This paper describes the design of a two-pole low-pass and band-stop filters. The low-pass structure is designed at the cutoff frequency of 2 GHz for the L-band applications. This architecture uses half circle defected ground structure HCDGS instead full circle DGS resonator. Both the HCDGS shapes are etched in the ground plane and coupled via a substrate with a compensated capacitor. The rejection bandwidth of the LPF covers a large wideband spectrum. Therefore, the band suppression reaches more than 3fc. The filter is simulated and fabricated. The measured results are in good agreement with the full-wave simulated ones, showing the merits of compact size and sharp roll-off. The multi-layer technique has been used, In order to realize a transformation from low-pass behaviours to band-stop characteristics, keeping the same passband features. The new extracted band-stop topology is simulated and optimized using an RO4003 substrate with dielectric constant of 3.38 and thickness of h = 0.813 mm. The structure has a wide stopband with over 20 dB rejection from 11 to 20 GHz. Such filters can be used for L-band and military applications.
2. Liu, L., R. Jin, X. Bai, Y. Li, X. Liang, J. Geng, and C. He, "A tri-band bandstop filter with sharp rejection and controllable bandstop frequencies," 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 2543-2544, 2015.
3. Yang, M., J. Xu, Q. Zhao, L. Peng, and G. Li, "Compact, broad-stopband lowpass filters using sirs-loaded circular hairpin resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 95-106, 2010.
4. Boutejdar, A., G. Nadim, S. Amari, and A. S. Omar, "Control of bandstop response of cascaded microstrip low-pass-bandstop filters using arrowhead slots in backside metallic ground plane," Proc. IEEE AP-Symp. (Washington DC), 2005.
5. Ahn, D., J. S. Park, C. S. Kim, J. Kim, Y. Qian, and T. Toh, "A design of the low-pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 49, 86-93, 2001.
6. Nosrati, M., T. Faraji, and Z. Atlasbaf, "A compact composite broad stop-band elliptic function low-pass filter for ultra-wideband applications using interdigital capacitors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 7, 87-95, 2009.
7. Wua, H.-W., C.-C. Lina, Y.-F. Chenb, and H.-Y. Leeb, "Compact triple-passband bandpass filter based on new modified stepped impedance resonators," Microelectronics Journal, Vol. 46, 490-495, 2015.
8. Boutejdar, A., A. Omar, and E. Burte, "High performance wide stop band low pass filter using a vertically coupled DGS-DMS-resonators and interdigital capacitor," MOTL Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 87-92, 2014.
9. Kazerooni, M., N. P. Gandji, A. Cheldavi, and M. Kamarei, "A new microwave bandstop filter using defected microstrip structure (DMS)," PIERS Proceedings, 697-700, Moscow, Russia, August 18–21, 2009.
10. Boutejdar, A., N. M. Eltabit, A. A. Ibrahim, and E. P. Burte, "Design of wide stop band Lband LPF based on DMS-DGS-technique for radar applications," Hindawi Publishing Corporation International Journal of Microwave Science and Technology, 7-13, Article ID 101602, 2015.
11. Hong, J. S., Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2011.
12. Boutejdar, A., A. Elsherbini, and A. S. Omar, "A compact microstrip multi-layer lowpass filter using triangle slots etched in the ground plane," Proc. 36th European Microwave Conference, 2006 (EuMC), Manchester, UK, September 2006.
13. Boutejdar, A., A. Abdel-Rahman, A. K. Verma, G. E. Nadim, and A. S. Omar, "Improved circuit model for DGS based lowpass filter," Proc. IEEE AP-S Symp., 998-1001, Monterey, 2004.
14. Boutejdar, A., A. Elsherbini, S. Amari, M. Awida, and A. Omar, "Design of a novel microstrip bandstop filter using one compact C-open-loop resonator," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conf., Yokohama, Japan, December 2006.
15. Wang, C.-J. and T. H. Lin, "A multi-band meandered slotted-ground plane resonator and its application of low-pass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 249-262, 2011.
16. Chen, J., Z.-B. Weng, Y.-C. Jiao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Lowpass filter design of hilbert curve ring defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 269-280, 2007.
17. Boutejdar, A., "A new approach to design compact tunable BPF starting from simple LPF topology using a single T-DGS-resonator and ceramic capacitors," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, 1142-1148, 2016.
18. Lu, K., G.-M. Wang, Y.-W. Wang, and X. Yin, "An improved design of Hi-Lo microstrip lowpass filter using uniplanar double spiral resonant cells," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 89-98, 2011.
19. Chen, W.-L., G.-M. Wang, Y.-N. Qi, and J.-G. Liang, "Size-reduced fractal-shaped dual planar PBG microstrip low-pass filter," 7th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation & EM Theory, 1-4, 2006.
20. Boutejdar, A., W. Abd Ellatif, A. A. Ibrahim, and M. Challal, "A simple transformation from lowpass to bandpass filter using a new quasi-arrow head defected ground structure resonator and gap-J-inverter," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, 947-953, 2016.
21. Boutejdar, A., "Entwurf, entwicklung und optimierung von kompakten HF-mikrostreifen-filtern mittels defected ground structure-technik (DGS),", doctorate degree (Dr. Eng.). At Otto-von-Guercke University, Magdeburg, November 2010.
22. Boutejdar, A., A. A. Ibrahim, and E. P. Burte, "Design of 5GHz-compact reconfigurable dgsbandpass filter using varactor-diode device and coupling matrix technique," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, 304-309, 2016.
23. Boutejdar, A., "Design of broad-stop band low pass filter using a novel quasi-Yagi-DGS-resonators and metal box-technique," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 523-528, 2014.
24. Rahman, A. B., A. A. K. Verma, A. Boutejdar, and A. S Omar, "Control of bandstop response of Hi-Lo microstrip low-pass-filter using slot in ground plane," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, 1008-1013, 2004.
25., , AWR Microwave Office, Ver. 5.51, http://web.awrcorp.com.
26. Wu, Z., Y. Shim, and M. Rais-Zadeh, "Miniaturized UWB filters integrated with tunable notch filters using a silicon-based integrated passive device technology," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 60, 518-527, 2012.
27. Nosrati, M., N. Vahabisani, and M. Daneshmand, "Compact MEMS-based ultra wideband CPW band-pass filters with single/double tunable notch-bands," IEEE Trans. Compon., Pack. Manufac Tech., Vol. 4, 1451-1460, 2014.
28. Boutejdar, A., et al., "Extracting of compact tunable BPF from LPF using single T-DGS-resonator and 0.25 PF/0.5 PF chip monolithic ceramic capacitors," 2015 4th International Conference on Electrical Engineering (ICEE), 1-5, Boumerdes, Algeria, 2015.