In present scenario, this paper intends to demonstrate the practicality of a miniaturized coplanar waveguide fed metamaterial inspired antenna that can be effectively operated at dual bands. A broad-side coupled Split Ring Resonator is used to obtain dual bands with an impedance bandwidth (-10 dB) of 840 MHz (3.00-3.84 GHz) and 310 MHz (5.94-6.25 GHz), which resonates at dual bands, viz., 3.42 GHz and 6.07 GHz. The impedance bandwidth (S11<-10 dB) is 25% for the first band and 5.1% for the second band. The size of the antenna is 31 × 25 × 1.6 mm3 realized on a low-cost FR-4 Epoxy substrate. This antenna can be effectively utilized in worldwide interoperability for microwave access (WiMAX) and wireless access in vehicular environments (WAVE) applications. The prototype of the proposed antenna is fabricated and measured. Simulated and measured results are in agreeing nature. Experimental and simulated analyses of the antenna including parametric and dispersion characteristics are dealt in this communication.
1. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of and μ," Sov. Phys. Usp., Vol. 10, 509-514, 1968. doi:10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
2. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Electromagnetic metamaterials: Transmission line theory and microwave applications," Wiley — IEEE Press, New York, 2005.
3. Marques, R., F. Martina, and M. Sorolla, "Metamaterials with negative parameters: Theory, design and microwave applications," Wiley — Interscience, 2007.
4. Si, L. M., W. Zhu, and H. J. Sun, "A compact, planar, and CPW-fed metamaterial-inspired dualband antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 305-308, 2013, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2013.2249037. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2249037
5. Erentok, A. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Metamaterial-inspired Efficient electrically small antennas," IEEE Transactions Antennas Propagation Letters, Vol. 56, No. 3, 691-707, 2008, doi: 10.1109/TAP.2008.916949. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.916949
6. Basaran, S. C. and Y. E. Erdemli, "A dual band split ring monopole antenna for WLAN applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, 2685-2688, 2009, doi: 10.1002/mop.24708. doi:10.1002/mop.24708
7. Liu, H.-W., C.-H. Ku, and C.-F. Yang, "Novel CPW-fed planar monopole antenna for WiMAX/WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 240-243, 2010, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2010.2044860. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2044860
8. Yang, K., H. Wang, Z. Lei, Y. Xie, and H. Lai, "CPW-fed slot antenna with triangular SRR terminated feed line for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, 685-686, 2011, doi: 10.1049/el.2011.1232. doi:10.1049/el.2011.1232
9. Quan, X. L., R. L. Li, Y. H. Cui, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Analysis and design of a compact dual-band directional antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 547-550, 2012, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2012.2199458. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2199458
10. Pandeeswari, R. and S. Raghavan, "A CPW-fed triple band OCSRR embedded monopole antenna with modified ground for WLAN and Wi-MAX applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 2413-2418, 2015, doi: 10.1002/mop.29352. doi:10.1002/mop.29352
11. Sharma, S. K. and R. K. Chaudhary, "Dual-band metamaterial-inspired antenna for mobile applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 1444-1447, 2015, doi: 10.1002/mop.29113. doi:10.1002/mop.29113
12. Rajeshkumar, V. and S. Raghavan, "A compact asymmetric monopole antenna with electrically coupled SRR for WiMAX/WLAN/UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 2194-2197, 2015, doi: 10.1002/mop.29298. doi:10.1002/mop.29298
13. Imaculate Rosaline, S. and S. Raghavan, "A compact dual band antenna with an ENG SRR cover for SAR reduction," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 741-747, 2015, doi:10.1002/mop.28941. doi:10.1002/mop.28941
14. Rajeshkumar, V. and S. Raghavan, "Trapezoidal ring quad-band fractal antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, 2545-2548, 2014, doi: 10.1002/mop.28631. doi:10.1002/mop.28631
15. Kaur, J. and R. Khanna, "Development of dual-band microstrip patch antenna for WLAN/MIMO/WiMAX/AMSAT/WAVE applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, 988-993, 2014, doi: 10.1002/mop.28206. doi:10.1002/mop.28206
16. Pandeeswari, R. and S. Raghavan, "Broadband monopole antenna with split ring resonator loaded substrate for good impedance matching," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, 2388-2392, 2014, doi: 10.1002/mop.28602. doi:10.1002/mop.28602
17. Pandeeswari, R. and S. Raghavan, "Microstrip antenna with complementary split ring resonator loaded ground plane for gain enhancement," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 292-296, 2015, doi: 10.1002/mop.28835. doi:10.1002/mop.28835
18. Pandeeswari, R. and S. Raghavan, "Meandered CPW-fed hexagonal split-ring resonator monopole antenna for 5.8 GHz RF-ID applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 681-684, 2015, doi: 10.1002/mop.28920. doi:10.1002/mop.28920
19. Smith, D. R., S. Schultz, P. Markos, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Determination of negative permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefficients," Phys. Review B, Vol. 65, 195104-195109, 2002, doi: https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.65.195104. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.65.195104
20. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, No. 5514, 77-79, 2001, doi: 10.1126/science.1058847. doi:10.1126/science.1058847
21. Chen, H., J. Zhang, Y. Bai, Y. Luo, L. Ran, Q. Jiang, and J. A. Kong, "Experimental retrieval of the effective parameters of metamaterials based on a waveguide method," Optical Express, Vol. 14, 12944-12949, 2006, https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.14.012944. doi:10.1364/OE.14.012944
22. Bilotti, F., A. Toscano, L. Vegni, K. Aydin, K. B. Alice, and E. Ozbay, "Equivalent circuit models for the design of metamaterials based on artificial magnetic inclusions," IEEE Transactionson Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, 2865-2872, 2007, doi: 10.1109/TMTT.2007.909611. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.909611
23. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "On smoothening the singular field developed in the vicinity of metallic edges," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol. 31, No. 2, 67-77, 2009, doi: 10.3233/JAE-2009-1048.
24. Fikioris, G. and C. A. Valagiannopoulos, "Input admittances arising from explicit solutions to ntegral equations for infinite-length dipole antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 55, 285-306, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER05031701
25. Liu, W.-C., "Optimal design of dualband CPW-fed G-shaped monopole antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 21-38, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07041401
26. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "A novel methodology for estimating the permittivity of a specimen rod at low radio frequencies," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5–6, 631-640, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791036331
27. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Single-series solution to the radiation of loop antenna in the presence of a conducting sphere," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 277-294, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07030803
28. Liu, X. L., Y.-Z. Yin, P. A. Liu, J. H. Wang, and B. Xu, "A CPW-fed dual band-notched UWB antenna with a pair of bended dual-L-shape parasitic branches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 623-634, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12122507
29. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "High selectivity and controllability of a parallel-plate component with a filled rectangular ridge," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 497-511, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11062603