The salient individual properties of BaFe12O19, MWCNT, and PANI show promise in exhibiting excellent electromagnetic interference (EMI) shielding when they are combined. This research work focuses on developing a composite consisting of all three materials through a simple polymerization process and then evaluating its potential EMI shielding behaviour through electromagnetic measurements. The composite formation was morphologically and structurally verified through XRD, FTIR and FESEM measurements. The presence of main functional groups characteristic to PANI in the composite samples as shown by its FTIR spectra indicates its successful preparation through this method while FESEM micrographs show the random distribution of the composite constituents. The composite is conductive in nature with values reaching as high as 12.43 S/m for the composite with the highest MWCNT wt% (BPM_1_3_25). Electromagnetic measurements done at the X-band show promising EMI shielding behaviour in all prepared composites. The overall highest SEA values are shown by sample BPM_1_3_25 with a minimum shielding value of 65 dB throughout the whole frequency band, far exceeding that of pure MWCNT.
2. Jani, R. K., M. K. Patra, L. Saini, A. Shukla, C. P. Singh, and S. R. Vadera, "Tuning of microwave absorption properties and Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) shielding effectiveness of nanosize conducting black-silicone rubber composites over 8–18 GHz," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 58, 193-204, 2017.
3. Xing, D., L. Lu, W. Tang, Y. Xie, and Y. Tang, "An ultra-thin multilayer carbon fiber reinforced composite for absorption-dominated EMI shielding application," Materials Letters, Vol. 207, 165-168, 2017.
4. Tong, X. C., Advanced Materials and Design for Electromagnetic Interference Shielding, Taylor & Francis, 2008.
5. Li, L., K. Chen, H. Liu, G. Tong, H. Qian, and B. Hao, "Attractive microwave-absorbing properties of M-BaFe12O19 ferrite," Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 557, 11-17, 2013.
6. Pullar, R. C., "Hexagonal ferrites: A review of the synthesis, properties and applications of hexaferrite ceramics," Progress in Materials Science, Vol. 57, 1191-1334, 2012.
7. Wang, Y., T. Li, L. Zhao, Z. Hu, and Y. Gu, "Research progress on nanostructured radar absorbing materials," Energy and Power Engineering, Vol. 3, 580, 2011.
8. Huo, J., L. Wang, and H. Yu, "Polymeric nanocomposites for electromagnetic wave absorption," Journal of Materials Science, Vol. 44, 3917-3927, 2009.
9. Zahari, M. H., B. H. Guan, E. M. Cheng, M. F. Che Mansor, and K. C. Lee, "EMI shielding effectiveness of composites based on barium ferrite, PANI, and MWCNT," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 52, 79-87, 2016.
10. Xu, G., H. Ma, M. Zhong, J. Zhou, Y. Yue, and Z. He, "Influence of pH on characteristics of BaFe12O19 powder prepared by sol-gel auto-combustion," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 301, 383-388, 2006.
11. Liu, J., W. Zhang, C. Guo, and Y. Zeng, "Synthesis and magnetic properties of quasi-single domain M-type barium hexaferrite powders via sol-gel auto-combustion: Effects of pH and the ratio of citric acid to metal ions (CA/M)," Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 479, 863-869, 2009.
12. Quillard, S., G. Louarn, S. Lefrant, and A. MacDiarmid, "Vibrational analysis of polyaniline: A comparative study of leucoemeraldine, emeraldine, and pernigraniline bases," Physical Review B, Vol. 50, 12496, 1994.
13. Li, Y., Y. Huang, S. Qi, L. Niu, Y. Zhang, and Y. Wu, "Preparation, magnetic and electromagnetic properties of polyaniline/strontium ferrite/multiwalled carbon nanotubes composite," Applied Surface Science, Vol. 258, 3659-3666, 2012.
14. Xu, P., X. Han, and M. Wang, "Synthesis and magnetic properties of BaFe12O19 hexaferrite nanoparticles by a reverse microemulsion technique," The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Vol. 111, 5866-5870, 2007.
15. Li, G., S. Yan, E. Zhou, and Y. Chen, "Preparation of magnetic and conductive NiZn ferritepolyaniline nanocomposites with core-shell structure," Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, Vol. 276, 40-44, 2006.
16. Zhang, L. and M. Wan, "Synthesis and characterization of self-assembled polyaniline nanotubes doped with D-10-camphorsulfonic acid," Nanotechnology, Vol. 13, 750, 2002.
17. Sandler, J., J. Kirk, I. Kinloch, M. Shaffer, and A. Windle, "Ultra-low electrical percolation threshold in carbon-nanotube-epoxy composites," Polymer, Vol. 44, 5893-5899, 2003.
18. Konyushenko, E. N., J. Stejskal, M. Trchova, J. Hradil, J. Kovarova, J. Prokes, M. Cieslar, J.- Y. Hwang, K.-H. Chen, and I. Sapurina, "Multi-wall carbon nanotubes coated with polyaniline," Polymer, Vol. 47, 5715-5723, 2006.
19. Pullar, R., S. Appleton, and A. Bhattacharya, "The manufacture, characterisation and microwave properties of aligned M ferrite fibres," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 186, 326-332, 1998.
20. Verma, V., J. Kapil, and N. Singh, "Structural, magnetic properties of soft and hard ferrites and their EMI shielding application in X-band frequency range," International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT), 557-560, 2014.