A novel high-gain and high-power cavity slot antenna is presented in this paper. The antenna consists of a slotted cavity cover, a driven antenna and a polarization twist reflector. The driven antenna is a balanced-fed dipole. And a 2×4 slots array is etched on the top surface of the cavity cover. To excite the cavity slots with uniform amplitude and phase, the polarization twist reflector is used here. Compared with the antenna without the twister, the gain is improved by almost 4.0 dB across the operating band. In addition, the field distributions of the proposed antenna are analyzed through simulation, which proves a high power-handling capacity of 3.94 MW. To verify the design, a prototype operating at 5.8 GHz bands has been fabricated and measured. The measured maximum gain and radiation efficiency are 13.6 dBi and 95%, respectively.
1. Sasaki, S., K. Tanaka, and Advanced Mission Research Group, "Wireless power transmission technologies for solar power satellite," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Workshop Ser. Innovative. Wireless Power Transmission, Technol. Syst. Appl., 3-6, 2011.
2. Shinohara, N., "Beam control technologies with a high-efficiency phased array for microwave power transmission in Japan," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 101, No. 6, 1448-1463, Jun. 2013. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2013.2253062
3. Chen, H. D., C. Y. D. Sim, J. Y. Wu, and T. W. Chiu, "Broadband high-gain microstrip array antennas for WiMAX base station," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 8, 3977-3980, Aug. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2201116
4. Jiang, Y. H., W. G. Yi, and H. C. Sun, "A new focused antenna array with circular polarization," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 12, 2936-2939, Dec. 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29471
5. Yang, T. Y., W. Hong, and Y. Zhang, "Wideband high-gain low-profile dual-polarized stacked patch antenna array with parasitic elements," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 9, 2012-2016, Sep. 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29251
6. Han, W. W., F. Yang, and H. J. Zhou, "Slotted substrate integrated cavity antenna using TE330 mode with low profile and high gain," Electron. Lett., Vol. 50, 488-490, 2014. doi:10.1049/el.2013.4073
7. Razavi, S. A. and M. H. Neshati, "Development of slot array antenna using a multiresonant SIW cavity," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, No. 11, 2763-2767, Nov. 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27938
8. Liu, Y., Y. W. Hao, and S. X. Gong, "Low-profile high-gain slot antenna with Fabry-P´erot cavity and mushroom-like electromagnetic band gap structures," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, 305-306, 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2014.4190
9. Jayasinghe, J. M. J. W., J. Anguera, and D. N. Uduwawala, "Genetic algorithm optimization of a high-directivity microstrip patch antenna having a rectangular profile," Radioengineering, Vol. 22, No. 3, 700-707, Sep. 2013.
10. Anguera, J., C. Puente, C. Borja, R. Montero, and J. Soler, "Small and high directivity bowtie patch antenna based on the Sierpinski fractal," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 31, No. 3, 239-241, Nov. 2001. doi:10.1002/mop.1407
11. Anguera, J., J. P. Daniel, C. Borja, J. Mumbr´u, C. Puente, T. Leduc, N. Laeveren, and P. Van Roy, "Metallized foams for fractal-shaped microstrip antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 6, 20-38, Dec. 2008. doi:10.1109/MAP.2008.4772718
12. Elwi, T. A., A. I. Imran, and Y. Alnaiemy, "A miniaturized lotus shaped microstrip antenna loaded with EBG structures for high gain-bandwidth product applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 60, 157-167, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC15101804
13. Cong, L. L., X. Y. Cao, W. Q. Li, and Y. Zhao, "A new design method for patch antenna with low RCS and high gain performance," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letter, Vol. 59, 77-84, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERL15012801
14. Muhammad, N., H. Umair, Z. U. Islam, Z. Khitab, I. Rashid, and F. A. Bhatti, "High gain FSS aperture coupled microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 64, 21-31, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC16022102
15. Muhammad, S. A., R. Sauleau, and H. Legay, "Small-size shielded metallic stacked Fabry-Perot cavity antennas with large bandwidth for space applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 792-802, Feb. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173133
16. Muhammad, S. A., R. Sauleau, G. Valerio, and H. Legay, "Self-polarizing Fabry-Perot antennas based on polarization twisting element," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 3, 1032-1040, Mar. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2227443
17. Li, X. Q., Q. X. Liu, X. J. Wu, L. Zhao, J. Q. Zhang, and Z. Q. Zhang, "A GW level high-power radial line helical array antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 9, 2943-2948, Sep. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.928781
18. Li, X. Q., Q. X. Liu, J. Q. Zhang, and L. Zhao, "16-element single-layer rectangular radial line helical array antenna for high-power applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 708-711, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2059371
19. Hwang, K. C., "Optimization of broadband twist reflector for Ku-band application," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, 210-211, 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20082937