In this paper, an interdigital resonator that can greatly decrease mutual coupling between adjacent patches is proposed to realize an ultra-compact microstrip antenna array operating in 2.4 GHz wireless communication system. Due to its remarkable performance of decoupling, the edge to edge distance between adjacent patches can be reduced to 0.08λ0 and even less. Meanwhile, a miniaturized feeding network, which is composed of a CRLH-TL-based phase shifter and T-junction-based power divider, is used to feedthe compact antenna array. The simulation results show that the proposed antenna array has an impedance bandwidth of 8.34%. We fabricate the antenna array to verify its performance. The experimental results are in good agreements with the simulations. Compared to the published designs, the proposed antenna array hasanultra-compact structure and hence can be used in space limited communication systems.
Si Min Li,
"Ultra-Compact Microstrip Antenna Array and Miniaturized Feeding Network," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 71, 111-122, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC16110602
1. Ouyang, J., F. Yang, and Z. M. Wang, "Reducing mutual coupling of closely spaced microstrip MIMO antennas for WLAN application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 310-313, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2140310
2. Sarkar, D., A. Singh, K. Saurav, and K. V. Srivastava, "Four-element quad-band multipleinput-multiple-output antenna employing split-ring resonator and inter-digital capacitor," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 13, 1453-1460, 2015. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2015.0189
3. Yang, X. M., X. G. Liu, X. Y. Zhou, and T. J. Cui, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely packed patch antennas using waveguided metamaterials," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 389-391, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2193111
4. Bernety, H. M. and A. B. Yakovlev, "Reduction of mutual coupling between neighboring strip dipole antennas using confocal elliptical metasurface cloaks," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 4, 1554-1563, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2398121
5. Xu, H. X., G. M. Wang, M. Q. Qi, and H. Y. Zeng, "Ultra-small single-negative electric metamaterials for electromagnetic coupling reduction of microstrip antenna array," Optics Express, Vol. 20, 21968-21976, Sep. 2012. doi:10.1364/OE.20.021968
6. Al-Hasan, M. J., T. A. Denidni, and A. R. Sebak, "Millimeter-wave compact EBG structure for mutual coupling reduction applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 2, 823-828, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2381229
7. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817983
8. Park, J. S., J. S. Yun, and D. Ahn, "A design of the novel coupled-line bandpass filter using defected ground structure with wide stopband performance," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 9, 2037-2043, 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.802313
9. Farahani, H. S., M. Veysi, M. Kamyab, and A. Tadjalli, "Mutual coupling reduction in patch antenna arrays using a UC-EBG superstrate," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 57-59, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2042565
10. Salehi, M. and A. Tavakoli, "A novel low mutual coupling microstrip antenna array design using defected ground structure," International Journal of Electronics and Communications (AEU), Vol. 60, No. 10, 718-723, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2005.12.009
11. Qian, K. and D. Gan, "Compact tunable network for closely spaced antennas with high isolation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 1, 65-69, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29495
12. Velez, P., J. Bonache, and F. Martın, "Dual and broadband power dividers at microwave frequencies based on composite right/left handed (CRLH) lattice networks," Photonics and Nanostructures — Fundamentals and Applications, Vol. 12, No. 4, 269-278, 2014. doi:10.1016/j.photonics.2014.05.006
13. Bemani, M. and S. Nikmehr, "Nonradiating arbitrary dual-band equal and unequal 1 : 4 series power divider based on CRLH-TL structures," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 61, No. 3, 1223-1234, 2015. doi:10.1109/TIE.2013.2258297
14. Ren, X., K. Song, F. Zhang, and B. Hu, "Miniaturized gysel power divider based on composite right/left-handed transmission lines," IEEE Microwave Theory and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 25, No. 1, 22-24, 2015. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2014.2365747
15. Ghosh, J., S. Ghosh, D. Mitra, and S. R. B. Chaudhuri, "Mutual coupling reduction between closely placed microstrip patch antenna using meander line resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 59, 115-122, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERL16012202
16. Blanch, J., J. Romeu, and I. Cordella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20030495
17. Zhao, L. and K. Wu, "A dual-band coupled resonator decoupling network for two coupled antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 9, 2843-2850, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2421973
18. Lin, X. Q., D. Bao, H. F. Ma, and T. J. Cui, "Novel composite phase-shifting transmission-line and its application in the design of antenna array," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 2, 375-380, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2037764
19. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Transmission line approach of left-handed (LH) materials and microstrip implementation of an artificial LH transmission line," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1159-1166, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.827249
20. Ludwing, R. and G. Bogdanov, RF Circuit Design: Theory and Applications Chinese Simplified Language Edition, 2nd Ed., Publishing House of Electronics Industry, Beijing, 2013.
21. Cui, W., R. Wang, H. Zhang, J. Li, T. Hu, and Y. Liu, Electromagnetic Metamaterials and Applications, 2nd Ed., National Defense Industry Press, Beijing, 2014.
22. Alley, G. D., "Interdigital capacitors and their application to lumped-element microwave integrated circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 18, No. 12, 1028-1033, 1970. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1970.1127407
23. Qiao, W., X. Gao, X. Yu, Y. Jiang, X. Yu, and W. Cao, "Compact power divider based on composite right/left-handed transmission line," The 11th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation and EM Theory, to be published.