New phasing element for a wideband microstrip reflectarray is presented. It is formed by a phase-delay line attached to a circular ring loaded with a circular disc microstrip. The structure is enclosed by a circular ring element with a pair of gaps. It is shown that the new phasing element offers a wider bandwidth with an increased phasing range that is useful in reflectarrays phase compensation procedure. Full wave EM simulations is carried out. The results of the simulations show the possible wideband operation of the designed reflectarray. Good agreement exists between simulation results and measurements by waveguide simulator method. The mutual coupling effect for a realistic reflectarray configuration with non-identical cells is accounted for by using the perturbation technique.
2. Carrasco, E., J. A. Encinar, and M. Barba, "Wideband reflectarray antenna using true-time delay lines," The Second European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2007, 1-6, Edinburgh, 2007.
3. Carrasco, E., J. A. Encinar, and M. Barba, "Bandwidth improvement in large reflectarrays by using true-time delay," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 8, 2496-2503, Aug. 2008.
4. Bozzi, M., S. Germani, and L. Perregrini, "Performance comparison of different element shapes used in printed reflectarrays," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, No. 1, 219-222, 2003.
5. Bialkowski, M. E. and K. H. Sayidmarie, "Investigations into phase characteristics of a single-layer reflectarray employing patch or ring elements of variable size," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 11, 3366-3372, Nov. 2008.
6. Ismail, M. Y., M. F. B. M. Shukri, Z. Zakaria, A. F. M. Zain, M. F. L. Abdullah, and M. A. Ubin, "Investigation of static phasing distribution characteristics of passive reflectarray antenna elements," PIERS Proceedings, 1218-1222, Moscow, Russia, Aug. 18–21, 2009.
7. Misran, N., R. Cahill, and V. F. Fusco, "Design optimisation of ring elements for broadband reflectarray antennas," IEE Proceedings — Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 150, No. 6, 440-444, Dec. 2003.
8. Guo, L., P. K. Tan, and T.-H. Chio, "Bandwidth improvement of reflectarrays using single-layered double concentric circular ring elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 46, 91-99, 2014.
9. Sayidmarie, K. H. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Phasing of a microstrip reflectarray using multidimensional scaling of its elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 125-136, 2008.
10. Li, Y., M. E. Bialkowski, K. H. Sayidmarie, and N. V. Shuley, "81-element single-layer reflectarray with double-ring phasing elements for wideband applications," 2010 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Toronto, ON, 2010.
11. Malfajani, R. S. and Z. Atlasbaf, "Design and implementation of a broadband single-layer reflectarray antenna with large-range linear phase elements," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1442-1445, 2012, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2012.2228147.
12. Hasani, H., M. Kamyab, and A. Mirkamali, "Broadband reflectarray antenna incorporating disc elements with attached phase-delay lines," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 156-158, 2010, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2010.2044473.
13. Han, C., Y. Zhang, and Q. Yang, "Single-layer reflectarray antennas with improved bandwidth by attaching phase-delay lines," Proceedings of the 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 1-4, Davos, 2016.
14. Li, Y. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Investigations into electronically controlled rings with arc stubs phasing elements for reconfigurable microstrip reflectarrays," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference 2011, 943-946, Melbourne, VIC, 2011.
15. Li, Y., M. E. Bialkowski, and A. M. Abbosh, "Single layer reflectarray with circular rings and open-circuited stubs for wideband operation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 9, 4183-4189, Sept. 2012, doi: 10.1109/TAP.2012.2207060.
16. Jamaluddin, M. H., R. Gillard, and R. Sauleau, "Perturbation technique to analyze mutual coupling in reflectarrays," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, No. 1, 697-700, 2009.
17. Ali, W. K. W. and S. H. Al-Charchafchi, "Using equivalent dielectric constant to simplify the analysis of patch microstrip antenna with multi-layer substrates," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 676-679, Atlanta, GA, USA, 1998, doi: 10.1109/APS.1998.702028.
18. Inam, M. and M. Y. Ismail, "Analytical model and practical validation of phase variation of reflect array antenna," Procedia Engineering, Vol. 53, 225-232, 2013, ISSN 1877-7058, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2013.02.030.