An optimized design of Microstrip Log Periodic Dipole Array (MLPDA) antenna with non-cross feed structure is reported in this paper. Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) is utilized to reduce the size and enhance the bandwidth of proposed antenna. Proposed design employs an improved feed structure of non-cross feed array antenna to avoid complexity of conventional feeding with long coaxial line and creating Co Planar Waveguide (CPW) feed. A simple FR-4 substrate with thickness of 1 mm is utilized for simulation using CST. A fitness function based on S11 parameter is used to achieve the optimization goal. A prototype of proposed PSO optimized antenna is developed to validate the simulation results. The proposed antenna offers higher bandwidth and significantly smaller size than cross feed LPDA antennas, with less complexity and low cost through parameter optimization, while maintaining the log periodic nature and gain.
2. DuHamel, R. H. and D. E. Isbell, "Broadband logarithmically periodic antenna structures," IRE National Convention Record, Pt. 1, 119-128, 1957.
3. Carrel, R., "The Design of log-periodic dipole antennas," IRE Int. Conv. Rec., Vol. IX, Pt. 1, 61-75, 1961.
4. Buston, P. C. and G. T. Thompson, "A note on the calculation of the gain of log-periodic dipole antennas," IEEE Transaction on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 24, 105-106, Jan. 1976.
5. Campbell, C. K., I. Traboulay, M. S. Suuthers, and H. Kneve, "Design of a stripline log-periodic dipole antenna," IEEE Transaction on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 25, No. 5, 718-721, May 1977.
6. Alakananda, P. and G. Inderjeet, "An analysis of log periodic antenna with printed dipoles," IEEE Transaction on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 29, No. 2, 114-119, Feb. 1981.
7. Qiu, J., S. Lin, C. Yang, and Q. You, "A novel printed fractal log-periodic dipole antenna," Proc. 5th MEMIA, Vol. 11, 50-53, 2005.
8. Wang, B., A. Chen, and D. Su, "An improved fractal tree log-periodic dipole antenna," Proc. 19th APEMC, Vol. 12, 831-834, 2008.
9. Lin, S., S. Luan, Y. D.Wang, X. Luo, X. Han, X. Q. Zhang, Y. Tian, and X. Y. Zhang, "A printed log-periodic tree-dipole antenna (PLPTDA)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 21, 19-32, 2011.
10. Gheethan, A. A. and D. E. Anagnostou, "Reduced size planar log-periodic dipole arrays (LPDAs) using rectangular meander line elements," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, IEEE, San Diego, CA, 2008.
11. Anagnostou, D. E., J. Papapolymerou, M. M. Tentzeris, and C. G. Christodoulou, "A printed logperiodic koch-dipole array (LPKDA)," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 456-460, 2008.
12. Casula, G. A., P. Maxia, G. Mazzarella, and G. Montisci, "Design of a printed log-periodic dipole array for ultra-wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 38, 15-26, 2013.
13. Casula, G. A., P. Maxia, G. Montisci, G. Mazzarella, and F. Gaudiomonte, "A printed LPDA fed by a coplanar waveguide for broadband applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1232-1235, 2013.
14. Abdo-Sanchez, E., J. Esteban, T. M. Martin-Guerrero, C. Camacho-Penalosa, and P. S. Hall, "A novel planar log-periodic array based on the wideband complementary strip-slot element," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 11, 5572-5580, 2014.
15. Kang, C.-Y., S. Lin, Z.-H. Zhao, and L.-W. Jing, "The simulation and experiment of a non-cross-feeding printed log-periodic antenna," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, Vol. 2015, Article ID 783405, 8 pages, 2015, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/783405.
16. Choudhury, B., S. Thomas, and R. M. Jha, "Implementation of soft computing optimization techniques in antenna engineering," IEEE Antennas & Propagation Magazine, 122-131, Dec. 2015.
17. Hashemi, S. M., V. Nayyeri, M. Soleimani, and A.-R. Mallahzadeh, "Designing a compact optimized planar dipole array antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 243-246, 2011.
18. Rajendran, K. and S. Menon, "On the miniaturization of log periodic Koch dipole antenna using split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 63, 107-113, 2016.
19. Aghdam, K. M. P., R. Faraji-Dana, and J. Rashed-Mohassel, "The sinuous antenna --- A dual polarized feed for reflector-based searching systems," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communication, Vol. 59, 392-400, 2005.
20. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New Jersey, 2005.
21. Milligan, T. A., Modern Antenna Design, 2nd Ed., IEEE Press, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New Jersey, 2005.
22. Kennedy, J. and R. Eberhart, "Particle swarm optimization," Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, 1942-1948, Perth, Australia, Dec. 1995.
23. Robinson, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Particle swarm optimization in electromagnetic," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 2, 397-407, Feb. 2004.
24. Kim, J., T. Yoon, J. Kim, and J. Choi, "Design of an ultra wide-band printed monopole antenna using FDTD and genetic algorithm," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 6, 395-397, 2005.