A simple dual-port sum-difference beam antenna with high isolation is proposed. A T-shaped slot is utilized to achieve both sum-difference beam pattern and high port-isolation. The slot coupling feeding structure simplifies the feeding network and avoids complicated fabrication. The proposed antenna is simulated, fabricated and measured. Experimental validations confirm that the antenna has 10-dB impedance bandwidths of 10.2% (4.82-5.33 GHz) for the sum port and 2.0% (4.95-5.05 GHz) for the difference port, respectively. In addition, high port-isolation better than 50dB is achieved covering a wide band from 4.0 GHz to 5.5 GHz. The proposed antenna exhibits a measured peak gain of 6.3 dBi for the sum beam and a null depth better than -26 dB for the difference beam. Measured results agree well with simulated ones.
1. Sherman, S. M. and D. K. Barton, Monopulse Principles and Techniques, Artech House, 1984.
2. Song, M. Z. and T. Hong, "Sum and difference multiple beam modulation transmitted by multimode horn antenna for inverse monopulse direction-nding," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 367-380, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08032407
3. Xu, J., et al., "Sum and difference beamforming for angle-doppler estimation with STAP-based radars," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 52, 2825-2836, Dec. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAES.2016.150728
4. Yin, J., et al., "Monopulse tracking performance of multi-port eleven antenna for use in satellite communications terminals," EuCAP 2007, The Second European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2007.
5. Grimes, D. M. and C. A. Grimes, "Cradar|An open-loop extended-monopulse automotive radar," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 38, No. 3, 123-131, 1989. doi:10.1109/25.45465
6. Hansen, T. B. and M. L. Oristaglio, "Method for controlling the angular extent of interrogation zones in RFID," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 134-137, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.873936
7. Anudeep, B., "Interferometer pattern technique for antenna null synthesis," International Conference on WiSPNET, 1599-1602, 2016.
8. Lopez, P., et al., "Subarray weighting for the difference patterns of monopulse antennas: Joint optimization of subarray congurations and weights," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 11, 1606-1608, Nov. 2001. doi:10.1109/8.964098
9. Kwak, S., et al., "Asymmetric sum and difference beam pattern synthesis with a common weight vector," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1622-1625, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2519530
10. Wang, H., et al., "A compact single layer monopulse microstrip antenna array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 2, 2006.
11. Oliveri, G. and L. Poli, "Synthesis of monopulse sub-arrayed linear and planar array antennas with optimized sidelobes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 109-129, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09092510
12. Maddio, S., "A circularly polarized switched beam antenna with pattern diversity for WiFi applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 125-128, 2016.
13. Peng, H.-L., et al., "A compact single/dual-polarized broadband antenna with SUM and difference beam capabilities," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 990-993, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2087374
14. Yu, F., et al., "Single patch antenna with monopulse patterns," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 26, No. 10, 762-764, Oct. 2016. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2016.2604866
15. Labadie, N. R., S. K. Sharma, and G. M. Rebeiz, "A circularly polarized multiple radiating mode microstrip antenna for satellite receive applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, 3490-3500, 2012.
16. Yao, Y.-L., et al., "Planar wideband balun with novel slotline T-junction transition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 64, 73-79, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERL16092801
17. Gupta, K. C., R. Carg, I. Bahl, and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Lines and Slotlies, Artech House, 1996.
18. Kim, J. P. and W. S. Park, "Novel congurations of planar multilayer magic-T using microstrip- slotline transitions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 7, 1683-1688, Jul. 2002.
19. Knorr, J. B., "Slot-line transitions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 22, No. 5, 548-554, May 1974. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1974.1128278
20. Sullwan, P. L. and D. H. Schaubert, "Analysis of an aperture coupled microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, No. 8, 977-984, Aug. 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143929