In scattering experiments, incident fields are usually produced by aperture antennas or lasers. Nevertheless, incident plane waves are usually preferred to simplify theoretical analysis. The aim of this paper is the analysis of the electromagnetic scattering from a perfectly electrically conducting polygonal cross-section cylinder when a Gaussian beam impinges upon it. Assuming TM/TE incidence with respect to the cylinder axis, the problem is formulated as electric/magnetic field integral equation in the spectral domain, respectively. The Method of analytical preconditioning is applied in order to guarantee the convergence of the discretization scheme. Moreover, fast convergence is achieved in terms of both computation time and storage requirements by choosing expansion functions reconstructing the behaviour of the fields on the wedges with a closed-form spectral domain counterpart and by means of an analytical asymptotic acceleration technique.
2. Roy, T., T. K. Sarkar, A. R. Djordjevic, and M. Salazar-Palma, "A hybrid method solution of scattering by conducting cylinders (TM case)," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 44, No. 12, 2145-2151, Dec. 1996.
3. Yashiro, K. and S. Ohkawa, "Boundary element method for electromagnetic scattering from cylinders," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 33, No. 4, 383-389, Apr. 1985.
4. Michaeli, A., "A uniform GTD solution for the far-field scattering by polygonal cylinders and strips," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 35, No. 8, 983-986, Aug. 1987.
5. Tiberio, R., G. Manara, G. Pelosi, and R. G. Kouyoumijian, "High frequency electromagnetic scattering of plane waves from double wedges," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 37, No. 9, 1172-1180, Sep. 1989.
6. Nosich, A. I., "Method of analytical regularization in computational photonics," Radio Science, Vol. 51, No. 8, 1421-1430, Aug. 2016.
7. Li, Q. and R. J. Vernon, "Theoretical and experimental investigation of Gaussian beam transmission and reflection by a dielectric slab at 110 GHz," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3449-3457, Nov. 2006.
8. Collin, R. E., "Scattering of an incident gaussian beam by a perfectly conducting rough surface," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 42, No. 1, 70-74, Jan. 1994.
9. Shavit, R., T. Wells, and A. Cohen, "Scattering analysis of arbitrarily shaped cylinders in a focused beam system," IEE Proc. — Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 145, No. 4, 289-294, Aug. 1998.
10. Pelosi, G. and S. Selleri, "A numerical approach for the diffraction of a Gaussian beam from a perfectly conducting wedge," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, No. 10, 1555-1559, Oct. 1999.
11. Petersson, L. E. R. and G. S. Smith, "Three-dimensional electromagnetic diffraction of a Gaussian beam by a perfectly conducting half-plane," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 19, No. 11, 2265-2280, Nov. 2002.
12. Wang, G. X., Y.-B. Gan, and L.-W. Li, "Electromagnetic scattering by partially buried PEC cylinder at the dielectric rough surface interface: TM case," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, 319-322, 2003.
13. Yang, J., L.-W. Li, K. Yasumoto, and C.-H. Liang, "Two-dimensional scattering of a Gaussian beam by a periodic array of circular cylinders," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 43, No. 2, 280-285, Feb. 2005.
14. Hillairet, J., J. Sokoloff, and S. Bolioli, "Uniform analytic scattered fields of a PEC plate illuminated by a vector paraxial gaussian beam," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 14, 203-217, 2009.
15. Zhang, H., Y. Sun, and Z. Huang, "Scattering by a multilayered infinite cylinder arbitrarily illuminated with a shaped beam," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 11, 4369-4371, Nov. 2011.
16. Han, Y., Z. Cui, and W. Zhao, "Scattering of Gaussian beam by arbitrarily shaped particles with multiple internal inclusions," Opt. Express, Vol. 20, 718-731, 2012.
17. Whitman, G. M., Q. Wang, P. Spector, and F. K. Schwering, "Gaussian beam scattering from a deterministic rough metal surface," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 5, 1868-1876, May 2016.
18. Kolmogorov, A. N. and S. V. Fomin, Elements of the Theory of Functions and Functional Analysis, Dover, New York, 1999.
19. Meixner, J., "The behavior of electromagnetic fields at edges," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 20, 442-446, 1972.
