A low-profile, wideband dual-polarized antenna with unidirectional radiation patterns is the design goal of this paper. To obtain such antenna characteristics, the design is divided into two steps. First, a coax-feed wideband antenna element with a simple geometry is proposed. The antenna element consists mainly of a quasi-square patch-dipole, a coupling E-shaped feeding structure and a shorting pin. The electromagnetic coupling between the feeding structure and the non-contact quasi-square patch can be flexibly controlled by a pair of fan-shaped stubs. Secondly, two pairs of the proposed antenna elements are selected to construct a dual-polarized antenna. To further reduce the profile of the antenna, two techniques are utilized. One is the mutual coupling distributing among the elements while the other is to add four rectangular stubs within the inner region. A prototype of the dual-polarized antenna is fabricated and measured. Measurement results demonstrate that the prototype antenna obtains an overlapped fractional bandwidth of 38.9% from 1.7 to 2.52 GHz with a good isolation higher than 32 dB. Both unidirectional radiation patterns with front-to-back ratios better than 20 dB across the whole frequency band and cross polarization levels lower than -22 dB in most operating frequency band are obtained. Additionally, the dual-polarized antenna achieves average gains about 9.9 dBi and 10.1 dBi for Port 1 and Port 2, respectively.
1. Xie, J. J., Y.-Z. Yin, J. Ren, and T. Wang, "A wideband dual-polarized patch antenna with electric probe and magnetic loop feeds," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 132, 499-515, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12083107
2. Lai, H. W. and K. M. Luk, "Dual polarized patch antenna fed by meandering probes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 9, 2625-2627, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.904158
3. Ciydem, M., "Isolation enhancement in wideband dual-polarised suspended plate antenna with modified T-type probes," Electronics Lett., Vol. 50, No. 5, 338-339, 2014. doi:10.1049/el.2013.3548
4. Gao, S., L. W. Li, M. S. Leong, and T. S. Yeo, "A broad-band dual-polarized microstrip patch antenna with aperture coupling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, 898-900, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.811080
5. Chiou, T. W. and K. L. Wong, "Broad-band dual-polarized single microstrip patch antenna with high isolation and low cross polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, 399-401, 2002. doi:10.1109/8.999635
6. Su, D., J. J. Qian, H. Yang, and D. Fu, "A novel broadband polarization diversity antenna using a cross-pair of folded dipoles ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, 433-435, 2005.
7. Huang, Y. H., Q. Wu, and Q. Zh. Liu, "Broadband dual-polarised antenna with high isolation for wireless communication," Electronics Lett., Vol. 45, 714-715, 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2009.1256
8. Ren, J., B. Wang, and Y. Z. Yin, "Low profile dual-polarized circular patch antenna with an AMC reflector," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 47, 131-137, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERL14062604
9. Li, B., W. Hu, J. Ren, and Y. Z. Yin, "Low-profile dual-polarized patch antenna with HIS reflector for base station application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 28, No. 8, 956-962, 2014. doi:10.1080/09205071.2014.898593
10. Cui, Y. H., R. L. Li, and P. Wang, "A novel broadband planar antenna for 2G/3G/LTE base stations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, 2767-2774, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2244837
11. Zhang, Z. Y., Y. X. Guo, L. C. Ong, and M. Chia, "A new wide-band planar balun on a single-layer PCB," IEEE Antennas Wireless Components Lett., Vol. 15, 416-418, 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.850486
12. Caso, R., A. Serra, A. Buffi, M. Rodriguez-Pino, P. Nepa, and G. Manara, "Dual-polarised slot-coupled patch antenna excited by a square ring slot," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propag., Vol. 5, 605-610, 2010.
13. Jiang, X. L., Z. J. Zhang, Y. Li, and Z. H. Feng, "A planar wideband dual-polarized array for active antenna system," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 544-547, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2311583
14. Xie, J. J., X. S. Ren, Y. Z. Yin, and J. Ren, "Dual-polarised patch antenna with wide bandwidth using electromagnetic feeds," Electronics Lett., Vol. 48, No. 22, 1385-1386, 2012. doi:10.1049/el.2012.2216
15. Siu, L., H.Wong, and K.M. Luk, "A dual-polarized magneto-electric dipole with dielectric loading," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 616-623, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2013430
16. Shad, S., Z. Rahimian, and M. Bemani, "Design of a wideband dual-polarized microstrip patch antenna with novel structure for wlan application," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, 1599-1562, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29861