In this article, a microstrip-fed stepped open slot antenna is presented which is suitable for GSM 1800, WiFi, WiMAX, PCS, and ITM-2000 applications. The proposed geometry is composed of a circle-shaped tuning stub, a feed structure, and deformed ground plane. The proper tuning of resonating modes (fr1, fr2, fr3 and fr4) and wideband frequency response are acquired by adjusting the dimension of stairs, tuning the stub and an elliptical slot. The experimental result demonstrates that this antenna covers the frequency range from 1.375 to 5.6 GHz with measured fractional bandwidth (BW(%)=200 * (fh - fl)/(fh + fl) of 121.14% for S11<-10 dB. This antenna also exhibits resonance at frequencies (measured) 1.625, 2.52, 2.82, 3.75, 4.67, and 5.42 GHz. After investigating the surface current distribution, the mathematical equations are deduced for simulated resonating frequencies of 1.35, 2, 3.8, and 5.22 GHz. Due to asymmetry in structure, asymmetric far-field patterns are found in E-plane with omnidirectional patterns in H-plane.
1. Tang, M. C., R. W. Ziolkowski, and S. Xiao, "Compact hyper band printed slot antenna with stable radiation properties," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 6, 2962-2969, June 2014.
2. Shinde, P. N. and J. P. Shinde, "Design of compact pentagonal slot antenna with bandwidth enhancement for multiband wireless applications," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 69, 1489-1494, 2015.
3. Jan, J. Y. and J. W. Su, "Bandwidth enhancement of a printed wide-slot antenna with a rotated slot," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 2111-2114, 2005.
4. Jan, J. Y. and L. C. Wang, "Printed wideband rhombus slot antenna with a pair of parasitic strips for multiband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 1267-1270, 2009.
5. Ellis, M. S., Z. Zhao, J. Wu, Z. Nie, and Q. H. Liu, "Small planar monopole ultra wideband antenna with reduced ground plane effect," IET Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 9, 1028-1034, 2015.
6. Liu, J., S. Zhong, and K. P. Esselle, "A printed elliptical monopole antenna with modified feeding structure for bandwidth enhancement," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 667-670, 2011.
7. Chen, W. S. and K. Y. Ku, "Bandwidth enhancement of open slot antenna for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, 438-439, 2008.
8. Wang, C. J., M. H. Shih, and L. T. Chen, "A wideband open-slot antenna with dual-band circular polarization," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1306-1309, 2015.
9. Wang, C. J. and W. B. Tsai, "Microstrip open-slot antenna with broadband circular polarization and impedance bandwidth," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, 4095-4098, 2016.
10. Al-Azza, A. A., F. J. Harackiewicz, and H. R. Gorla, "Very compact open-slot antenna for wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 51, 73-78, 2015.
11. Deshmukh, A. A. and K. P. Ray, "Formulation of resonance frequencies for dual-band slotted rectangular microstrip antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 54, No. 4, 78-97, 2012.
12. Deshmukh, A. A. and G. Kumar, "Broadband compact V-slot loaded RMSAs," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, 1, 2006.
13. Kamakshi, J., A. Ansari, A. Singh, and A. Mohammad, "Desktop shaped broadband microstrip patch antenna for wireless communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 50, 13-18, 2014.
14. Gopikrishna, M., D. D. Krishna, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Design of a microstip fed step slot antenna for UWB communication," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, 1126-1129, 2009.
15. Gopikrishna, M., D. D. Krishna, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Compact linear tapered slot antenna for UWB applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, 1-2, 2008.
16. Zong, W. H., X. M. Yang, S. Li, X. Y. Qu, and X. Y. Wei, "A compact slot antenna configuration for ultrawideband (UWB) terminals and mobile phones," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 28, 1-8, 2018.
17. Song, K., Y. Z. Yin, B. Chen, and S. T. Fan, "Bandwidth enhancement design of compact UWB step-slot antenna with rotated patch," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 22, 39-45, 2011.
18. Song, K., Y. Z. Yin, X. B. Wu, and L. Zhang, "Bandwidth enhancement of open slot antenna with a T-shaped stub," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, 390-393, 2010.
19. Ren, W., S. W. Hu, and C. Jiang, "An ACS-fed F-shaped monopole antenna for GPS/WLAN/WiMAX applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 9, 1123-1129, 2017.
20. Chen, B., Y. C. Jiao, F. C. Ren, L. Zhang, and F. S. Zhang, "Design of open slot antenna for bandwidth enhancement with a rectangular stub," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 25, 109-115, 2011.
21. Singh, A., M. Aneesh, and J. A. Ansari, "Analysis of microstrip line fed patch antenna for wireless communications," Open Engineering, Vol. 7, 279-286, 2017.
22. Pawar, S. S., M. Shandilya, and V. Chaurasia, "Parametric evaluation of microstrip log periodic dipole array antenna using transmission line equivalent circuit," Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal, Vol. 20, 1260-1274, 2017.
23. Singh, A., M. Aneesh, K. Kamakshi, and J. A. Ansari, "Circuit theory analysis of aperture coupled patch antenna for wireless communication," Radioelectronics and Communications Systems, Vol. 61, 168-179, 2018.