This study presents a novel technique for designing an ultra-wideband (UWB) filtering-antenna with dual sharp band notches. This design composed of a modified monopole antenna integrated with resonant structures. The monopole antenna is modified using microstrip transition between the feedline and the patch. In addition, block with a triangle-shaped slot is loaded on both sides of the ordinary circular patch to produce wide bandwidth with better return loss and higher frequency skirt selectivity. The resonant structures based on two double split ring resonators (DSRR) loaded above the ground plane of the antenna design to produce dual notched bands, and filter out WiMAX (3.3-3.7 GHz) and HiperLAN2 (5.4-5.7 GHz) frequencies. The band notch position is controlled by varying the length of the DSRR. The reconfigurability feature is achieved by using two PIN diode switches employed in the two DSRR. The measured results show that the proposed filtering-antenna provides wide impedance bandwidth from 2.58 to 15.5 GHz with controllable dual sharp band notches for WiMAX and HiperLAN, peak realized gain of 4.96 dB and omnidirectional radiation pattern.
2. Jusoh, M. R. K. M., M. F. Jamlos, M. H. M. M. F. Malek, M. A. Romli, Z. A. Ahmad, and M. S. Zulkifli, "A reconfigurable ultrawideband (UWB) compact tree-design antenna system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 30, 131-145, 2012.
3. Osman, M. A. R., M. K. a Rahim, N. a Samsuri, H. a M. Salim, and M. F. Ali, "Embroidered fully textile wearable antenna for medical monitoring applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 321-337, 2011.
4. Rahimi, M., R. A. Sadeghzadeh, and F. B. Zarrabi, "Band-notched UWB monopole antenna design with novel feed for taper rectangular radiating patch," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 47, 147-155, 2014.
5. Labade, R., S. Deosarkar, and N. Pisharoty, "Compact integrated bluetooth UWB antenna with quadruple bandnotched characteristics," Int. J. Electr. Comput. Eng., Vol. 5, No. 6, 1433-1440, 2015.
6. Cal, G., P. Bari, and R. David, "A new triple band circularly polarized square slot antenna design with crooked t and f-shape strips for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 503-526, 2012.
7. Liao, Z., F. Zhang, G. Xie, W. Zhai, and L. Chen, "An omni-directional and band-notched ultra wideband antenna on double substrates crossing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 22, 231-240, 2011.
8. Chu, Q. X. and Y. Y. Yang, "A compact ultrawideband antenna with 3.4/5.5GHz dual bandnotched characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3637-3644, 2008.
9. Morabito, A. F., A, R. Lagana, and T. Isernia, "Isophoric array antennas with a low number of control points: A ‘Size Tapered’ solution," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letter, Vol. 36, 121-131, 2013.
10. Rocca, P. and A. F. Morabito, "Optimal synthesis of reconfigurable planar arrays with simplified architectures for monopulse radar applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., 1-11, 2014.
11. Sam, W. Y. and Z. Zakaria, "A review on reconfigurable integrated filter and antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 63, 263-273, 2015.
12. Haider, N., D. Caratelli, and A. G. Yarovoy, "Recent developments in reconfigurable and multiband antenna technology," Int. J. Antennas Propag., 1-14, 2013.
13. Alhegazi, A., Z. Zakaria, N. A. Shairi, A. Salleh, and S. Ahmed, "Review of recent developments in filtering-antennas," Int. J. Commun. Antenna Propag., Vol. 6, 125-131, 2016.
14. Yadav, A., D. Sethi, and R. K. Khanna, "Slot loaded UWB antenna: Dual band notched characteristics," AEU — Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 70, No. 3, 331-335, 2016.
15. Emadian, S. R. and J. Ahmadi-Shokouh, "Very small dual band-notched rectangular slot antenna with enhanced impedance bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 10, 4529-4534, 2015.
16. Mehranpour, M., J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, and M. Ojaroudi, "Dual band-notched square monopole antenna for ultrawideband applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 172-175, 2012.
17. Jiang, D., Y. Xu, R. Xu, and W. Lin, "Compact dual-band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with modified CSRR," Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 20, 1250, 2012.
18. Gomes, C. and M. Z. A. Kadir, "Improved dual band-notched UWB slot antenna with controllable notched bandwidths," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 333-349, 2011.
19. Tang, Z., X. Wu, Z. Xi, and S. Hu, "Novel compact dual-band-notched ultra-wideband printed antenna with a parasitic circular ring strip," Int. J. Microw. Wirel. Technol., 1-7, 2015.
20. Moosazadeh, M., A. M. Abbosh, and Z. Esmati, "Design of compact planar ultrawideband antenna with dual-notched bands using slotted square patch and pi-shaped conductor-backed plane," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 9, 2053-2056, 2012.
