This paper proposes a horn antenna with limiting plates inside to produce symmetrical pattern in E-plane and H-plane. Sidelobes of the antenna are reduced using the limiting plates, and therefore, the beam efficiency of the antenna is improved up to 90 % without changing the antenna dimensions. The antenna dimensions are adjusted to achieve the best beam efficiency. Simultaneously, the reflection coefficient is maintained lower than -15 dB. In addition, it is indicated that this antenna has wide bandwidths without reducing the efficiency and performance of the antenna. Finally, the reflection coefficient is improved to -20 dB without degradation of the antenna performance.
2. Dehdasht-Heydari, R., H. R. Hassani, and A. R. R. Mallahzadeh, "Quad ridged horn antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 23-38, 2008.
3. Mallahzadeh, A. R. and F. Karshenas, "Modified tem horn antenna for broadband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 105-119, 2009.
4. Agastra, E., G. Bellaveglia, L. Lucci, R. Nesti, G. Pelosi, G. Ruggerini, and S. Selleri, "Genetic algorithm optimization of high-efficiency wide-band multimodal square horns for discrete lenses," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 335-352, 2008.
5. Fartookzadeh, M. and S. H. MohseniArmaki, "Dual-band reflection-type circular polarizers based on anisotropic impedance surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, 826-830, Feb. 2016.
6. Fartookzadeh, M. and S. H. MohseniArmaki, "Millimeter wave near field focusing cassegrain reflector antennas," Journal of Applied Electromagnetics, Vol. 2, 41-49, 2015 (in Persian), available: http://journals.ihu.ac.ir/index.php/elemag/article/view/8831.
7. Lawrie, R. and L. Peters, "Modifications of horn antennas for low sidelobe levels," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 14, 605-610, Sep. 1966.
8. Clarricoats, P. J. B. L. and A. D. Olver, "Corrugated horns for microwave antennas," IET, Vol. 18, 1984.
9. Granet, C., G. L. James, R. Bolton, and G. Moorey, "A smooth-walled spline-profile horn as an alternative to the corrugated horn for wide band millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 848-854, Mar. 2004.
10. Bird, T. S. and C. Granet, "Optimization of profiles of rectangular horns for high efficiency," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, 2480-2488, Sep. 2007.
11. Deguchi, H., M. Tsuji, and H. Shigesawa, "Compact low-cross-polarization horn antennas with serpentine-shaped taper," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 2510-2516, Oct. 2004.
12. Ruggerini, G., "A compact circular horn with high efficiency," Proc. of the 4th European Conf. on Antennas and Propagation. IEEE Conf., 1-3, Barcelona, Spain, 2010.
13. Potter, P. D., "A new horn antenna with suppressed sidelobes and equal bandwidths,", Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, CA, 1963.
14. Xiao, Z. and H. Xu, "Low refractive metamaterials for gain enhancement of Horn Antenna," J. Infrared MilliTerahz Waves, Vol. 30, 225-232, Dec. 2008.
15. Qi, M. Q., W. X. Tang, H. F. Ma, B. C. Pan, Z. Tao, Y. Z. Sun, and T. J. Cui, "Suppressing sidelobe radiations of horn antenna by loading metamaterial lens," Nature Scientific Reports, Vol. 5, 9113, Mar. 2015.
16. Nowakowski, M. and E. Swartz, "Low sidelobe horn antenna with internal conductive plates,", U.S. Patent 3,-171,129, Feb. 23, 1965.
17. Collin, R. E., Antennas and Radio Wave Propagation, McGraw-Hil, New York, 1985.