An approach of miniaturizing planar Yagi array using metamaterial is presented in this paper. In this methodology, metamaterial structures are incorporated in the antenna in place of directors. An investigation in reflection and radiation characteristics of the antennas is done, and the findings are presented. The metamaterial loaded antenna shows improved directivity and efficiency of 16.3% and 2.95% with respect to the microstrip Yagi antenna while achieving a noticeable size miniaturization of 33.3%. Also, a better matching, compared to Yagi antenna, is observed in this proposed design. The fabrication and measurement of ones.
7. Lee, J. L. and J. Yeo, "Modified broadband Quasi-Yagi antenna with enhanced gain and bandwidth," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, 406-409, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27325
8. Liu, J., Q. Xue, and Y. L. Long, "4-element Yagi array of microstrip quarter-wave patch antennas," Proc. IEEE International Wireless Symposium, 1-4, 2014.
9. Hao, Y., G. Wang, Y. Tian, Y. Wang, L. Yu, and X. Ye, "Wide beamwidth circularly polarized microstrip Yagi array antenna," IEEE Conference on Communication Problem-Solving, 172-174, 2015.
10. Yeo, J. and J. L. Lee, "Bandwidth and gain enhancement of a series-fed two-dipole antenna using nearby parasitic directors," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, 2782-2787, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.27897
11. Zhai, G., Y. Cheng, Q. Yin, S. Zhu, and J. Gao, "Gain enhancement of printed log-periodic dipole array antenna using director cell," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, 5915-5919, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2355851
12. Dejean, G. R., T. T. Thai, S. Nikolau, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Design and analysis of microstrip Bi- Yagi and Quad-Yagi antenna arrays for WLAN application," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 244-248, 2007. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2007.893104
14. Smith, D. R., J. B. Pendry, and M. C. K. Wiltshire, "Metamaterials and negative refractive index," Science, Vol. 305, 788-792, 2014. doi:10.1126/science.1096796
15. Cao, W., B. Zhang, T. Yu, D. Guo, and T. Wei, "Gain enhancement for broadband periodic end fire antenna by using split-ring resonator structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, 3513-3516, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2196959
16. Pozar, D. M. and B. Kaufman, "Comparison of three methods for the measurement of printed antenna efficiency," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 36, 136-139, 1988. doi:10.1109/8.1084