A compact Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) antenna of size 41×30×0.8 mm3 is proposed in this paper for Ultra-Wideband (UWB) application with high isolation. The proposed UWB-MIMO antenna consists of two Semi-Circle Antennas (SCA) which acts as a radiating patch for achieving UWB operation. The frequency range of UWB is from 3.04 to 10.87 GHz. The high isolation is achieved by inserting an E-shaped slot in the radiating patch, and further enhancement is achieved by inserting a narrow slot in the ground plane. It can be seen that there is good agreement between the simulated and measured results which indicates that the proposed antenna is suitable for UWB applications.
2. Fontana, R. J., "Recent system applications of short-pulse ultra-wideband (UWB) technology," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 9, 2087-2104, 2004.
3. Zhu, F., et al., "Multiple band-notched UWB antenna with band-rejected elements integrated in the elements integrated in the feed line," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 8, 3952-3960, 2013.
4. Li, L., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Compact MIMO antenna for portable devices in UWB applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 8, 4257-4264, 2013.
5. Kang, T.-W., K.-L. Wong, and M.-F. Tu, "Internal mobile phone antenna array for LTE/WWAN and LTE MIMO operations," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 7, 1569-1573, 2011.
6. Saraereh, O. A., C. J. Panagamuwa, and J. C. Vardaxoglu, "Low correlation multiple antenna system for mobile phone applications using novel decoupling slots in ground plane," Lough Borough Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC), 577-581, 2013.
7. Ban, Y., Z. Chen, Z. Chen, K. Kang, and J. Li, "Decoupled heptaband antenna array for WWAN/LTE smartphone applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Wireless Propag. Letters, Vol. 13, 999-1002, 2014.
8. Lai, S., Y. Li, and C. Tang, "A MIMO LTE antenna system with decoupling elements for smart phone application," Proceedings of ISAP, 595-596, 2014.
9. Wong, K. and J. Lu, "3.6-GHz 10-antenna array for MIMO operation in the smartphone," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 7, 1699-1704, 2015.
10. Chen, S. C., J. Y. Sze, and K. J. Chuang, "Isolation enhancement of small-size WLAN MIMO antenna array for laptop computer application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 31, No. 3, 323-334, 2017.
11. Liu, L., S. Cheung, and T. Yuk, "Compact MIMO antenna for portable devices in UWB applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, 4257-4264, 2013.
12. Zhang, S., B. K. Lau, A. Sunesson, and S. He, "Closely-packed UWB MIMO/diversity antenna with different patterns and polarizations for USB dongle applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 9, 4372-4380, 2012.
13. Mohammad, S., A. Nezhad, H. R. Hassani, and A. Foudazi, "A dual band WLAN/UWB printed wide slot antenna for MIMO/diversity applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, No. 3, 461-465, 2013.
14. Zhang, S., Z. Ying, J. Xiong, and S. He, "Ultra wideband MIMO/ diversity antennas with a treelike structure to enhance wideband isolation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1279-1282, 2009.
15. Hong, S., et al., "Design of a diversity antenna with stubs for UWB applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 5, 1352-1356, 2008.
16. Ren, J., W. Hu, Y. Yin, and R. Fan, "Compact printed MIMO antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1517-1520, 2014.
17. Pllo, M., et al., "A broadband pattern diversity annular slot antenna," EEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 3, 1596-1600, 2012.
18. Gao, P., et al., "Compact printed UWB diversity slot antenna with 5.5-GHz band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 376-379, 2014.
19. Li, J. F., Q. X. Chu, Z. H. Li, and X. X. Xia, "Compact dual band notched UWB MIMO antenna with high isolation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 9, 4759-4766, 2013.
20. Guo, L., S. Wang, X. D. Chen, and C. Parini, "A small printed quasi-self-complementary antenna for ultra wideband systems," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 554-557, 2009.
21. Lin, C. C., C. Y. Huang, and J. Y. Su, "Ultra-wideband quasi-self-complementary antenna with band-rejection capability," IET Microw. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 13, 1613-1618, 2011.