The bandwidth of OAM antennas, which have a great potential for multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) communication, must be wide enough. Unfortunately, most of researchers only care about the generation and characteristics of vortex beams carrying orbital angular momentum (OAM) but ignore the bandwidth of OAM antennas. To develop OAM antenna suitable for MIMO communication, Vivaldi antenna is used as the element of circular array because of its wide bandwidth. Three compact wideband circular Vivaldi antenna arrays that can generate vortex beams carrying OAM with numbers of modes l=0, -2, +2 are proposed and experimentally validated in this paper. Measured results show that the proposed antennas can radiate vortex beams with different numbers of modes over a frequency range of 2.7-2.9 GHz.
1. Allen, L., M. W. Beijersbergen, R. J. Spreeuw, and J. P. Woerdman, "Orbital angular momentum of light and the transformation of Laguerre-Gaussian laser modes," Phys. Rev. A, Gen. Phys., Vol. 45, No. 11, 8185, 1992. doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.45.8185
2. Zhang, W., S. Zheng, X. Hui, R. Dong, X. Jin, H. Chi, and X. Zhang, "Mode division multiplexing communication using microwave orbital angular momentum: An experimental study," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 16, 1308-1318, 2017. doi:10.1109/TWC.2016.2645199
3. Chen, Y., S. Zheng, X. Jin, H. Chi, and X. Zhang, "Single-frequency computational imaging using OAM-carrying electromagnetic wave," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 121, 6-43, 2017. doi:10.1063/1.4978704
4. Zhang, W., S. Zheng, X. Hui, Y. Chen, X. Jin, H. Chi, and X. Zhang, "Four-OAM-mode antenna with traveling-wave ring-slot structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 194-197, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2569540
5. Zhang, Z., S. Zheng, X. Jin, H. Chi, and X. Zhang, "Generation of plane spiral OAM waves using traveling-wave circular slot antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 8-11, 2016.
6. Mao, F., M. Huang, T. Li, J. Zhang, and C. Yang, "Broadband generation of orbital angular momentum carrying beams in RF regimes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 160, 19-27, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIER17082302
7. Choi, J. and S. Oh, "Design of a circular array antenna for generating waves with orbital angular momentum," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 9, 2246-2249, 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30713
8. Deng, C., W. Chen, Z. Zhang, Y. Li, and Z. Feng, "Generation of OAM radio waves using circular Vivaldi antenna array," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2013, Article ID 847859, 7 pages, 2013.
9. Al-Bassam, A., M. A. Salem, and C. Caloz, "Vortex beam generation using circular leaky-wave antenna," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1792-1793, 2014.
10. Mari, E., F. Spinello, M. Oldoni, R. A. Ravanelli, F. Romanato, and G. Parisi, "Nearfield experimental verification of separation of OAM channels," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 556-558, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2369536
11. Barbuto, M., F. Trotta, F. Bilotti, and A. Toscano, "Circular polarized patch antenna generating orbital angular momentum," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 148, 23-30, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER14050204
12. Mohammadi, S. M., L. K. S. Daldorff, J. E. S. Bergman, R. L. Karlsson, T. Bo, K. Forozesh, T. D. Carozzi, and B. Isham, "Orbital angular momentum in radio — A system study," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 565-572, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2037701
13. Courtial, J., D. A. Robertson, K. Dholakia, L. Allen, and M. J. Padgett, "Rotational frequency shift of a light beam," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 81, 4828-4830, 1998. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.81.4828
14. Gong, Y., R. Wang, Y. Deng, B. Zhang, N. Wang, N. Li, and P. Wang, "Generation and transmission of OAM-carrying vortex beams using circular antenna array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 6, 2940-2949, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2695526