In this paper, a novel W-band substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) power combiner/divider is analyzed theoretically and demonstrated experimentally/numerically, based on the antipodal fin-line SIW-rectangular waveguide (SIW-RW) transition and longitudinal slot coupling techniques. This antipodal fin-line SIW-RW transition can work at the frequency band of 86.4 GHz-106.1 GHz with return loss larger than 15 dB and inserting loss less than 2 dB. By combining the antipodal fin-line SIW-RW into the four-way longitudinal-slot SIW coupling structure, a novel back-to-back power dividing/combining system is achieved, which can operate at the frequency band of 92.8 GHz-93.8 GHz with return loss more than 10 dB and insertion loss less than 3.9 dB. Such a design can be used in future for spatial power amplifier applications.
1. Chang, K. and C. Sun, "Millimeter-wave power-combining techniques," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 31, 91-107, 1983. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1983.1131443
2. Shiffler, D., J. Nation, and G. S. Kerslick, "A high-power, traveling wave tube amplifier," IEEE Trans. Plasma Science, Vol. 18, 546-552, 1990. doi:10.1109/27.55926
3. Yoo, C. and Q. Huang, "A common-gate switched 0.9-W Class-E power amplifier with 41% PAE in 0.25-μm CMOS," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 36, 823-830, 2001. doi:10.1109/4.918921
4. Jia, P., L. Y. Chen, A. Alexanian, and R. York, "Broad-band high-power amplifier using spatial power-combining technique," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, 2469-2475, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.819766
5. Wang, F., D. F. Kimball, J. D. Popp, A. H. Yang, D. Y. Lie, P. M. Asbeck, and L. E. Larson, "An improved power-added efficiency 19-dBm hybrid envelope elimination and restoration power amplifier for 802.11 g WLAN applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, 4086-4099, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.885575
6. He, S. and K. Liu, "On the possibility of a perfect power combiner," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 158, 1-6, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIER16092302
7. Bashirullah, R. and A. Mortazawi, "A slotted-waveguide power amplifier for spatial powercombining applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, 1142-1147, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.848497
8. Song, K. and Q. Xue, "Planar probe coaxial-waveguide power combiner/divider," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, 2761-2767, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2032483
9. Wu, K., "Integration and interconnect techniques of planar and non-planar structures for microwave and millimeter-wave circuits-current status and future trend," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 411-416, 2001.
10. Abdolhamidi, M. and M. Shahabadi, "X-band substrate integrated waveguide amplifier," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, 815-817, 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.2007711
11. Germain, S., D. Deslandes, and K. Wu, "Development of substrate integrated waveguide power dividers," Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 3, 1921-1924, 2003.
12. Hao, Z., W. Hong, H. Li, H. Zhang, and K. Wu, "Multiway broadband substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) power divider," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 639-642, 2005.
13. Liu, B., W. Hong, L. Tian, H. B. Zhu, W. Jiang, and K. Wu, "Half mode substrate integrated waveguide HMSIW multi-way power divider," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 2006.
14. Jin, H. and G. Wen, "A novel four-way Ka-band spatial power combiner based on HMSIW," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, 515-517, 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.2001007
15. Yang, N., C. Caloz, and K.Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide power divider based on multimode interference imaging," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 883-886, 2008.
16. Song, K., Y. Fan, and Y. Zhang, "Eight-way substrate integrated waveguide power divider with low insertion loss," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, 1473-1477, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.923897
17. Eom, D. S., J. Byun, and H. Y. Lee, "Multilayer substrate integrated waveguide four-way out-ofphase power divider," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, 3469-3476, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2034311
18. Mohammadi, P. and S. Demir, "Two layers substrate integrated waveguide power divider," 2011 XXXth URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium, 2011.
19. Lee, D. M., Y. J. An, and J. G. Yook, "An eight-way radial switch based on SIWpower divider," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, Vol. 12, 216-222, 2012. doi:10.5515/JKIEES.2012.12.3.216
20. Song, K., F. Zhang, F. Chen, and Y. Fan, "Wideband millimetre-wave four-way spatial power combiner based on multilayer SIW," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 27, No. 13, 1715-1719, 2013. doi:10.1080/09205071.2013.823123
21. Zheng, P., P. Zhou, W. H. Yu, H. J. Sun, X. Lv, and H. Deng, "W-band power divider based on H-plane slot waveguide bridge," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 1-4, 2012.
22. Zhao, X., X. Q. Xie, L. Zhou, and Y. L. Wu, "Four-way power divider/combiner based on waveguide microstrip structure in W-band," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 1-4, 2012.
23. Ma, R., M. Luo, H. Sun, Z. Li, and P. Zheng, "Design and simulation of a W-band two-way power divider based on substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE International Conference on Microwave Technology and Computational Electromagnetics (ICMTCE), 100-102, 2013.
24. Li, J., Y. Chu, and J. Xu, "A novel W-band solid-state power divider/combiner network based on waveguide microstrip structure," 2014 IEEE International Conference on Communication Problem- Solving (ICCP), 266-268, 2014.
25. Chen, K., B. Yan, and R. Xu, "A novel W-band ultra-wideband substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) T-junction power divider," Proceedings of International Symposium on Signals, Systems and Electronics (ISSSE), 1-3, 2010.
26. Yee, H. Y., "Impedance of a narrow longitudinal shunt slot in a slotted waveguide array," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 22, 589-592, 1974.
27. Oliner, A. A, "The impedance properties of narrow radiating slots in the broad face of rectangular waveguide," IRE Trans. Antennas Propagation Parts I and II, Vol. 5, 4-20, 1957. doi:10.1109/TAP.1957.1144488
28. Josefsson, L. G., "Analysis of longitudinal slots in rectangular waveguide," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 35, 1531-1537, 1987.
29. Jiang, X., L. Liu, S. C. Ortiz, R. Bashirullah, and A. Mortazawi, "A Ka-band power amplifier based on a low-profile slotted-waveguide power-combining/dividing circuit," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, 144-146, 2000.
30. Che, W., K. Deng, D.Wang, and Y. L. Chow, "Analytical equivalence between substrate-integrated waveguide and rectangular waveguide," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 2, 35-41, 2008. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20060283
31. Rebollo, A., R. Gonzalo, and I. Ederra, "An inline microstrip-to-waveguide transition operating in the full W-band," J. Infrared Milli. Terahz. Waves, Vol. 36, 734-744, 2015. doi:10.1007/s10762-015-0167-3
32. Van Heuven, J. H. C., "A new integrated waveguide-microstrip transition," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 24, 144-147, 1976. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1976.1128796
33. Engen, G. F. and C. A. Hoer, "Thru-reflect-line: An improved technique for calibration the dual six-port automatic network analyser," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techniques, Vol. 27, 987-993, 1979. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1979.1129778