A Ku-band bandpass frequency selective surface (FSS) with high selectivity and miniaturization is proposed in this paper. We use two metallic strips and one slot to design the frequency selective surface structure which contains both electrical and magnetic couplings. A metallic via is introduced in the FSS element for miniaturization. With the via inserted at the end of the metallic strip, the FSS unit size is reduced to half compared to that without via inserted. To investigate the operating principle of the slot-coupled FSS, an equivalent-circuit model is given and analysed using the odd- and even-mode method. The constructed out-of-phase signal path causes two transmission zeros (TZs) near the skirts of the narrow pass band, thereby enhancing the selectivity. A prototype of the proposed FSS operating at 16GHz is fabricated and measured. The measured results agree well with the full-wave and circuit simulation results, thus verifying the FSS design.
"A Miniaturized Bandpass Frequency Selective Surface with High Selectivity Base on Slot Coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 76, 99-108, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC17051504
1. Behdad, N., "A second-order band-pass frequency selective surface using non-resonant subwavelength periodic structures," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 6, 1639-1643, Jun. 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23445
2. Al-Joumayly, M. and N. Behdad, "Wideband planar microwave lenses using sub-wavelength spatial phase shifters," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 12, 4542-4552, Dec. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2165515
3. Encinar, J. A., "Design of two-layer printed reflectarrays using patches of variable size," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 10, 1403-1410, Oct. 2001. doi:10.1109/8.954929
4. Munk, B. A., Frequency Selective Surfaces: Theory and Design, Wiley, New York, 2000. doi:10.1002/0471723770
5. Al-Joumayly, M. A. and N. Behdad, "A generalized method for synthesizing low-profile, bandpass frequency selective surfaces with non-resonant constituting elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 12, 4033-4041, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2078474
6. Ohira, M., H. Deguchi, M. Tsuji, and H. Shigesawa, "Novel waveguide filters with multiple attenuation poles using dual-behavior resonance of frequency-selective surfaces," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3320-3326, Nov. 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.857334
7. Tamijani, A. A., K. Sarabandi, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Antenna-filter-antenna arrays as a class of bandpass frequency-selective surfaces," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 52, No. 8, 1781-1789, Aug. 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.831572
8. Li, B. and Z. Shen, "Three-dimensional bandpass frequency selective structures with multiple transmission zeros," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 61, No. 10, 3578-3589, Oct. 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2013.2279776
9. Tardy, I., C. H. Chan, and J. S. Yee, "Analysis of Yee frequency selective surface," IEEE Antenna Propag. Soc. Symp. Dig., Vol. 1, 196-199, London, ON, Canada, 1991.
10. Chan, C. H., "Novel terahertz dual-polarized frequency selective surface with high frequency selectivity," IEEE 2014 International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), 2014.
11. Yang, G., T. Zhang, W. Li, and Q. Wu, "A novel stable miniaturized frequency selective surface," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1018-1021, Nov. 2010.
12. Liu, H. L., K. L. Ford, and R. J. Langley, "Design methodology for a miniaturized frequency selective surface using lumped reactive components," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 9, 2732-2738, Sep. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2027174
13. Yu, Y.-M., C.-N. Chiu, Y.-P. Chiou, and T.-L. Wu, "A novel 2.5-dimensional ultraminiaturizedelement frequency selective surface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 7, 3657-3663, Jul. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2321153
14. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 2001. doi:10.1002/0471221619
15. Lee, C. K. and R. J. Langley, "Equivalent-circuit models for frequency-selective surfaces at oblique angles of incidence," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng. — Microw. Antennas Propag. H, Vol. 132, Part 6, 395-399, Oct. 1985.
16. Ma, K. X., J. G. Ma, K. S. Yeo, and M. A. Do, "A compact coupling controllable filter with separate electric and magnetic coupling paths," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 54, No. 3, 1113-1119, Mar. 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.864118
17. Tyurnev, V. V., "Coupling coefficients of resonators in microwave filter theory," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 21, 47-67, 2010.