In this paper, we propose a novel architecture of full-duplex millimeter-wave radio-over-fiber (RoF) system based on polarization division multiplexing (PDM) and wavelength division multiplexing (WDM) technology. In our scheme, the light waves for downlink and uplink transmission are provided by the same laser, which realize the source-free base station (BS) and multi-services transfer for next generation wireless access network. Since the uplink optical carrier is Y-polarized light wave which does not bear the downlink signal, no cross-talk from the downlink contaminates the uplink signal. At the BS, it is detected by a high-speed photoelectric diode (PD) to generate a 15 GHz intermediate frequency (IF) and a 63 GHz radio frequency (RF) signal. This reduces the system complexity and cost. The simulation with 2.5 Gbps NRZ signal transmission exhibits good performance both at 15 GHz (Ku-band) and 63 GHz (V-band).
1. Rohde, H., S. Smolorz, E. Gottwald, and K. Kloppe, "Next generation optical access: 1Gbit/s for everyone," Proceedings of the 35th European Conference and Exhibition on Optical Communication (ECOC), 1-3, 2009.
3. Zhu, M., L. Zhang, J. Wang, L. Cheng, C. Liu, and G.-K. Chang, "Radio-over-fiber access architecture for integrated broadband wireless services," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 31, No. 23, 3614-3620, 2013. doi:10.1109/JLT.2013.2286564
4. Chang, G. K., et al., "Super-broadband optical wireless access technologies," OFC/NFOEC, OThD1, 2008.
5. Nagatsuma, T., T. Takada, H.-J. Song, K. Ajito, N. Kukutsu, and Y. Kado, "Millimeterand THzwave photonics towards 100-Gbit/s wireless transmission," Proc. of 23rd Annu. Meeting IEEE Photon. Soc., 385-386, 2010.
6. Yong, S.-K., P. Xia, and A. V. Garcia, 60GHz Technology for Gbps WLAN and WPAN: From Theory to Practice, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 2011.
7. Almeida, P. and H. Silva, "Power optimized OSSB modulation to support multi-band OFDM services along hybrid long-reach WDM-PONs," Opt. Fiber Technol., Vol. 23, 129-136, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.yofte.2015.03.005
8. Ma, J., J. Yu, C. Yu, X. Xin, and J. Zeng, "Fiber dispersion influence on transmission of the optical millimeter-waves generated by using LN-MZM intensity modulation," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 25, No. 11, 3244-3256, 2007. doi:10.1109/JLT.2007.907794
9. Smith, G. H., D. Novak, and Z. Ahmed, "Technique for optical SSB generation to overcome dispersion penalties in fibre-radio systems," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, No. 1, 74-75, 1997. doi:10.1049/el:19970066
10. Zhang, Y. M., F. Z. Zhang, and S. L. Pan, "Optical single sideband modulation With tunable optical carrier-to-sideband ratio," IEEE Photonics Technol. Lett., Vol. 26, No. 7, 2014.
11. Jia, Z., J. Yu, and G.-K. Chang, "A full-duplex radio-over-fiber system based on optical carrier suppression and reuse," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 16, 1726-1728, 2006. doi:10.1109/LPT.2006.879946
12. Ma, J., "5 Gbit/s full-duplex radio-over-fiber link with optical millimeter-wave generation by quadrupling the frequency of the electrical RF carrier," J. Opt. Commun. Netw., Vol. 3, No. 2, 127-133, 2011. doi:10.1364/JOCN.3.000127
13. Hsueh, Y., et al., "A novel full-duplex testbed demonstration of converged all-band 60-GHz radio-over-fiber access architecture," OFC/NFOEC, 1-3, 2012.
14. Ma, J., R. Zhang, Y. Li, Q. Zhang, and J. Yu, "Full-duplex RoF link with broadband mmwave signal in W-band based on WDM-PON access network with optical mm-wave local oscillator broadcasting," J. Opt.Commun. Netw., Vol. 4, No. 7, 248-254, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2014.10.014
15. Ma, J., Y. Zhan, M. Zhou, H. Liang, Y. Shao, and C. Yu, "Full-duplex radio over fiber with a centralized optical source for a 60GHz millimeter-wave system with a 10 Gb/s 16-QAM downstream signal based on frequency quadrupling," J. Opt.Commun. Netw., Vol. 4, No. 7, 557-564, 2012. doi:10.1364/JOCN.4.000557
16. Zhang, R. and J. Ma, "Full-duplex hybrid PON/RoF link with 10-Gbit/s 4-QAM signal for alternative wired and 40-GHz band wireless access based on optical frequency multiplication," Optik, Vol. 138, 55-63, 2017. doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2017.03.032
17. Ma, J., "Full-duplex radio over fiber link with colorless source-free base station based on single sideband optical mm-wave signal with polarization rotated optical carrier," Optical Fiber Technology, Vol. 30, 163-166, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.yofte.2016.04.012
18. Zhang, R., J. Ma, W. Liu, W. Zhou, and Y. Yang, "A multi-band access radio-over-fiber link with SSB optical millimeter-wave signals based on optical carrier suppression modulation," Optical Switching and Networking, Vol. 18, 235-241, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.osn.2015.08.002