215124728
9. Ganatsos, T., K. Siakavara, and J. N. Sahalos, "Mean effective gain enhancement of antenna systems with EBG ground plane," Proc. of the 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 3567-3571, Berlin, March 2009.
10. Margaret, D. H., M. R. Subasree, S. Susithra, S. S. Keerthika, and B. Manimegalai, "Mutual coupling reduction in MIMO antenna system using EBG structures," International Conference on Signal Processing and Communications (SPCOM), 2012.
11. Michailidis, E., C. Tsimenidis, and G. Chester, "Mutual coupling reduction in a linear two element patch array and its effect on theoretical MIMO capacity," Proc. of Louhborough Antennas and Propagation Conference, 457-460, Louhborough, 2008.
12. Naser-Moghadasi, M., R. Ahmadian, Z. Mansouri, F. B. Zarrab, and M. Rahimi, "Compact EBG structures for reduction of mutual coupling in patch antenna MIMO arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 53, 145-154, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14081603
13. Islam, M. T. and Md. Shahidul Alam, "Compact EBG structure for alleviating mutual coupling between patch antenna array elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 425-438, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12121205
14. Yoon, J.-H., J. Ahn, K. Chang, and Y.-J. Yoon, "Beam tilted Base station antenna with electromagnetic gradient surface," Proc. of International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications (ICEAA), 481-484, 2010.
15. Chang, K., J. Ahn, and Y.-J. Yoon, "High impedance surface with nonidentical lattices," Proc. of IWAT2008, 474-477, Chiba, Japan, 2008.
16. Chang, K. and Y.-J. Yoon, "One-dimensional flat parabola antenna using synthesized EBG textures," Proc. of IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, APSURSI ’09, 2009.
17. Mourtzios, Ch. and K. Siakavara, "Novel antenna configurations with non-uniform ebg lattices for wireless communication networks," Proc. of the 7th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation(EuCAP), 2673-2677, Gothenburg, April 2013.
18. Mourtzios, Ch. and K. Siakavara, "Hybrid antenna-EBG structures with tunned periodicity for enhancement of operation of wireless networks," Proc. of International Conference on Electromagnetic Advanced Applications (ICEAA’13), 125-128, (file 155.pdf), Turin, September 2013.
19. Mourtzios, Ch. and K. Siakavara, "Hybrid antenna arrays with non-uniform electromagnetic band gap lattices for wireless communication networks," Indian Journal of Physics, Vol. 89, 811-823, 2015. doi:10.1007/s12648-014-0644-x
20. Mourtzios, Ch., Th. Ganatsos, and K. Siakavara, "MEG and correlation characteristics of hybrid dipole — Nonuniform EBG antenna systems," Proc. of the 8th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP2014), 3433-3437, Hauge, April 2014.
21. Wu, P., Z. Kuai, and X. Zhu, "Multiband antennas comprising multiple frame-printed dipoles," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 3313-3316, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2029371
22. Peng, L. and Ch. Ruan, "Design and time-domain analysis of compact multi-band-notched UWB antennas with EBG structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 47, 339-357, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB12113012
23. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, Y.-Y. Lv, M.-Q. Qi, X. Gao, and S. Ge, "Multifrequency monopole antennas by loading metamaterial transmission lines with dual-shunt branch circuit," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 703-725, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12122409
24. Antoniades, M. A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Multiband compact printed dipole antennas using NRI-TL metamaterial loading," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, 5613-5626, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2211324
25. Saurav, K., D. Sarkar, and K. V. Srivastava, "CRLH unit-cell loaded multiband printed dipole antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 852-855, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2320918
26. Khan, O. M., Z. U. Islam, I. Rashid, F. A. Bhatti, and Q. U. Islam, "Novel miniaturized Koch pentagonal fractal antenna for multiband wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 141, 693-610, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13060904
27. Li, D. and J.-F. Mao, "Circularly arced Koch fractal multiband multimode monopole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 140, 653-680, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13040401
28. Siakavara, K. and F. Tsaldaris, "A multi-wideband microstrip antenna designed by the square curve fractal technique," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 41, 180-185, 2004. doi:10.1002/mop.20086
29. Peristerianos, A., A. Theopoulos, A. G. Koutinos, T. Kaifas, and K. Siakavara, "Dual-band fractal semi-printed element antenna arrays for MIMO applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 730-733, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2470681
30. Engheta, N. and R. W. Ziolkowski, Metamaterials Physics and Engineering Exploriations, John Wiley & Sons, 2006.
31. Kildal, P.-S., A. A. Kishk, and S. Maci, "Special issue on artificial magnetic conductors, soft/hard surfaces, and other complex surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 2-7, January 2005 (Guest Editorial). doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.841530
32. Rahmat-Samii, Y. and F. Yang, Electromagnetic Band Gap Structure in Antenna Engineering, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2009.
33. Gross, F. B., Frontiers in Antennas Next Generation Design & Engineering, Mc Graw Hill, 2011.
34. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexopoulos, and E. Yablonovitch, "High impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798001
35. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engneering, 3 Ed., John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
36. Fujimoto, K. and J. R. James, Mobile Antenna Systems Handbook, Artech House, 2001.