A novel compact unidirectional UWB antenna is presented in this paper. First a novel planar omnidirectional UWB antenna with CPW-feed is designed. The antenna is composed of a half-elliptical disc with a small ground plane. A slot is inserted on the patch as a novel technique to improve the gain bandwidth of the antenna at higher frequencies is presented. The omnidirectional antenna shows UWB matching and gain bandwidth of 2 GHz to 6.5 GHz. Furthermore, to make the radiation pattern of the omnidirectional antenna unidirectional, a rectangular shape metallic reflector without bottom wall is used on the backside of the antenna. The unidirectional antenna with a total dimension of 0.52λm x 0.33λm x 0.18λm (λm wavelength of the minimum operating frequency) has a matching bandwidth of 1.5 GHz to 7.7 GHz with a gain of 5 dBi to 10.2 dBi over 1.7 GHz to 6.5 GHz, and flat group delays of less than 1 nsec. To validate the proposed design, the antenna is fabricated, and measured results are compared with simulations.
1. Baumann, C. E., L. Carin, and A. P. Stone, Ultra-wideband, Short-pulse Electromagnetic 3, Springer, 2013.
2. Peyrot-Solis, M. A., G. M. Galvan-Tejada, H. Jardon-Aquilar, and , "State of art in ultra-wideband antennas," Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. Electr. and Electron. Eng., 101-105, Sep. 2005.
3. Schantz, H. G., The Art and Science of Ultra-Wideband Antennas, 2nd Ed., Artech House, Boston, MA, 2015.
4. Geng, S., D. Liu, Y. Li, H. Zhuo, W. Rhee, and Z. Wang, "A 13.3mW 500Mb/s IR-UWB transceiver with link margin enhancement technique for meter-range communications," IEEE J. of Solid-State C, Vol. 50, No. 3, 669-678, Feb. 2015. doi:10.1109/JSSC.2015.2393815
5. Heidari, G., WiMedia UWB: Technology of Choice for Wireless USB and Bluetooth, 1st Ed., Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2008.
6. Xu, X., T. Xia, A. Venkatachalam, D. Huston, and M. Asce, "Development of high-speed ultrawideband ground-penetration radar for rebar detection," J. of Eng. Mechanic, Vol. 139, No. 3, 272-285, 2012. doi:10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000458
7. Li, L., A. E. Tan, K. Jhamb, and K. Rambabu, "Buried object characterisation using ultrawideband ground penetrating radar," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 8, 2654-2664, Aug. 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2198235
8. Dehmollaian, M. and K. Sarabandi, "Refocusing through building walls using synthetic aperture radar," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 46, No. 6, 1589-1599, Jun. 2008. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2008.916212
9. Li, J., Z. Zeng, J. Sun, and F. Liu, "Through-wall detection of human being’s movement by UWB radar," IEEE Geosci. and Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 9, No. 6, 1079-1083, Nov. 2012. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2012.2190707
10. Ojaroudi, N., M. Ojaroudi, and N. Ghadimi, "UWB omnidirectional square monopole antenna for use in circular microwave imaging systems," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1350-1353, Nov. 2012.
11. Mobashsher, A. T., A. M. Abbosh, and Y. Wang, "Microwave system to detect traumatic brain injuries using compact unidirectional antenna and wideband transceiver with verification on realistic head phantom," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 62, No. 9, 1826-1836, Sep. 2014. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2014.2342669
12. Edalati, A. and T. A. Denidni, "A compact UWB antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," Microwave Optical Technology Lett., Vol. 52, 1183-1186, 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.25105
13. Gautam, A. K., S. Yadav, and B. K. Kanaujia, "A CPW-fed compact UWB microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 151-154, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2244055
14. Bourqui, J., M. Okoniewski, and E. C. Fear, "Balanced antipodal Vivaldi antenna with dielectric director for near-field microwave imaging," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 7, 2318-2326, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2048844
15. Wang, Y., G. Wang, and B. Zong, "Directivity improvement of Vivaldi antenna using double-slot structure," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1380-1383, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2285182
16. Jacob, B., J. W. Odendaal, and J. Joubert, "An improved design for a 1–18 GHz double-ridged guide horn antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 9, 4110-4118, Jul. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207043
17. Morgan, M. A. and T. A. Boyd, "A 10–100 GHz double-ridged horn antenna and coax launcher," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 8, 3417-3422, Aug. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2439697
18. Daniels, D. J., Ground Penetrating Radar, 2nd Ed., IET Press, London, UK, 2004. doi:10.1049/PBRA015E
19. Kim, K. and W. R. Scott, "Design of resistively loaded vee dipole for ultrawide-band groundpenetrating radar applications," IEEE. Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 8, 2525-2532, Aug. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.852320
20. Yang, H. and K. Kim, "Ultra-wideband impedance matching technique for resistively loaded vee dipole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 11, 5788-5792, Nov. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2275981
21. Behdad, N. and K. Sarabandi, "A compact antenna for ultrawide-band applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 7, 2185-2192, Jul. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.850750
22. Elsherbini, A. and K. Sarabandi, "Directive coupled sectorial loop antenna for ultra-wideband applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 576-579, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2020444
23. Mobasher, A. T. and A. Abbosh, "Slot-loaded folded dipole antenna with wideband and unidirectional performance for L-band applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 798-801, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2318035
24. Midrio, M., S. Boscolo, F. Sacchetto, F. M. Pigozzo, and A. D. Capobianco, "Novel ultra-wideband bow-tie antenna with high front-to-back ratio and directivity," Microwave Optical Technology Lett., Vol. 52, No. 5, 1116-1120, 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.25108
25. Qu, S. W., J. L. Li, Q. Xue, and C. H. Chan, "Wideband cavity-backed bowtie antenna with pattern improvement," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3850-3854, Dec. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2007395
26. Qu, S. W., C. H. Chan, and Q. Xue, "Ultra-wideband composite cavity-backed folded sectoral bowtie antenna with stable pattern and high gain," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 8, 2478-2483, Aug. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2024585
27. Ge, L. and K. M. Luk, "A magneto-electric dipole for unidirectional UWB communication," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 11, 5762-5765, Nov. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2276924
28. Tu, Z., D. F. Zhou, G. Q. Zhang, F. Xing, X. Lei, and D. W. Zhang, "A wideband cavity-backed elliptical printed dipole antenna with enhanced radiation patterns," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1610-1613, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2294058
29. Moody, R. A. and S. K. Sharma, "Ultrawide bandwidth (UWB) planar monopole antenna backed by novel pyramidal-shaped cavity providing directional radiation patterns," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1469-1472, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2179513
30. Zhu, F., S. Gao, A. T. S. Ho, T. W. C. Brown, J. Z. Li, and J. D. Xu, "Low-profile directional ultra-wideband antenna for see-through-wall imaging applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 121, 121-139, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11080907
31. Wu, Q., R. Jin, J. Geng, and M. Ding, "Pulse preserving capabilities of printed circular disk monopole antennas with different grounds for the specified signal forms," IEEE Trans. Antennas propag., Vol. 55, No. 10, 2866-2873, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.905854
32. Molaei, A., M. Kaboli, S. A. Mirtaheri, and M. S. Abrishamiyan, "Dielectric lens balanced antipodal Vivaldi antenna with low cross-polarisation for ultra-wideband applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 8, No. 14, 1137-1142, 2014. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2014.0207
33. Li, X., S. C. Hagness, M. K. Choi, and D. W. van der Weide, "Numerical and experimental investigation of an ultrawideband ridge pyramidal horn antenna with curved launching plane for pulse radiation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 2, 252-269, 2003.