20. Eswaran, K., "On the solutions of a class of dual integral equations occurring in diffraction problems," Proc. Roy. Soc. London, Ser. A, Vol. 429, 399–427, 1990.
21. Veliev, E. I. and V. V. Veremey, "Numerical-analytical approach for the solution to the wave scattering by polygonal cylinders and flat strip structures," Analytical and Numerical Methods in Electromagnetic Wave Theory, M. Hashimoto, M. Idemen, and O. A. Tretyakov (eds.), Science House, Tokyo, 1993.
22. Davis, M. J. and R. W. Scharstein, "Electromagnetic plane wave excitation of an open-ended finitelength conducting cylinder," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 7, 301-319, 1993.
23. Hongo, K. and H. Serizawa, "Diffraction of electromagnetic plane wave by rectangular plate and rectangular hole in the conducting plate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, No. 6, 1029-1041, Jun. 1999.
24. Bliznyuk, N. Y., A. I. Nosich, and A. N. Khizhnyak, "Accurate computation of a circular-disk printed antenna axisymmetrically excited by an electric dipole," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 25, No. 3, 211-216, 2000.
25. Tsalamengas, J. L., "Rapidly converging direct singular integral-equation techniques in the analysis of open microstrip lines on layered substrates," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 3, 555-559, Mar. 2001.
26. Losada, V., R. R. Boix, and F. Medina, "Fast and accurate algorithm for the short-pulse electromagnetic scattering from conducting circular plates buried inside a lossy dispersive halfspace," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 41, 988-997, May 2003.
27. Lucido, M., G. Panariello, and F. Schettino, "Accurate and efficient analysis of stripline structures," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 43, No. 1, 14-21, Oct. 2004.
28. Hongo, K. and Q. A. Naqvi, "Diffraction of electromagnetic wave by disk and circular hole in a perfectly conducting plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 113-150, 2007.
29. Coluccini, G., M. Lucido, and G. Panariello, "TM scattering by perfectly conducting polygonal cross-section cylinders: A new surface current density expansion retaining up to the second-order edge behavior," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 1, 407-412, Jan. 2012.
30. Lucido, M., "An analytical technique to fast evaluate mutual coupling integrals in spectral domain analysis of multilayered coplanar coupled striplines," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 4, 1035-1039, Apr. 2012.
31. Coluccini, G., M. Lucido, and G. Panariello, "Spectral domain analysis of open single and coupled microstrip lines with polygonal cross-section in bound and leaky regimes," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 61, No. 2, 736-745, Feb. 2013.
32. Lucido, M., "An efficient evaluation of the self-contribution integrals in the spectral-domain analysis of multilayered striplines," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 360-363, 2013.
33. Coluccini, G. and M. Lucido, "A new high efficient analysis of the scattering by a perfectly conducting rectangular plate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 5, 2615-2622, May 2013.
34. Lucido, M., "Electromagnetic scattering by a perfectly conducting rectangular plate buried in a lossy half-space," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 52, No. 10, 6368-6378, Oct. 2014.
35. Corsetti, F., M. Lucido, and G. Panariello, "Effective analysis of the propagation in coupled rectangular-core waveguides," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 26, No. 18, 1855-1858, Sep. 2014.
36. Di Murro, F., M. Lucido, G. Panariello, and F. Schettino, "Guaranteed-convergence method of analysis of the scattering by an arbitrarily oriented zero-thickness PEC disk buried in a lossy half-space," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 8, 3610-3620, Aug. 2015.
37. Lucido, M., M. D. Migliore, and D. Pinchera, "A new analytically regularizing method for the analysis of the scattering by a hollow finite-length PEC circular cylinder," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 70, 55-71, 2016.
38. Lucido, M., G. Panariello, and F. Schettino, "Scattering by a zero-thickness PEC disk: A new analytically regularizing procedure based on Helmholtz decomposition and galerkin method," Radio Science, Vol. 52, No. 1, 2-14, Jan. 2017.
39. Jones, D. S., The Theory of Electromagnetism, Pergamon Press, 1964.
40. Gradshteyn, I. S. and I. M. Ryzhik, Table of Integrals, Series, and Products, Academic, London, U.K., 1994.
41. Abramowitz, M. and I. A. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Functions, Verlag Harri Deutsch, The Netherlands, 1984.