In this paper, a compact MIMO antenna with improved isolation is proposed. Elliptical slots and an SRR like structure are employed to improve the isolation. The proposed MIMO antenna structure consists of two semi-circular radiators attached to a rectangular monopole which are mirror images of each other with edge to edge spacing of 0.125 λ0, where λ0 is the free space wavelength corresponding to the lowest operating frequency of the structure. Two square steps are added to the above semi-circular monopole to increase the effective path length to cover the lower frequencies. Thereafter, a semi-annular ring slot is introduced, and square steps above the semi-circular monopole are modified to curved steps to further improve the impedance bandwidth of the antenna. The mutual coupling over the wideband is reduced by placing elliptical slots and SRR like structure in the ground plane. The proposed antenna has impedance bandwidth of 2.1- 12 GHz with |S21| < -20 dB over the entire frequency range. The antenna is designed and fabricated on an FR-4 substrate having overall dimensions of 38 mm × 33.4 mm× 1.6 mm. The measured results show a good correlation with the simulated ones. The envelope correlation coefficient (ECC) of the antenna is less than 0.02 over the entire band. The proposed MIMO antenna is an appropriate candidate for 3G, 4G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and UWB applications.
1. Jensen, M. A. and J. W. Wallace, "A review of antennas and propagation for MIMO wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 11, 2810-2824, Nov. 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.835272
2. Zheng, L. and D. N. C. Tse, "Diversity and multiplexing: A fundamental tradeoff in multipleantenna channels," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 49, No. 5, 1073-1096, May 2003. doi:10.1109/TIT.2003.810646
3. Shaban, H. F., H. A. Elmikaty, and A. A. Shaalan, "Study the effects of Electromagnetic Band-Gap (EBG) substrate on two patches microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 10, 55-74, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08081901
4. Ghosh, S., T. Tran, and T. Le-Ngoc, "Dual-layer EBG-based miniaturized multi-element antenna for MIMO systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 8, 3985-3997, Aug. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2323410
5. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with Electromagnetic Band-Gap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, Oct. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817983
6. Zhai, G., Z. N. Chen, and X. Qing, "Enhanced isolation of a closely spaced four-element MIMO antenna System using metamaterial mushroom," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 8, 3362-3370, Aug. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2434403
7. Zhang, Q., Y. Jin, J. Feng, X. Lv, and L. Si, "Mutual coupling reduction of microstrip antenna array using metamaterial absorber," 2015 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on Advanced Materials and Processes for RF and THz Applications (IMWS-AMP), 1-3, China, 2015.
8. Habashil, A., J. Nourinia, and C. Ghobadi, "A rectangular Defected Ground Structure (DGS) for reduction of mutual coupling between closely-spaced microstrip antennas," 20th Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering (ICEE2012), 1347-1350, Iran, May 15–17, 2012.
9. Fang, Q., D. Mi, and Y. Yin, "A tri-band MIMO antenna for WLAN/WiMAX application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 55, 75-80, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERL15070202
10. Anitha, R., P. V. Vinesh, S. Mathew, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Collocated MIMO antenna with reduced mutual coupling using square ring DGS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 53, 119-125, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14072107
11. Qin, H. and Y. Liu, "Compact UWB MIMO antenna with ACS-fed structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 50, 29-37, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14033105
12. Xia, X., Q. Chu, and J. Li, "Design of a compact wideband MIMO antenna for mobile terminals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 41, 163-174, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13042104
13. Cheng, Y., W. Lu, C. Cheng, W. Cao, and Y. Li, "Compact diversity antenna with T shape stub for ultra-wideband applications," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Dec. 16–20, 2008.
14. Prasanna, K. M. and S. K. Behera, "Compact two-port UWB MIMO antenna system with high isolation using a fork-shaped structure," 2013 International Conference on Communication and Signal Processing (ICCSP), 726-729, Apr. 3–5, 2013.
15. Najam, A. I., Y. Duroc, and S. Tedjini, "Design and analysis of MIMO antennas for UWB communications," Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, Apr. 12–16, 2010.
16. Najam, A., Y. Duroc, and S. Tedjni, "UWB-MIMO antenna with novel stub structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 19, 245-257, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERC10121101
17. Yang, X., L. Zhou, S. Qiu, and J. Li, "Two UWB-MIMO antennas with high isolation using isolation stubs," IEEE International Conference on Communication Problem-Solving (ICCP), 154-156, Dec. 5–7, 2014.
18. Kong, Y., Y. Li, and W. Yu, "Design of a compact dual-element MIMO-UWB antenna by using slot and stub," IEEE 4th Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation (APCAP), 101-102, Jun. 30–Jul. 3, 2015.
19. Verma, A. K., R. Nakkeeran, and R. K. Vardhan, "Design of 2 × 2 single sided wrench shaped UWB MIMO antenna with high isolation," EEE International Conference on Circuit, Power and Computing Technologies [ICCPCT], 1-3, Mar. 18–19, 2016.
20. Zhang, S., Z. Ying, J. Xiong, and S. He, "Ultrawideband MIMO/diversity antennas with a treelike structure to enhance wideband isolation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1279-1282, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2037027
21. See, T. S. P. and Z. N. Chen, "An ultrawideband diversity antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 6, 1597-1605, Jun. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2019908
22. Li, Y., W. X. Li, C. Liu, and T. Jiang, "Two UWB-MIMO antennas with high isolation using sleeve coupled stepped impedance resonators," IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 21-22, Singapore, Aug. 27–29, 2012.
23. Kharche, S., G. S. Reddy, B. Mukherjee, R. Gupta, and J. Mukherjee, "MIMO antenna for Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Wi-MAX and UWB Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 52, 53-62, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14041105
24. Ren, J., D. Mi, and Y. Yin, "Compact ultrawideband MIMO Antenna with WLAN/UWB bands coverage," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 50, 121-129, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14041701
25. Jusoh, M., M. F. Jamlos, M. R. Kamarudin, and F. Malek, "A MIMO antenna design challenges for UWB application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 36, 357-371, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERB11092701
26. Gao, G., B. Hu, and J. S. Zhang, "Design of a miniaturization printed circular-slot UWB antenna by the half-cutting method," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 567-570, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2259790
27. Ahmed, O. and A. R. Sebak, "A printed monopole antenna with two steps and a circular slot for UWB applications," IEEE AntennasAnd Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 411-413, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2001026
28. Kharche, S., R. K. Gupta, and J. Mukherjee, "Mutual coupling reduction using variable length SRR like structure in ultra wideband MIMO antennas," IEEE MTT International Conference on Microwave and RF (IMaRC), India, 2015.
29., , IE3D Release 14, Zeland Software Inc., Fremont, CA, USA, 2008.
30. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, May 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20030495