In order to design differential phase shifters (DPS) from metamaterial-based transmission lines, research had a long tradition of usingbalanced transmission lines which are a particular case of metamaterials, specifically characterized byasimplified equivalent circuit model. This paper presents an innovative way of designing DPS metamaterials by exploiting metamaterial properties more widely, using both balanced and unbalanced cases to obtain a broader set of solutions. These solutions are acquired through the dedicated method this paper expounds, and conceived with the help of a new use of metamaterials. For the sake of ensuring time efficiency and implementation easiness of this design method for industrial purpose, the full wave parametric optimization is reduced to its minimum by exploiting as much as possible in analytic parametric study. This method is illustrated by an application of 180° DPS on C-Band (5-6 GHz). Three prototypes were fabricated, and the measurements show that the best case of DPS has less than 9° of phase error over the targeted 20% bandwidth, with a return loss less than -14 dB and insertion losses lower than 1 dB.
1. Schiffman, , B. M., "A new class of broad-band microwave 90-degree phase shifters," IRE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 6, No. 2, 232-237, Apr. 1958. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1958.1124543
2. Ellinger, F., H. Jackel, and W. Bachtold, "Varactor-loaded transmission-line phase shifter at C-band using lumped elements," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 4, 1135-1140, Apr. 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.809670
3. Lin, Y. W., Y. C. Chou, and C. Y. Chang, "A balanced digital phase shifter by a novel switching-mode topology," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 6, 2361-2370, Jun. 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2013.2258170
4. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Soviet Physics Uspekhi, Vol. 10, No. 4, 509-514, Jan.–Feb. 1968. doi:10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
5. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "TL theory of MTMs," Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, 59-132, Wiley, Nov. 2005.
6. Eleftheriades, G. V. and K. G. Balmain, "Negative-refractive-index transmission-line metamaterials," Negative-Refraction Metamaterials — Fundamental Principles and Applications, 1-48, Wiley, Aug. 2005.
7. Zvolensky, T., J. Ala-Laurinaho, C. R. Simovski, and A. V. Raisanen, "A systematic design method for CRLH periodic structures in the microwave to millimeter-wave range," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 8, 4153-4161, Aug. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2324562
8. Chi, P.-L. and T. Itoh, "Miniaturized dual-band directional couplers using composite right/left-handed transmission structures and their applications in beam pattern diversity systems," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 5, 1207-1215, May 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2017350
9. Antoniades, M. A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Compact linear lead/lag metamaterial phase shifters for broadband applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, No. 1, 103-106, 2003. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2003.815280
10. Church, J., J. Meloling, and J. D. Rockway, "Equal phase slope metamaterial transmission lines," 2012 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-2, Nov. 2012.
11. Siso, G., M. Gil, J. Bonache, and F. Martin, "Application of metamaterial transmission lines to design of quadrature phase shifters," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 20, 1098-1100, Sep. 2007. doi:10.1049/el:20071755
12. Qamar, Z., S. Y. Zheng, W. S. Chan, and D. Ho, "An equal-length multiway differential metamaterial phase shifter," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 65, No. 1, 136-146, 2017. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2016.2614932
13. Collin, R. E., "Periodic structures and filters," Foudations for Microwave Engineering, 550-559, Wiley, 2000.
14. Vivos, J., T. Crepin, M. F. Foulon, and J. Sokoloff, "Design method of CRLH TL inspired phase shifters," 2016 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2016.
15. Bahl, I. and P. Bhartia, "Transmission line theory," Microwave Solid State Circuit Design, Ch. 2, 12-21, 45–57, Wiley, 1988.
16. Bahl, I., Lumped Elements for RF and Microwave Circuits, 17-161, 163–251, Artech House, Apr. 2002.