This paper reports the influence of antennas on radio signal propagation in tunnels and underground mines. Radio signal propagation measurement results in a concrete tunnel and underground mines using antenna types with various radiation patterns, i.e., omnidirectional, Yagi, patch, and circular, are reported. Extensive measurements were taken in various scenarios which include vertical, horizontal, and circular polarization for line-of-sight (LoS) radio signal propagation at four frequencies (455, 915, 2450, and 5800 MHz) that are common to many voice and data transport radio systems used in underground mines. The results show that antenna pattern has a strong influence on the uniformity of radio signal propagation gain in the near zone and typically does not significantly influence behavior in the far zone, except for a constant gain offset.
2. Emslie, A., R. Lagace, and P. Strong, "Theory of the propagation of UHF radio waves in coal mine tunnels," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 23, 192-205, 1975.
3. Chiba, J., T. Inaba, Y. Kuwamoto, O. Banno, and R. Sato, "Radio communication in tunnels," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 26, No. 6, 439-443, 1978.
4. Zhang, Y. P., Z. R. Jiang, T. S. Ng, and J. H. Sheng, "Measurements of the propagation of UHF radio waves on an underground railway train," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 49, No. 4, 1342-1347, 2000.
5. Didascalou, D., J. Maurer, and W. Wiesbeck, "Subway tunnel guided electromagnetic wave propagation at mobile communications frequencies," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 11, 1590-1596, 2001.
6. Wang, T. S. and C. F. Yang, "Simulations and measurements of wave propagations in curved road tunnels for signals from GSM base stations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 9, 2577-2584, 2006.
7. Molina-Garcia-Pardo, J. M., M. Lienard, A. Nasr, and P. Degauque, "On the possibility of interpreting field variations and polarization in arched tunnels using a model for propagation in rectangular or circular tunnels," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 4, 1206-1211, 2008.
8. Masson, E., P. Combeau, M. Berbineau, R. Vauzelle, and Y. Pousset, "Radio wave propagation in arched cross section tunnels-simulations and measurements," Journal of Communication, Vol. 4, No. 4, 276-283, 2009.
9. Lienard, M. and P. Degauque, "Natural wave propagation in mine environments," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, 1326-1339, 2000.
10. Zhou, C., T. Plass, R. Jacksha, and J. A. Waynert, "RF propagation in mines and tunnels: Extensive measurements for vertically, horizontally, and cross-polarized signals in mines and tunnels," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 57, No. 4, 88-102, 2015.
11. Goddard, A. E., "Radio propagation measurements in coal mines at UHF and VHF," Proceedings: Through-the-Earth Electromagnetics Workshop, 15-17, Aug. 1973.
12. Boutin, M., A. Benzakour, C. L. Despins, S. Affes, and , "Radio wave characterization and modeling in underground mine tunnels," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 2, 540-549, 2008.
13. Jacksha, R., C. Zhou, and C. Sunderman, "Measurement of the inlfuence of antenna pattern on radio frequency propagation in a concrete tunnel," 2018 IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWS), 103-105, 2018.
14. Zhou, C., J. Waynert, T. Plass, and R. Jacksha, "Attenuation constants of radio waves in lossy-walled rectangular waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 142, 75-105, 2013.
15. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, John Wiley & Sons, 1999.
16. Dudley, D. G., M. Lienard, S. F. Mahmoud, and P. Degauque, "Wireless propagation in tunnels," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 2, 11-26, 2007.
17. Alonso, J., B. Izquierdo, and J. Romeu, "Break point analysis and modelling in subway tunnels," 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2009, EuCAP 2009, 3254-3258, IEEE, Mar. 2009.
18. Guan, K., Z. Zhong, B. Ai, and C. Briso-Rodriguez, "Research of propagation characteristics of break point: Near zone and far zone under operational subway condition," Proceedings of the 6th International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference, 114-118, ACM, Jun. 2010.
19. Zhang, Y. P, "Enhancement of waveguide model for propagation-loss prediction in tunnels," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 30, No. 1, 10-12, 2001.
20. Klemenschits, T. and E. Bonek, "Radio coverage of road tunnels at 900 and 1800 MHz by discrete antennas," 5th IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, 1994, Wireless Networks-Catching the Mobile Future, Vol. 2, 411-415, IEEE, Sep. 1994.
21. Watson, P. A. and M. Arbabi, "Crosspolarisation isolation and discrimination," Electronics Letters, Vol. 9, No. 22, 516-517, 1973.
22. Balanis, C., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., A John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Publication, 2005.
23. Kraus, J. D. and R. J. Marhefka, Antennas for All Applications, 3rd Ed., McGraw-Hill Science, 2001.