In this work, different configurations of electrically reconfigurable radial waveguides are presented: a configuration with pass/stop regions, a configuration with tunable narrowband filters and a configuration with integrated phase shifters. Potential applications for the different configurations are also proposed. First, the design and experimental results for a reconfigurable radial waveguide using PIN diodes and operating in the band 5.2-5.8 GHz (11%) are presented and discussed. Then, the principle of radial waveguide with tunable narrowband filters using varactors is described and an application for Frequency Modulated Continuous Wave (FMCW) radars is proposed. Finally, a new radial-line slot array antenna with electrically beam-steering ability is proposed.
2. Nakano, H., H. Takeda, Y. Kitamura, H. Mimaki, and J. Yamauchi, "Low-profile helical array antenna fed from a radial waveguide," IEEE Trans. Ant. and Prop., Vol. 40, No. 3, 279-284, Mar. 1992.
3. Bialkowski, M. E. and P. Kabacik, "An electromagnetic-field method modeling of a radial line planar antenna with coupling probes," IEEE Trans. Ant. Propag., Vol. 51, No. 5, 1114-1120, May 2003.
4. Bialkowski, M. E. and V. P. Waris, "Electromagnetic model of a planar radial-waveguide divider/combiner incorporating probes," IEEE Trans. Micr. Theory Tech., Vol. 41, 1126-1134, Jun. 1993.
5. Song, K., Y. Fan, and Y. Zhang, "Radial cavity power divider based on substrate integrated waveguide technology," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 19, 1100-1101, 2006.
6. Schellenberg, J. and M. Cohn, "A wideband radial power combiner for FET amplifiers," IEEE ISSC Int. Dig., Vol. 21, 164-165, 1978.
7. Song, K., Y. Fan, and Y. Zhang, "Broad-band power divider based on radial waveguide," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 3, 595-597, 2007.
8. Boutayeb, H., K. Mahdjoubi, and A. C. Tarot, "Analysis of radius-periodic cylindrical structures," Proc. IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 813-816, Columbus, USA, Jun. 2003.
9. Boutayeb, H., T. Brillat, J. Daniel, F. Gadot, P. Garel, A. De Lustrac, K. Mahdjoubi, P. Ratajczak, and A.-C. Tarot, "A reconfigurable electromagnetic bandgap structure for a beam steering base station antenna," Proc. 27th ESA Antenna Technol. Workshoop Innovative Periodic Anten., Santiago de Compostela, Spain, Mar. 2004.
10. Boutayeb, H., "Electronically steerable antenna using reconfigurable power divider based on cylindrical electromagnetic band gap (CEBG) structure,", US Patent no. US09397395, 2014.
11. Boutayeb, H., P. Watson, and T. Kemp, "New reconfigurable power divider based on radial waveguide and cylindrical electromagnetic band gap structure for low power and low cost smart antenna systems," Proc. EEE Ant. and Propag. Symposium 2014, Memphis, USA, Jun. 2014.
12. Boutayeb, H., P.Watson, and T. Kemp, "Apparatus and method of a dual polarized agile cylindrical antenna array with reconfigurable radial waveguides,", US patent no. US09502765, 2015.
13. Boutayeb, H. and V. Miraftab, "System and method for electronically adjustable antenna,", US patent no. US09537461, 2017.
14. Boutayeb, H., P. Watson, W. Lu, and T. Wu, "Beam switching dual polarized antenna array with reconfigurable radial waveguide power dividers," IEEE Trans. in Ant. and Prop., Vol. 65, No. 4, Apr. 2017.
15. Skolnik, M., Introduction to Radar Systems, 3rd Ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, 2002.
16. Stove, A. G., "Linear FMCW radar techniques," IEE Proceedings — F, Vol. 139, No. 5, 343-350, 1992.
17. Tzannes, N. S., Communication and Radar Systems, Ed. Authors Choice Press, USA, 2000.