A printed Yagi-Uda antenna with two closely-spaced driven dipole elements and truncated ground plane is presented for dual-band operation. It is designed on a low-cost FR4 substrate with a dielectric constant 4.6, loss tangent of 0.02, and thickness of 1.6 mm. The dipole, operating in the lower band (centered at 1.8 GHz), is elliptical-bow-tiein shape with rounded edges, whereas a J-shaped dipole enables its operation in the upper band (centered at 2.6 GHz). A trapezoid-shaped director is employed to achieve maximum gain over the required frequency bands. Measurements indicate that the antenna operates from 1.71 to 1.9 GHz and from 2.5 to 2.7 GHz with |S11| < -10 dB. The behavior of the proposed antenna has been investigated by studying different parameters to achieve the maximum gains of 6 and 7.7 dB in LTE band 3 and band 7, respectively, with optimal size. It is found that the experimental results of the final packaged antenna agree with the simulated ones in terms of reflection coefficients, gain, and radiation patterns.
2. Mun, B., F. J. Harackiewicz, B. Kim, H. Wi, J. Lee, M. J. Park, and B. Lee, "New configuration of handset MIMO antenna for LTE 700 band applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2013, 6 pages, 2013.
3. Dadgarpour, A., B. Zarghooni, B. S. Virdee, and T. A. Denidni, "Millimeter-wave high-gain SIW end-fire bow-tie antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 5, 2337-2342, 2015.
4. Sun, M., X. Qing, and Z. N. Chen, "60-GHz end-fire fan-like antennas with wide beamwidth," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 4, 1616-1622, 2013.
5. Pazin, L. and Y. Leviatan, "A compact 60-GHz tapered slot antenna printed on LCP substrate for WPAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 272-275, 2010.
6. Shao, J., G. Fang, Y. Ji, K. Tan, and H. Yin, "A novel compact tapered-slot antenna for GPR applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 972-975, 2013.
7. Nikolic, N. and A. R. Weily, "Compact E-band planar quasi-Yagi antenna with folded dipole driver," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 11, 1728-1734, 2010.
8. Wu, J., Z. Zhao, Z. Nie, and Q. H. Liu, "Bandwidth enhancement of a planar printed quasi-Yagi antenna with size reduction," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 1, 463-467, 2014.
9. Qin, P. Y., A. R. Weily, Y. J. Guo, T. S. Bird, and C. H. Liang, "Frequency reconfigurable quasi- Yagi folded dipole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 8, 2742-2747, 2010.
10. Liu, J. and Q. Xue, "Microstrip magnetic dipole Yagi array antenna with endfire radiation and vertical polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 3, 1140-1147, 2013.
11. Cai, R.-N., S. Lin, G.-L. Huang, X.-Y. Zhang, X.-Q. Zhang, W.-B. Zhang, and J.-X. Wang, "Research on a novel Yagi-Uda antenna fed by balanced microstrip line," IEEE China-Japan Joint Microwave Conference Proceedings (CJMW), 1-4, 2011.
12. Zong, H., H. Gu, H. Li, B. Liu, G. Liu, and Q. Wu, "A novel high-gain quasi-Yagi antenna with a parabolic reflector," 2015 International Symposium IEEE Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), 1-3, 2015.
13. Farran, M., D. Modotto, S. Boscolo, A. Locatelli, A. D. Capobianco, M. Midrio, and V. Ferrari, "Microstrip-fed quasi-Yagi antennas for WLAN applications,", 384-387, 2014.
14. Kim, D. O. and C. Y. Kim, "Dual-band quasi-Yagi antenna with split ring resonator directors," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 14, 809-810, 2012.
15. Steyn, J. M., J. W. Odendaal, and J. Joubert, "Double dipole antenna for dual-band wireless local area networks applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 9, 2034-2038, 2009.
16. Jehangir, S. S. and M. S. Sharawi, "A miniaturized dual wide-band loop excited quasi-yagi antenna using a defected ground structure," IEEE 2016 16th Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS), 1-3, 2016.
17. Zhang, Y. and Z. Li, "A dual-band planar quasi-Yagi antenna with double-dipole driver," IEEE 6th International Symposium on Microwave, Antenna, Propagation, and EMC Technologies (MAPE), 123-125, 2015.
18. Cheong, P., K. Wu, W. W. Choi, and K. W. Tam, "Yagi-Uda antenna for multiband radar applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1065-1068, 2014.
19. Ding, Y., Y. C. Jiao, P. Fei, B. Li, and Q. T. Zhang, "Design of a multiband quasi-Yagi-type antenna with CPW-to-CPS transition," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1120-1123, 2011.
20. Khan, O. M., Z. U. Islam, Q. U. Islam, and F. A. Bhatti, "Multiband high-gain printed Yagi array using square spiral ring metamaterial structures for S-band applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1100-1103, 2014.
21. Wu, S. J., C. H. Kang, K. H. Chen, and J. H. Tarng, "A multiband quasi-Yagi type antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 2, 593-596, 2010.
22. Qian, Y. and T. Itoh, "A broadband uniplanar microstrip-to-CPS transition," 1997 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings, APMC’97, 609-612, 1997.
23. Han, K. H., B. Lacroix, J. Papapolymerou, and M. Swaminathan, "New microstrip-to-CPS transition for millimeter-wave application," 2011 IEEE 61st Electronic Components and Technology Conference (ECTC), 1052-1057, 2011.
24. Rizzi, P. A., Microwave Engineering: Passive Circuits, Prentice Hall, 1988.
25. Mongia, R. K., J. Hong, P. Bhartia, and I. J. Bahl, RF and Microwave Coupled-line Circuits, Artech House, 2007.
26. Eldek, A. A., "Design of double dipole antenna with enhanced usable bandwidth for wideband phased array applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 1-15, 2006.
27. Ta, S. X., J. J. Han, H. Choo, and I. Park, "A wideband double dipole quasi-Yagi antenna using a microstrip-slotline transition feed," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT), 84-87, 2012.
28. Chang, D. C., C. B. Chang, and J. C. Liu, "Modified planar quasi-Yagi antenna for WLAN dualband operations," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 46, No. 5, 443-446, 2005.
29. Berge, L. A., M. T. Reich, and B. D. Braaten, "A compact dual-band bow-tie slot antenna for 900-MHz and 2400-MHz ISM bands," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1385-1388, 2011.
30. Zhu, L. and K. Wu, "Field-extracted lumped-element models of coplanar stripline circuits and discontinuities for accurate radiofrequency design and optimization," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 4, 1207-1215, 2002.
31. Jehangir, S. S. and M. S. Sharawi, "A miniaturized dual UWB quasi-Yagi based MIMO antenna system using a defected ground structure," 2018 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 399-400, Boston, MA, 2018.