A decoupling network for a pair of strongly coupled MIMO antennas is presented. The decoupling network is composed of two inverters and two split ring resonators (SRRs) that are also coupled. By properly transforming the mutual admittance of the original coupled antennas and properly designing the coupling between the two SRRs, more than 20dB isolation between the two antennas can be achieved while their respective matching performances remain good. To validate the concept, a microstrip decoupling network is designed and implemented for a pair of wideband printed monopole antenna elements. Measurement results have demonstrated that nearly 10% bandwidth for 20 dB isolation can be achieved. Measured radiation patterns have demonstrated a significant reduction of the correlation coefficient, which makes the proposed technique a promising candidate for both current and future generations of MIMO-enabled mobile terminals.
2. Vaughan, R. and J. B. Anderson, Channels, Propagation and Antennas for Mobile Communications, The Institute of Electrical Engineers, London, U.K., 2003.
3. Jensen, M. A. and J. W. Wallace, "A review of antennas and propagation for MIMO wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 11, 2810-2824, Nov. 2004.
4. Yang, F. and Y. R. Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap EBG structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, Oct. 2003.
5. Chiu, C. Y., C. H. Cheng, R. D. Murch, and C. R. Rowell, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely-packed antenna element," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1732-1738, Jun. 2007.
6. Ghosh, S., T.-N. Tran, and T. Le-Ngoc, "Dual-layer EBG-based miniaturized multi-element antenna for MIMO systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 8, 3985-3997, Aug. 2014.
7. Mavridou, M., A.-P. Feresidis, and P. Gardner, "Tunable double-layer EBG structures and application to antenna isolation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 1, 70-79, Jan. 2016.
8. Andersen, J. B. and H. H. Rasmussen, "Decoupling and descattering networks for antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 24, 841-846, Nov. 1976.
9. Chang, S., Y.-S. Wang, and S.-J. Chung, "A decoupling technique for increasing the port isolation between strongly coupled antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3650-3658, Dec. 2008.
10. Volmer, C., J. Weber, R. Stephan, K. Blau, and M. A. Hein, "An eigen-analysis of compact antenna arrays and its application to port decoupling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 2, 360-370, Feb. 2008.
11. Zhao, L., L. K. Yeung, and K.-L. Wu, "A coupled resonator decoupling network for two-element compact antenna arrays in mobile terminals," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 5, 2767-2776, May 2014.
12. Diallo, A., C. Luxey, P. L. Thuc, R. Staraj, and G. Kossiavas, "Study and reduction of the mutual coupling between two mobile phone PIFAs operating in the DCS1800 and UMTS bands," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3063-3073, Nov. 2006.
13. Lau, B. K. and J. B. Andersen, "Simple and efficient decoupling of compact arrays with parasitic scatterers," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 464-472, Feb. 2012.
14. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2005.
15. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2011.
16., , [Online], Available: http:// http://www.keysight.com/.
17., , [Online], Available: http://www.satimo.com/.
18., , [Online], Available: https://bluetest.se/.