A novel characterization method of OTA test setups for wireless communication systems on vehicles in the random line-of-sight (Random-LOS) environment is proposed. The measurement setup assumes a compact range and a test zone where the antenna under test (AUT) on the vehicle would be located. An ideal receiver is assumed for the reference measurement, which allows to perform a system analysis through evaluating the Probability of Detection (PoD) as the system figure-of-merit. The proposed method is aimed as an aid for test equipment designers to design OTA compact ranges, compare their performances, and define an ideal numerical reference. The requirements for OTA measurement ranges are different from those for conventional anechoic compact ranges. A compact cylindrical reflector system with an antenna array line feed is characterized using the proposed method, from 1.6-2.7 GHz, for two orthogonal polarizations, various AUT heights and reflector tilting angles, with and without ground plane in a test zone which is 2 m wide in diameter.
2. De la Roche, G., A. Alayon-Glazunov, and B. Allen, LTE-advanced and Next Generation Wireless Networks: Channel Modelling and Propagation, John Wiley & Sons, 2012.
3. Kildal, P.-S., C. Orlenius, and J. Carlsson, "OTA testing in multipath of antennas and wireless devices with MIMO and OFDM," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2145-2157, 2012.
4. Hemming, L. H., Electromagnetic Anechoic Chambers, Wiley Interscience, 2002.
5. Rosengren, K., P. S. Kildal, J. Carlsson, and O. Lunden, "A new method to measure radiation efficiency of terminal antennas," 2000 IEEE-APS Conference on Antennas and Propagation for Wireless Communications, 5-8, 2000.
6. Arai, H., T. Urakawa, and M. Teranishi, "Radiation power measurement method of handheld terminals using compact shield box," Electronics and Communications in Japan (Part I: Communications), Vol. 83, No. 8, 1984.
7. Fan, W., X. Carreno, P. Kyosti, J. Ø. Nielsen, and G. F. Pedersen, "Over-The-Air testing of MIMO capable terminals: Evaluation of multiple-antenna systems in realistic multipath propagation environments using an OTA method," IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine, Vol. 10, No. 2, 38-46, June 2015.
8. Fan, W., P. Kyosti, J. Ø. Nielsen, and G. F. Pedersen, "Wideband MIMO channel capacity analysis in multiprobe anechoic chamber setups," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 65, No. 5, 2861-2871, May 2016.
9. Laitinen, T., P. Kyosti, J.-P. Nuutinen, and P. Vainikainen, "On the number of OTA antenna elements for plane-wave synthesis in a MIMO-OTA test system involving a circular antenna array," Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, IEEE, 2010.
10. Wim, A. T., et al., "On the accuracy of synthesised wave-fields in MIMO-OTA set-ups," Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 2560-2564, IEEE, 2011.
11. Fan, W., L. Hentila, P. Kyosti, and G. F. Pedersen, "Test zone size characterization with measured MIMO throughput for simulated MPAC configurations in conductive setups," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 2017.
12. Toivanen, J. T., T. A. Laitinen, V.-M. Kolmonen, and P. Vainikainen, "Reproduction of arbitrary multipath environments in laboratory conditions," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 60, No. 1, 275-281, 2011.
13. Rappaport, T. S., S. Sun, R. Mayzus, H. Zhao, Y. Azar, K. Wang, G. N. Wong, J. K. Schulz, M. Samimi, and F. Gutierrez, "Millimeter wave mobile communications for 5g cellular: It will work!," IEEE Access, Vol. 1, 335-349, 2013.
14. Kildal, P and J. Carlsson, "New approach to OTA testing: RIMP and pure-LOS reference environments & a hypothesis," 2013 7th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 315-318, IEEE, 2013.
15. Kildal, P.-S., "Rethinking the wireless channel for OTA testing and network optimization by including user statistics: RIMP, pure-LOS, throughput and detection probability," 2013 Proceedings of the International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), Vol. 1 and 2, No. 1, 2013.
16. Hansen, J., Spherical Near-field Antenna Measurements, ser. Electromagnetics and Radar Series, P. Peregrinus, 1988.
17. Hill, D., "Theory of Near Field Phased Arrays for Electromagnetic Susceptibility Testing, ser. NBS Technical Note, National Bureau of Standards,", 1984.
18. Johnson, R., H. Ecker, and R. Moore, "Compact range techniques and measurements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 17, No. 5, 568-576, Sep. 1969.
19. Bennett, J. and E. Schoessow, "Antenna near-field/far-field transformation using a plane-wave synthesis technique," Proceedings of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, Vol. 125, No. 3, 179-184, IET, 1978.
20. Pereira, J., A. Anderson, and J. Bennett, "New procedure for near-field measurements without anechoic requirements ," IEE Proceedings of Microwaves, Optics and Antennas, Vol. 131, No. 6, 351-358, 1983.
21. Hill, D. A., "A circular array for plane-wave synthesis," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 30, No. 1, 3-8, 1988.
22. Haupt, R., "Generating a plane wave with a linear array of line sources," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 2, 273-278, 2003.
23. D’urso, M., G. Prisco, and M. Cicolani, "Synthesis of plane-wave generators via nonredundant sparse arrays," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 449-452, 2009.
24. Wang, H., J. Miao, J. Jiang, and R. Wang, "Plane-wave synthesis for compact antenna test range by feed scanning," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 22, 245-258, 2012.
25. Parini, C., R. Dubrovka, and S. Gregson, "Optimizing a CATR quiet zone using an array feed," AMTA 2016 Proceedings, 1-6, IEEE, 2016.
26. Kildal, P.-S., A. Hussain, X. Chen, C. Orlenius, A. Skarbratt, J. Aberg, T. Svensson, and T. Eriksson, "Threshold receiver model for throughput of wireless devices with MIMO and frequency diversity measured in reverberation chamber," Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1201-1204, IEEE, 2011.
27. Razavi, A., A. Alay´on Glazunov, P.-S. Kildal, and R. Maaskant, "Array-fed cylindrical reflector antenna for automotive OTA tests in random Line-Of-Sight," 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, (EuCAP 2016), Davos, Switzerland, April 10-15, 2016.
28. Moghaddam, S. M., P. S. Kildal, A. A. Glazunov, and J. Yang, "Designing a dual-polarized octave bandwidth bowtie antenna for a linear array," 2016 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-4, April 2016.
29. Moghaddam, S. M., A. A. Glazunov, and J. Yang, "Wideband dual-polarized linear array antenna for random-LOS OTA measurement," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, March 9, 2018.
30. Alayon Glazunov, A., A. Razavi, and P.-S. Kildal, "Simulations of a planar array arrangement for automotive random-LOS OTA testing," 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, (EuCAP 2016), Davos, Switzerland, April 10-15, 2016.
31. Nilsson, M. G., P. Hallbjorner, N. Araback, B. Bergqvist, T. Abbas, and F. Tufvesson, "Measurement uncertainty, channel simulation, and disturbance characterization of an over-the-air multiprobe setup for cars at 5.9 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 62, No. 12, 7859-7869, Dec. 2015.
32. Kildal, P.-S., Foundations of Antennas: A Unified Approach for Line-of-Sight and Multipath, Kildal Antenn AB, 2015, available at www.amazon.com and www.kildal.se.
33. Kildal, P.-S., "Artificially soft and hard surfaces in electromagnetics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 10, 1537-1544, 1990.