Aimed at solving the problems of high initial cutoff frequency, small stopband range and poor inhibition in the current electromagnetic band gap (EBG) structure, an electromagnetic band gap structure designed on the basis of periodic Z-bridge EBG inserted by a double complementary slit ring resonator (DBCSRR) cell is proposed. Compared with the traditional EBG structure, the proposed EBG structure can achieve 270 MHz-20 GHz bandwidth in a reference of -30 dB, which is wide in range. The measured and simulated results indicate the wideband of noise suppression. In addition, the lower and upper cutoff frequencies are estimated by using equivalent circuit models, respectively. Moreover, the IR-Drop and dc resistance is accurately investigated through 3-D simulations. Finally, the transfer characteristics of single signal line are studied.
1. Qin, J. and O. M. Ramahi, "Ultra-wideband mitigation of simultaneous switching noise using novel planar electromagnetic bandgap structures," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Lette, Vol. 16, No. 9, 1531-1309, 2006.
2. Kwon, J. H., D. U. Sim, S. I. Kwak, and J. G. Yook, "Novel electromagnetic bandgap array structure on power distribution network for suppressing simultaneous switching noise and minimizing effects on high-speed signals ," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 52, No. 2, 365-372, 2010. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2010.2045894
3. Kim, S.-G., H. Kim, H.-D. Kang, and J.-G. Yook, "Signal integrity enhanced ebg structure with a ground reinforced trace," IEEE Transactions on Electronics Packing Manufacture, Vol. 55, No. 2, 373-380, 2010.
4. Zhang, M. S., et al., "A power plane with wideband SSN suppression using a multi-via electromagnetic bandgap structure," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 4, 307-309, 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.892992
5. Zhu, H., J. Li, and J. Mao, "Ultra-sideband suppression of SSN using localized topology with CSRRs and embedded capacitance in high-speed circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 2, 764-772, 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2231695
6. De Paulis, F., M. Cracraft, C. Olivieri, S. Connor, A. Orlandi, and B. Archambeault, "EBG-based common-mode stripline filters: Experimental investigation on interlayer crosstalk," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. PP, No. 99, 19, Jul. 2015.
7. Anand, A., K. Shambavi, and Z. C. Alex, "Design Of UWB band pass filter with inter digitalcoupled lines and circular shaped EBG structure," International Conference on Green Computing Communication and Electrical Engineering (ICGCCEE), 1-4, Mar. 6-8, 2014.
8. Gujral, M., J. L.-W. Li, T. Yuan, and C.-W. Qiu, "Bandwidth improvement of microstrip antenna array using dummy EBG pattern on feedline," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 79-92, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12022807
9. Kim, S.-H., T. T. Nguyen, and J.-H. Jang, "Reflection characteristics of 1-D EBG ground plane and its application to a planar dipole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 51-66, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11062909
10. Wu, T. L., S. T. Chert, J. N. Huang, and Y. H. Lin, "Numerical and experimental investigation of radiation caused by the switching noise on the partitioned dc reference planes of high speed digital PCB," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 46, No. 1, 33-45, Feb. 2004. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2004.823680
11. Wu, T. L., H. H. Chuang, and T. K. Wang, "Overview of power integrity solutions on package and PCB: Decoupling and EBG isolation," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 52, No. 2, 346-356, May 2010. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2009.2039575
12. Zhu, H.-R. and J.-F. Mao, "Localized planar EBG structure of CSRR for ultrawideband SSN mitigation and signal integrity improvement in mixed-signal systems," IEEE Trans. Compon. Packag., Manuf. Technol., Vol. 3, No. 12, 2092-2100, Dec. 2013. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2013.2272788
13. Yang, F.-R., K.-P. Ma, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A uniplanar compact photonic-bandgap (UC-PBG) structure and its applications for microwave circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 8, 1509-1514, Aug. 1999. doi:10.1109/22.780402
14. Li, L., B. Li, H.-H. Liu, and C.-H. Liang, "Locally resonant cavity cell model for electromagnetic bandgap structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 1, 90-100, Jan. 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.861532
15. Rao, P. H. and M. Swaminathan, "A novel compact electromagnetic bandgap structure in power plane for wideband noise suppression and low radiation," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 53, No. 4, 996-1004, Nov. 2011. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2011.2156408
16. Shi, Y., W. Tang, S. Liu, X. Rao, and Y. L. Chow, "Ultra-wideband suppression of power/ground noise in high-speed circuits using a novel electromagnetic bandgap power plane," IEEE Trans. Compon. Packag., Manuf. Technol., Vol. 3, No. 4, 653-660, Apr. 2013. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2012.2235529
17. Yuan, H., L. Fang, C. Li, S. Bo, and W. Guan, "Signal integrity analysis of localized new EBG structure for ultra-wideband simultaneous switching noise suppression," 2014 3rd Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation (APCAP), 1444-1446, Jul. 26-29, 2014.
18. Bogatin, E., Signal and Power Integrity --- Simplified, 2nd Ed., Pretince Hall, NJ, 2009.
19. Kim, K. H. and J. E. Schutt-Aine, "Analysis and modeling of hybrid planar-type electromagnetic-bandgap structures and feasibility study on power distribution network applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 1, 178-186, Jan. 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.912199
20. Kim, K. H. and J. E. Schutt-Aine, "Design of EBG power distribution networks with VHF-band cutoff frequency and small unit cell size for mixed-signal systems," EEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 7, Jul. 2007.
21. De Paulis, F., L. Raimondo, and A. Orlandi, "IR-drop analysis and thermal assessment of planar electromagnetic bandgap structures for power integrity applications," IEEE Trans. Adv. Packag., Vol. 33, No. 3, 617-622, Aug. 2010. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2009.2033572
22. Kim, T. H., D. Chung, E. Engin, W. Yun, Y. Toyota, and M. Swaminathan, " A novel synthesis method for designing electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structures in packaged mixed signal systems," Proc. 56th Electron. Compon. Technol. Conf., 1645-1651, May 30-Jun. 2, 2006.