Partially dielectric-filled empty substrate integrated waveguide (PFESIW) is introduced for millimeter-wave application alongside partially dielectric-filled ESIW filter by using inverter and resonators technique. The new design presents good transition implementation in order to introduce a waveguide compatible with planar integrated circuits. The main goal of introducing the new transmission line PFESIW is to control characteristic impedance without changing the cutoff frequency. The presented transmission line is analyzed by calculating attenuation constant α, phase constant β and characteristic impedance Z. The PFESIW is used to build a resonator with high-quality factor. The filter based on the combination of of ESIW and PFESIW is proposed. Furthermore, the designed filter showed very good performance in terms of bandwidth and cost. Transmission line and filter prototypes are manufactured using standard printed circuit board fabrication. Partially dielectric-filled ESIW measurement displays very good results in terms of phase constant β, attenuation constant α, return loss (S11) and insertion loss (S12). Measured return loss (S11) and insertion loss (S12) for waveguide and filter agree very well with simulation.
2. Belenguer, A., H. Esteban, and V. E. Boria, "Novel empty substrate integrated waveguide for high-performance microwave integrated circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 62, 832-839, 2014.
3. Mohammadi, P. and S. Demir, "Loss reduction in substrate integrated waveguide structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 46, 125-133, 2014.
4. Martinez, J. A., J. J. de Dios, A. Belenguer, H. Esteban, and V. E. Boria, "Integration of a very high quality factor filter in empty substrate-integrated waveguide at Q-band," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 28, No. 6, 503-505, Jun. 2018.
5. Borja, A. L., A. Belenguer, H. Esteban, and V. E. Boria, "Design and performance of a high-Q narrow bandwidth bandpass filter in empty substrate integrated coaxial line at Ku-band," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 27, No. 11, 977-979, 2017.
6. Belenguer, A., M. D. Fernandez, J. A. Ballesteros, J. J. de Dios, H. Esteban, and V. E. Boria, "Compact multilayer filter in empty substrate integrated waveguide with transmission zeros," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 66, No. 6, 2993-3000, Jun. 2018.
7. Wegmuller, M., J. P. von der Weid, P. Oberson, and N. Gisin, "Characterization of a dielectric E-plane loaded waveguide by the NMVF: Application to filters design," Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol. 7, No. 24, 3983-3988, 2007.
8. Lilonga-Boyenga, D., J. Tao, and T. H. Vuong, "Uniaxial discontinuities analysis by a new multimodal variational methodapplication to filter design," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 1, 77-83, 2007.
9. Monsoriu, J. A., B. Gimeno, E. Silvestre, and M. V. Andres, "Analysis of inhomogeneously dielectric filled cavities coupled to dielectric-loaded waveguides: Application to the study of NRD-guide components," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 7, 1693-1701, 2004.
10. Yu, C. C. and T. H. Chu, "Analysis of dielectric-loaded waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 38, No. 9, 1333-1338, Sep. 1990.
11. Belenguer, A., J. L. Cano, H. Esteban, E. Artal, and V. E. Boria, "Empty substrate integrated waveguide technology for E-plane high-frequency and high-performance circuits," Radio Science, Vol. 52, No. 1, 49-69, 2017.
12. Ballesteros, J. A., M. D. Fernandez, A. Belenguer, H. Esteban, and V. E. Boria, "Versatile transition for multilayer compact devices in empty substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 28, No. 6, 482-484, Jun. 2018.
13. Morro, J. V., A. Rodriuez, A. Belenguer, H. Esteban, and V. Boria, "Multilevel transition in empty substrate integrated waveguide," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 18, 1543-1544, Sep. 2016.
14. Parment, F., A. Ghiotto, T. H. Vuong, J. M. Duchamp, and K. Wu, "Air-filled substrate integrated waveguide for low-loss and high power-handling millimeter-wave substrate integrated circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 63, No. 4, 1228-1238, 2015.
15. Diaz-Caballero, E., A. Belenguer, H. Esteban, V. E. Boria, C. Bachiller, and J. V. Morro, "Analysis and design of passive microwave components in substrate integrated waveguide technology," IEEE Conference on Numerical Electromagnetic and Multiphysics Modeling and Optimization, 1-3, 2015.
16. Zhang, Y. and W. T. Joines, "Attenuation and power-handling capability of T-septum waveguides," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 35, No. 9, 858-861, 1987.
17. Ding, Y. and K. Wu, "Miniaturized hybrid ring circuits using T-type folded substrate integrated waveguide TFSIW," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 705-708, 2009.
18. Khan, A. A., M. K. Mandal, and R. Shaw, "A compact and wideband SMA connector to empty substrate integrated waveguide (ESIW) transition ," IEEE MTT-S in International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC) , 246-248, IEEE, 2015.
19. Marcuvitz, N., Waveguide Handbook, No. 21, IET, 1951.
20. Djerafi, T., J. Gauthier, and K. Wu, "Planar circuit test fixture,", United States Patent, US2013335110, 2013.
21. Patrovsky, A. and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated image guide (SIIG) --- A planar dielectric waveguide technology for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 6, 2872-2879, 2006.
22. Grine, F., T. Djerafi, M. T. Benhabiles, K. Wu, and M. L. Riabi, "High-Q substrate integrated waveguide resonator filter with dielectric loading," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 12526-12532, 2017.