21. Ojaroudi, M., N. Ojaroudi, and N. Ghadimi, "Dual band-notched small monopole antenna with novel W-shaped conductor backed-plane and novel T-shaped slot for UWB applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 12, 181-185, 2013.
22. Hu, Z., Y. Hu, Y. Luo, and W. Xin, "A novel rectangle tree fractal UWB antenna with dual band notch characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 68, 21-30, 2016.
23. Saxena, A. and R. P. S. Gangwar, "A compact UWB antenna with dual band-notched at WiMAX and WLAN for UWB applications," 2016 Int. Conf. Electr. Electron. Optim. Tech., 4381-4386, 2016.
24. Abdollahvand, M., G. Dadashzadeh, and D. Mostafa, "Compact dual band-notched printed monopole antenna for UWB application," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1148-1151, 2010.
25. Lee, D. H., H.-Y. Yang, and Y.-K. Cho, "Ultra-wideband tapered slot antenna with dual bandnotched characteristics," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 8, No. 1, 29-38, 2014.
26. Oraizi, H. and N. Valizade Shahmirzadi, "Frequency- and time-domain analysis of a novel UWB reconfigurable microstrip slot antenna with switchable notched bands," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 11, No. 8, 1127-1132, 2017.
27. Gao, G., B. Hu, L. He, S.Wang, and Y. Chen, "Investigation of a reconfigurable dual notched UWB antenna by conceptual circuit model and time-domain characteristics," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, No. 6, 1326-1332, 2017.
28. Kumar, A., I. B. Sharma, and M.M. Sharma, "Reconfigurable circular disc monopole UWB antenna with switchable two notched stop bands," India Conf. (INDICON), 2016 IEEE Annu., 2-5, 2016.
29. Abunjaileh, A. I., "Multimode and multiband microstrip antennas,", PhD Thesis, University of Leeds, 2007.
30. Tiang, J., M. Islam, N. Misran, and J. Mandeep, "Circular microstrip slot antenna for dualfrequency RFID application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 425-434, 2011.
31. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, Vol. 1, 144-146, University Massachusetts Amherst, 2011.
32. Srifi, M. N., S. K. Podilchak, M. Essaaidi, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Compact disc monopole antennas for current and future ultrawideband (UWB) applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 12, 4470-4480, 2011.
33. Alhegazi, A., Z. Zakaria, N. A. Shairi, A. Salleh, and S. Ahmed, "Integrated filtering antenna with high selectivity band rejection for UWB applications," Przeglad Elektrotechniczny, No. 9, 224-228, 2016.
34. Gheethan, A. A. and D. E. Anagnostou, "Dual band-reject UWB antenna with sharp rejection of narrow and closely-spaced bands," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 4, 2071-2076, 2012.
35. Hamid, M. R., P. S. Hall, P. Gardner, and F. Ghanem, "Switched WLAN-wideband tapered slot antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 1, 23, 2010.
36. Rayno, J. T. and S. K. Sharma, "Frequency reconfigurable spirograph planar monopole antenna (SPMA)," Proc. ISAP2012, Nagoya, Japan, 1305-1308, 2012.
37. Kim, D., "A high performance IBC-Hub transceiver for intrabody communication system," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 12, 2781-2784, 2012.
38. Horn, A. F., P. A. Lafrance, and J. W. Reynolds, "The influence of test method, conductor profile, and substrate anisotropy on the permittivity values required for accurate modeling of high frequency planar circuits," Circuit World, Vol. 38, No. 4, 219-231, 2012.
39. Nasrabadi, E. and P. Rezaei, "A novel design of reconfigurable monopole antenna with switchable triple band-rejection for UWB applications," Int. J. Microw. Wirel. Technol., 1-7, 2015.
40. Semiconductors, N. X. P., "BAP64-02," NXP Semiconductor Malaysia Sdn. Bhd., 2015, Available: http://www.nxp.com/documents/data sheet/BAP64-02.pdf. [Accessed: 20-Dec.-2016].
41. Shairi, N. A., Z. Zakaria, A. M. S. Zobilah, B. H. Ahmad, and P. W. Wong, "Design of SPDT switch with transmission line stub resonator for WiMAX and LTE in 3.5GHz band," ARPN J. Eng. Appl. Sci., Vol. 11, No. 5, 3198-3202, 2016.
42. Rahman, T. A., "Reconfigurable ultra wideband antenna design and development for wireless communication,", PhD, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, 2008.
43. Tang, M.-C., R. W. Ziolkowski, and S. Xiao, "Compact hyper-band printed slot antenna with stable radiation properties," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 6, 2962-2969, 2014.
44. Tang, M., S. Member, H. Wang, T. Deng, S. Member, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Compact planar ultrawideband antennas with continuously tunable, independent band-notched filters," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 8, 3292-3301, 2016.
45. Biomedica, I. and E. D. Telecomu, "Design of a novel super wide band circularhexagonal fractal antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 53-89, 2013.