A finite difference method in the frequency domain is evaluated to clarify characteristics of the Lorentz force exerted on a metal nanoscale particle by light irradiation. Numerical results are compared with exact values obtained from Mie theory to show that applying a smoothing algorithm to the surface of a nanoparticle increases the accuracy of the simulation. Analysis of the Lorentz force exerted between two spheres aligned closely indicates that strong forces cause the spheres to attract each other at the plasmon resonant frequency. It was also noticed that application of the smoothing algorithm was indispensable in order to achieve the above result.
1. Anker, J. N., W. P. Hall, O. Lyandres, N. C. Shah, J. Zhao, and R. P. van Duyne, "Biosensing with plasmonic nanosensors," Nat. Mater., Vol. 7, 442-453, 2008. doi:10.1038/nmat2162
2. Guoa, L., J. A. Jackman, H. H. Yang, P. Chen, N. J. Cho, and D. H. Kim, "Strategies for enhancing the sensitivity of plasmonic nanosensors," Nano Today, Vol. 10, No. 2, 213-239, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.nantod.2015.02.007
3. Hsu, C. W., B. Zhen, W. Qiu, O. Shapira, B. G. DeLacy, J. D. Joannopoulos, and M. Solijaci, "Transparent displays enabled by resonant nanoparticle scattering," Nat. Commun., Vol. 5, 2014.
4. Colomban, P., "The use of metal nanoparticles to produce yellow, red and iridescent colour, from Bronze Age to Present Times in lustre pottery and glass: Solid state chemistry, spectroscopy and nanostructure," J. Nano Res., Vol. 8, 109-132, 2009. doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/JNanoR.8.109
5. Blosi, M., S. Albonetti, F. Gatti, G. Baldi, and M. Dondi, "Au-Ag nanoparticles as red pigment in ceramic inks for digital decoration," Dyes Pigm., Vol. 94, 355-362, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.dyepig.2012.01.006
6. Bohren, C. F. and D. R. Huffman, Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 2008.
7. Elimelech, M., X. Jia, J. Gregory, and R. Williams, "Particle Deposition and Aggregation: Measurement, Modelling and Simulation," Butterworth-Heinemann, 1995.
8. Burns, M. M., J. M. Fournier, and J. A. Golovchenko, "Optical binding," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 63, No. 12, 1233-1236, 1989. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.63.1233
9. Kimura, K., "Photoinduced coagulation of Au nanocolloids," J. Phys. Chem., Vol. 98, No. 8, 2143-2147, 1994. doi:10.1021/j100059a029
10. Kimura, K., "Photoenhanced van der Waals attractive force of small metallic particles," J. Phys. Chem., Vol. 98, No. 46, 11997-12002, 1994. doi:10.1021/j100097a027
11. Chen, H., S. Liu, J. Zi, and Z. Lin, "Fano resonance-induced negative optical scattering force on plasmonic nanoparticles," ACS Nano, Vol. 9, No. 2, 1926-1935, 2015. doi:10.1021/nn506835j
12. Chen, H., C. Liang, S. Liu, and Z. Lin, "Chirality sorting using two-wave-interference induced lateral optical force," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 93, No. 5, 053833, 2016. doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.93.053833
13. Chen, H., Y. Jiang, N. Wang, W. Lu, S. Liu, and Z. Lin, "Lateral optical force on paired chiral nanoparticles in linearly polarized plane waves," Opt. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 23, 5530-5533, 2015. doi:10.1364/OL.40.005530
14. Stratton, J. A., Electromagnetic Theory, McGraw-Hill, NY, USA, 1941.
15. Fujii, M., "Radius-dependent binding or repelling forces exerted on metal nano-sphere clusters by infrared-induced plasmonic resonance," Opt. Commun., Vol. 285, No. 21–22, 4553-4557, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2012.06.075
16. Shalin, A. S., P. Ginzburg, P. A. Belov, Y. S. Kivshar, and A. V. Zayats, "Nano-opto-mechanical effects in plasmonic waveguides," Laser. Photon. Rev., Vol. 8, No. 1, 131-136, 2014. doi:10.1002/lpor.201300109
17. Xiao, J. J. and C. T. Chan, "Calculation of the optical force on an infinite cylinder with arbitrary cross section by the boundary element method," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 25, No. 9, 1553-1561, 2008. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.25.001553
18. Sikora, J., M. Panczyk, and P. Wieleba, "Hybrid boundary element method applied for diffusion tomography problems," Computer Vision in Robotics and Industrial Applications, 197-229, World Scientific, 2014.
19. Chaumet, P. C. and A. Rahmani, "Electromagnetic force and torque on magnetic and negative-index scatters," Opt. Express, Vol. 17, No. 4, 2224-2234, 2009. doi:10.1364/OE.17.002224
20. Demir, V., "Graphics processor unit (GPU) acceleration of finite-difference frequency-domain (FDFD) method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 23, 29-51, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERM11090909
21. Deinega, A. and I. Valuev, "Subpixel smoothing for conductive and dispersive media in the finitedifference time-domain method," Opt. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 23, 3429-3431, 2007. doi:10.1364/OL.32.003429
22. Kottke, C., A. Farjadpour, and S. G. Johnson, "Perturbation theory for anisotropic dielectric interfaces, and application to subpixel smoothing of discretized numerical methods," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 77, 036611, 2008. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.77.036611
23. Rakic, A. D., A. B. Djurisic, J. M. Elazar, and M. L. Majewski, "Optical properties of metallic films for vertical-cavity optoelectronic devices," Appl. Opt., Vol. 37, No. 22, 5271-5283, 1998. doi:10.1364/AO.37.005271