An interference on a concurrent 4.5-/8.5-GHz-band operation has been effectively suppressed by applying a duplexer technique to high-efficiency GaN HEMT power amplifiers. Each harmonic was also suppressed by a harmonic reactive termination used for a high-efficiency operation. The developed concurrent dual-band amplifier delivered a 73% drain efficiency and a 61% power-added-efficiency (PAE) with 32 dBm output power at 8.24 GHz and a 69% drain efficiency and a 64% PAE with 37 dBm output power at 4.70 GHz. Undesired cross-modulation and intermodulation signals at nearby bands occurring due to dual-band interaction have been successfully suppressed to less than -41 dBc.
2. Sokal, N. and A. Sokal, "Class E --- A new class of high-efficiency tuned single-ended switching power amplifiers," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. SSC-10, No. 3, 168-176, 1975.
3. Wright, P., J. Lees, J. Benedikt, P. J. Tasker, and S. C. Cripps, "A methodology for realizing high efficiency class-J in a linear and broadband PA," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 57, No. 12, 3196-3204, 2009.
4. Kamiyama, M., R. Ishikawa, and K. Honjo, "5.65 GHz high-efficiency GaN HEMT power amplifier with harmonics treatment up to fourth order," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 6, 315-317, 2012.
5. Enomoto, J., R. Ishikawa, and K. Honjo, "Second harmonic treatment technique for bandwidth enhancement of GaN HEMT amplifier with harmonic reactive terminations," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 65, No. 12, 4947-4952, 2017.
6. Rawat, K. and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Dual-band matching technique based on dual-characteristic impedance transformers for dual-band power amplifiers design," IET Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, No. 14, 1720-1729, 2011.
7. Ji, S. H., C. S. Cho, J. W. Lee, and J. Kim, "Concurrent dual-band class-E power amplifier using composite right/left-handed transmission line," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1341-1347, 2007.
8. Enomoto, J., R. Ishikawa, and K. Honjo, "A 2.1/2.6 GHz dual-band high-efficiency GaN HEMT amplifier with harmonic reactive terminations," Proc. European Microw. Conf., 1488-1491, 2014.
9. Takayama, Y., K. Uchida, T. Fujita, and K. Maenaka, "Microwave dual-band power amplifiers using two-frequency matching," Electron. Commun. Jpn. Part II Electron., Vol. 89, No. 5, 17-24, 2006.
10. Enomoto, J., H. Nishizawa, R. Ishikawa, Y. Takayama, and K. Honjo, "Parallel combination of high-efficiency amplifiers with spurious rejection for concurrent multiband operation," Proc. European Microw. Conf., 1075-1078, 2016.
11. Ishikawa, R., Y. Takayama, and K. Honjo, "Concurrent dual-band access GaN HEMT MMIC amplifier suppressing inter-band interference," IEEE Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 2045-2048, 2017.
12. Wu, P.-S., T.-W. Huang, and H. Wang, "An 18-71 GHz multi-band and high gain GaAs MMIC medium power amplifier for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 863-865, 2003.
13. Lin, Y.-T. and S.-S. Lu, "A 2.4/3.5/4.9/5.2/5.7-GHz concurrent multi-band low noise amplifier using InGaP/GaAs HBT technology," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 10, 463-465, 2004.
14. Maas, S. A., Nonlinear Microwave and RF Circuits, 2nd Ed., Artech House, Boston, London, 2003.
15. Maruyama, A., Y. Takayama, R. Ishikawa, and K. Honjo, "Linearity improvement for single-GaN HEMT dual-band power amplifier in concurrent operation mode," Proc. Asia-Pacific Microw. Conf., 995-998, 2017.
16. Gao, S., Z. Wang, and C.-W. Park, "Concurrent dual-band power amplifier with second harmonic controlled by gate and drain bias circuit," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Microw. Tech. and Computational Electromagnetics, 309-312, 2011.
17. Liu, R., D. Schreurs, W. D. Raedt, F. Vanaverbeke, and R. Mertens, "Concurrent dual-band power amplifier with different operation modes," IEEE Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 2011, DOI: 10.1109/MWSYM.2011.5972698.
18. Chen, X., W. Chen, F. M. Ghannouchi, and Z. Feng, "A novel design method of concurrent dual-band power amplifiers including impedance tuning at inter-band modulation frequencies," IEEE Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 2013, DOI: 10.1109/MWSYM.2013.6697505.
19. Zhu, S.-K., H.-P. Fu, H.-F. Wu, and J.-G. Ma, "A highly e±cient concurrent dual-band class-F power amplifier for applications at 1.7 and 2.14 GHz," IEEE Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 2015, DOI: 10.1109/MWSYM.2015.7166915.
20. Pang, J., S. He, C. Huang, Z. Dai, C. Li, and J. Peng, "A novel design of concurrent dual-band high efficiency power amplifiers with harmonic control circuits," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 26, No. 2, 137-139, 2016.
21. Li, Y., B. J. Montgomery, and N. M. Neihart, "Development of a concurrent dual-band switch-mode power amplifier based on current-switching class-D configuration," Proc. IEEE 17th Annual Wireless and Microw. Tech. Conf., 2016, DOI: 10.1109/WAMICON.2016.7483846.