This paper introduces a novel MIMO UWB antenna with dual notches. The proposed antenna is based on Quasi Self Complementary (QSC) method to give wide impedance bandwidth from 2.4 GHz to more than 12 GHz. The proposed antenna consists of a semi-elliptical patch that is fed by a tapered microstrip line. The antenna is designed on an FR-4 substrate with compact size 20 mm × 15 mm × 1.5 mm. The dual notched bands are achieved by using a square ring printed on the bottom of the substrate to reject WiMAX at 3.6 GHz. Also, a C-shaped slot is etched in the radiating patch to reject interference with the WLAN band at 5.8 GHz. In the proposed MIMO antenna, the isolation reduction is achieved utilizing diversity technique to minimize the mutual coupling between the antennas. The isolation between MIMO elements is more than 20 dB. The envelope correlation coefficient (ECC), diversity gain (DG), total active reflection coefficient (TARC), furthermore, channel capacity loss (CCL) are measured and calculated. The proposed antenna is designed, simulated, and measured. A good agreement is shown between the experimental and simulated results.
1. Kaoser, T., F. Zheng, and E. Dimitrov, "An overview of ultrawide-band systems with MIMO," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 2, 285-312, 2009. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2008.2008784
2. Anitha, R., P. V. Vinesh, K. C. Prakash, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "A compact quad element slotted groundwideband antenna for MIMO applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 10, 4550-4553, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2593932
3. Federal communications commision, federal communications commission revision of part 15 of the commision's rules regarding ultra, ET-Docket, Washington, DC, USA, 2002.
4. Tripathi, S., A. Mohan, and S. Yadav, "A compact koch fractal UWB MIMO antenna with WLAN band-rejection," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 14, 1565-1568, March 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2412659
5. Gao, P., S. He, Z. Xu, and Y. Zheng, "Compact printed UWB diversityslot antenna with 5.5-GHz band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 376-379, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2305772
6. Kiem, N. K., H. N. B. Phuong, and D. N. Chien, "Design of compact 4 × 4 UWB-MIMO antenna with WLAN band rejection," International Journal of Antennas and Propag., Article ID 539094, 11 pages, 2014.
7. Li, D., F. S. Zhang, Z. N. Zhao, L. T. Ma, and X. N. Li, "UWB antenna design using patch antenna with Koch fractal boundary," IEEE, Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology Conf., Vol. 3, 1-3, 2012.
8. Werner, D. H., R. L. Haupt, and P. L. Werner, "Fractal antenna engineering: The theory and design of fractal antenna arrays," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 41, No. 5, 37-58, Oct. 1999. doi:10.1109/74.801513
9. Anguera, J., C. Puente, V. Borja, and J. Soler, "Fractal-shaped antennas: A review," Wiley Encyclopedia of RF and Microwave Engineering, Vol. 2, 1620-1635, 2005.
10. Desai, A., T. Upadhyaya, M. Palandoken, and C. Gocen, "Dual band transparent antenna for wireless MIMO system applications," Microwave And Optical Technology Letters, 1-12, Feb. 2019, doi.org/10.1002/mop.31825.
11. Saraswat, R. K. and M. Kumar, "Miniaturized slotted ground UWB antenna loaded with metamaterial for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 65, 65-80, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERB15112703
12. Sipal, D., M. P. Abegaonkar, and S. K. Koul, "Compact band-notched UWB antenna for MIMO applications in portable wireless devices," Microw.Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 6, 1390-1394, Jun. 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29804
13. Ibrahim, A. A., M. A. Abdalla, and A. Boutejdar, "A printed compact band-notched antenna using octagonal radiating patch and meander slot technique for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 54, 153-162, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM16122805
14. Peng, L., J. Y. Xie, X. Jiang, and S. M. Li, "Investigation on ring/split ringloaded bow-tie antenna for compactness and notched-band," Frequenz, Vol. 70, No. 3-4, 89-99, 2016. doi:10.1515/freq-2015-0175
15. Yoon, H. K., Y. J. Yoon, H. Kim, and C.-H. Lee, "Flexible ultra-wideband polarisation diversity antenna with band-notch function," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 12, 1463-1470, 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2010.0126
16. Zhang, S., Z. Ying, J. Xiong, and S. He, "Ultra wide band MIMO/diversity antennas with a tree-like structure to enhance wideband isolation," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1279-1282, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2037027
17. Ren, J., W. Hu, Y. Yin, and R. Fan, "Compact printed MIMO antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1517-1520, 2014.
18. Mao, C. X. and Q. X. Xhu, "Compact coradiator UWB/MIMO antenna with dual polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 9, 4474-4480, Sep. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2333066
19. Zhang, J.-Y., F. Zhang, W.-P. Tian, and Y.-L. Luo, "ACS-fed UWB MIMO antenna with shared radiator," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 7, 1301-1302, 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2015.1327
20. Kumar, J., "Compact MIMO antenna," Microvave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 6, 1294-1298, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29843
21. Chandel, R., A. K. Gautam, and K. Rambabu, "Tapered fed compact UWB MIMO-diversity antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propa., Vol. 66, No. 4, Apr. 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2803134
22. Sultan, K. S., O. M. Dardeer, and H. A. Mohamed, "Design of compact dual notched self-complementary UWB antenna," Open Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 5, 99-109, 2017. doi:10.4236/ojapr.2017.53008
23. Shehata, M., M. S. Said, and H. Mostafa, "Dual notched band quad-element MIMO antenna with multitone interference suppression for IR-UWB wireless applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 11, 5737-5746, Nov. 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2868725
24. Khan, A. M. S., D. Capobianco, S. Asif, A. Iftikhar, B. Ijaz, and B. D. Braaten, "Compact 4 × 4 UWB-MIMO antenna with WLAN bandrejected operation," Electron Lett., Vol. 51, No. 14, 1048-1050, 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2015.1252
25. Bilal, M., R. Saleem, H. H. Abbasi, M. F. Shafique, and A. K. Brown, "An FSS-based nonplanar quad-element UWB-MIMO antenna system," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 987-990, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2615884
26. Jetti, C. R. and V. R. Nandanavanam, "Compact MIMO antenna with WLAN band notch characteristics for portable UWB systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 88, 1-12, 2018.
27. Jetti, C. R. and V. R. Nandanavanam, "Trident-shape strip loaded dual band-notched UWB MIMO antenna for portable device applications," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 83, 11-21, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2017.08.021