A wideband orthogonally polarized resonant cavity antenna (RCA) with double-layer Jerusalem Cross type partially reflective surface (PRS) as superstrate is presented in this paper. The PRS is analyzed using equivalent circuit modelling and full wave simulations. Two-port dual-polarized aperture coupled microstrip patch has been used as primary feed antenna. Measured results show that the antenna structure exhibits 10 dB return loss bandwidth of 14.7% at 10 GHz (9.4-10.9 GHz), and the isolation between the feeding ports is better than 18 dB over the bandwidth. The cross-polarization levels in both E and H planes are better than 15 dB. The peak directivity of the antenna is 13 dBi in the entire band. The antenna is suitable for marine and weather Radar applications.
1. Mohamad, S., R. Cahill, and V. Fusco, "Performance of Archimedean spiral antenna backed by FSS reflector," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 1, 14-16, 2014. doi:10.1049/el.2014.3693
2. Gonzalo, R., P. De Maagt, and M. Sorolla, "Enhanced patch-antenna performance by suppressing surface waves using photonic-bandgap substrates," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2131-2138, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798009
3. Weily, A. R., K. P. Esselle, T. S. Bird, and B. C. Sanders, "High gain circularly polarised 1-D EBG resonator antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 18, 1012-1014, 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20061552
4. Zeb, B. A. and K. P. Esselle, "High-gain dual-band dual-polarised electromagnetic band gap resonator antenna with an all-dielectric superstructure," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 10, 1059-1065, 2015. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2014.0798
5. Feresidis, A. P. and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "High gain planar antenna using optimised partially reflective surfaces," IEE Proceedings — Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 148, No. 6, 345-350, 2001. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20010828
6. Moghadas, H., M. Daneshmand, and P. Mousavi, "A dual-band high-gain resonant cavity antenna with orthogonal polarizations," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1220-1223, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2173454
7. Moghadas, H., M. Daneshmand, and P. Mousavi, "Dual-band high-gain resonant cavity antenna with orthogonal polarisation using slotted patch partially reflective superstrate," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 15, 897-899, 2012. doi:10.1049/el.2012.0918
8. Zhu, H., Y. Yu, X. Li, and B. Ai, "A wideband and high gain dual-polarized antenna design by a frequency-selective surface for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 54, 57-66, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14072801
9. Tan, G.-N., X.-X. Yang, H.-G. Xue, and Z. Lu, "A dual-polarized Fabry-Perot cavity antenna at Ka band with broadband and high gain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 60, 179-186, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC15110501
10. Garg, R., Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, 2001.
11. Costa, F., A. Monorchio, and G. Manara, "Efficient analysis of frequency-selective surfaces by a simple equivalent-circuit model," IEEE Antennas Propag. Magazine, Vol. 54, 35-48, 2012. doi:10.1109/MAP.2012.6309153