The authors propose a new method based on spatial cumulants for estimating the parameters of multiple near-field and far-field sources. The Toeplitz property used in some studies is not applicable to fourth-order statisticsto separate sources components. Therefore, in this paper, a method is proposed to computeoutput cumulants of specified sensors in special arrangements, by which the components of the near-field and the far-field sources are effectively separated using differencing. The angle and range estimations, as well as the classification of the sources, are obtained based on the data from two spatial cumulant matrices. One of them contains the angle information of all sources, and the other only contains the information of the near-field sources. The parameters extraction algorithm is based on the ESPRIT technique; therefore, the proposed method does not require any spectral search. This leads to a significant reduction in computational complexity. Unlike some approaches, the proposed method does not suffer from array aperture loss. Also, the parameters pairing procedure is done automatically. Analysis and simulation results confirm the good performance of the proposed method in terms of computational complexity, estimation accuracy, correct classification of signals, and aperture loss.
1. Tuncer, T. E. and B. Friedlander, Classical and Modern Direction-of-Arrival Estimation, Academic Press, 2009.
2. Huang, Y.-D. and M. Barkat, "Near-field multiple source localization by passive sensor array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, 968-975, 1991. doi:10.1109/8.86917
3. Chen, J.-F., X.-L. Zhu, and X.-D. Zhang, "A new algorithm for joint range-DOA-frequency estimation of near-field sources," EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, Vol. 2004, 105173, 2004. doi:10.1155/S1110865704310152
4. Goh, S. T., S. A. R. Zekavat, and K. Pahlavan, "DOA-based endoscopy capsule localization and orientation estimation via unscented Kalman filter," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 14, 3819-3829, 2014. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2014.2342720
5. Tichavsky, P., K. T. Wong, and M. D. Zoltowski, "Near-field/far-field azimuth and elevation angle estimation using a single vector hydrophone," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 49, 2498-2510, 2001. doi:10.1109/78.960397
6. Jiang, J.-J. , F.-J. Duan, J. Chen, Y.-C. Li, and X.-N. Hua, "Mixed near-field and far-field sources localization using the uniform linear sensor array," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 13, 3136-3143, 2013. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2013.2257735
7. Liang, J. and D. Liu, "Passive localization of mixed near-field and far-field sources using two-stage MUSIC algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, 108-120, 2010. doi:10.1109/TSP.2009.2029723
8. He, J., M. Swamy, and M. O. Ahmad, "Efficient application of MUSIC algorithm under the coexistence of far-field and near-field sources," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 60, 2066-2070, 2012. doi:10.1109/TSP.2011.2180902
9. Liu, G., X. Sun, Y. Liu, and Y. Qin, "Low-complexity estimation of signal parameters via rotational invariance techniques algorithm for mixed far-field and near-field cyclostationary sources localisation," IET Signal Processing, Vol. 7, 382-388, 2013. doi:10.1049/iet-spr.2012.0394
10. Wang, B., Y. Zhao and J. Liu, "Mixed-order MUSIC algorithm for localization of far-field and near-field sources," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 20, 311-314, 2013. doi:10.1109/LSP.2013.2245503
11. Xie, J., H. Tao, X. Rao, and J. Su, "Passive localization of mixed far-field and near-field sources without estimating the number of sources," Sensors, Vol. 15, 3834-3853, 2015. doi:10.3390/s150203834
12. Gao, F. and A. B. Gershman, "A generalized ESPRIT approach to direction-of-arrival estimation," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 12, 254-257, 2005. doi:10.1109/LSP.2004.842276
13. Liu, G. and X. Sun, "Efficient method of passive localization for mixed far-field and near-field sources," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 902-905, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2273451
14. Liu, G. and X. Sun, "Spatial differencing method for mixed far-field and near-field sources localization," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 21, 1331-1335, 2014. doi:10.1109/LSP.2014.2326173
15. Liu, G. and X. Sun, "Two-stage matrix differencing algorithm for mixed far-field and near-field sources classification and localization," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 14, 1957-1965, 2014. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2014.2307060
16. Zhi, W. and M. Y.-W. Chia, "Near-field source localization via symmetric subarrays," 2007 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, ICASSP’07, II-1121-II-1124, 2007. doi:10.1109/ICASSP.2007.366437
17. Xie, J., L. Wang, and J. Su, "Parameters estimation of mixed far-field and near-field sources via second order statistics," 2017 International Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Symposium (ACES), 1-2, 2017.
18. Zheng, Z., J. Sun, W.-Q. Wang, and H. Yang, "Classification and localization of mixed near-field and far-field sources using mixed-order statistics," Signal Processing, Vol. 143, 134-139, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2017.08.025
19. Zheng, Z., M. Fu, D. Jiang, W.-Q. Wang, and S. Zhang, "Localization of mixed far-field and near-field sources via cumulant matrix reconstruction," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 18, 7671-7680, 2018. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2018.2863749
20. Liang, J., "Joint azimuth and elevation direction finding using cumulant," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 9, 390-398, 2009. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2009.2014416
21. Begriche, Y., M. Thameri, and K. Abed-Meraim, "Exact Cramer Rao bound for near field source localization," 2012 11th International Conference on Information Science, Signal Processing and their Applications (ISSPA), 718-721, 2012. doi:10.1109/ISSPA.2012.6310646
22. Grosicki, E., K. Abed-Meraim, and Y. Hua, "A weighted linear prediction method for near-field source localization," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 53, 3651-3660, 2005. doi:10.1109/TSP.2005.855100
23. Yuen, N. and B. Friedlander, "Performance analysis of higher order ESPRIT for localization of near-field sources," IEEE transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 46, 709-719, 1998. doi:10.1109/78.661337
24. Duofang, C., C. Baixiao, and Q. Guodong, "Angle estimation using ESPRIT in MIMO radar," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, 770-771, 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20080276
25. Liu, F., J. Wang, C. Sun, and R. Du, "Spatial differencing method for DOA estimation under the coexistence of both uncorrelated and coherent signals," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, 2052-2062, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2186216
26. Golub, G. H. and C. F. Van Loan, Matrix Computations, Vol. 3, JHU Press, 2012.
27. Paulraj, A., Subspace Methods for Direction of Arrival Estimation, Handbook of Statistics, 10 Eds.Bose NK and Rao, CR, North-Holland, ed., 1993.
28. Molaei, A. M., B. Zakeri, and S. M. H. Andargoli, "Closed-form expression of stochastic crb for mixed near-field and far-field sources in multipath propagation environments," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 23, 640-643, 2019. doi:10.1109/LCOMM.2019.2896083