A novel single-layer unit cell structure is proposed to design a dual-band dual-linear-polarization reflectarray antenna with different beams for X and Ku bands. The unit cell structure is composed of a circular ring and two cross bow-tie structures combined by a circular patch. Five tunable geometric parameters can be optimized to achieve the required phase distributions of the reflectarray antenna with independent radiation patterns for each band which is a challenge for single-layer linearly polarized reflectarrays. Besides, the proposed unit cell structure has the ability to meet the demand of dual-polarization applications. A 301-element center-fed reflectarray with an octagon-shape aperture operating at X and Ku bands is designed, manufactured and measured to verify the dual-band performance of the proposed unit cell. The measured results show that the object of achieving different beams at different frequencies is realized with good radiation patterns at both designed frequencies. Besides, the similar radiation patterns for both linear polarizations are also achieved at both bands.
2. Encinar, J. A., "Design of two-layer printed reflectarrays using patches of variable size," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 10, 1403-1410, Oct. 2001. doi:10.1109/8.954929
3. Chang, D. C. and M. C. Huang, "Microstrip reflecarray antenna with offset feed," Electronics Letters, Vol. 28, No. 16, 1489-1491, 1992. doi:10.1049/el:19920946
4. Yu, A., F. Yang, A. Z. Elsherbeni, J. Huang, and Y. Kim, "An offset-fed X-band reflectarray antenna using a modified element rotation technique," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 3, 1621-1624, Mar. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2180299
5. Pozar, D. M., "Bandwidth of reflectarrays," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 21, 1490-1491, Oct. 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20030990
6. Chaharmir, M. R., J. Shaker, N. Gagnon, and D. Lee, "Design of broadband, single layer dualband large reflectarray using multi open loop elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 9, 2875-2883, Sep. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2052568
7. Encinar, J. A., "Design of a dual frequency reflectarray using microstrip stacked patches of variable size," Electronics Letters, Vol. 32, No. 12, 1049-1050, Jun. 1996. doi:10.1049/el:19960710
8. Han, C., C. Rodenbeck, J. Huang, and K. Chang, "A C/Ka dual frequency dual Layer circularly polarized reflectarray antenna with microstrip ring elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 11, 2871-2876, Nov. 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.835144
9. Chulmin, H., J. Huang, and C. Kai, "A high efficiency offset-fed X/kadual-band reflectarray using thin membranes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 9, 2792-2798, Sep. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.854531
10. Shih-Hsun, H., et al., "An offset linear-array-fed Ku/Ka dual-band reflectarray for planet cloud/precipitation radar," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 11, 3114-3122, Nov. 2007.
11. Li, J. F., Q. Chen, S. W. Qu, Q. Yuan, and K. Sawaya, "Dual-frequency reflectarray design using sandwiched FSS," Proc. Asia-Pacific Microwave Conf. (APMC), 877-880, 2010.
12. Chaharmir, M. R., J. Shaker, and H. Legay, "FSS-backed reflectarray with broadband square loop cell elements for dualband application," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, IEEE San Diego, CA, 2008.
13. Chaharmir, M. R., J. Shaker, and H. Legay, "Dual-band Ka/X reflectarray with broadband loop elements," IET Microwave, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 2, 225-231, 2010. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2008.0369
14. Shaker, J. and M. Cuhaci, "Multi-band, multi-polarisation reflector-reflectarray antenna with simplified feed system and mutually independent radiation patterns," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, IEE Proceedings, Vol. 152, No. 2, 97-101, 2005. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20045019
15. Deng, R. Y., Y. L. Mao, S. H. Xu, and F. Yang, "A single-layer dual-band circularly polarized reflectarray with high aperture efficiency," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, 3317-3320, Jul. 2015.
16. Han, C. H. and Y. H. Zhang, "Single layer dual-band reflectarray antenna with two independent radiation patterns," IET International Radar Conference, 1-4, Hangzhou, 2015.
17. Li, J. F., Q. Chen, Q. W. Yuan, and K. Sawaya, "Reflectarray element using interdigital gap loading structure," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 2, 83-85, Jan. 2011. doi:10.1049/el.2010.3083
18. Chaharmir, M. R., J. Shaker, and H. Legay, "Broadband design of a single layer large reflectarray using multi cross loop elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 10, 3363-3366, Oct. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2029600