A ridged horn antenna with metallic grid sidewalls is proposed and quantitatively analyzed. Simulated and measured results indicate that the operating band is from 1.0 to 20.0 GHz with the reflection coefficient less than -10 dB, and the relative bandwidth is as high as 180.95%. The gains are greater than 10 dBi in the frequency band of 2.6-20 GHz, greater than 16 dBi in the frequency band of 10-20 GHz with the gains fluctuation less than 1 dB. In the whole operating band, the radiation patterns radiate directionally along the normal direction of the horn aperture and do not split. In this paper, the ridged horn antenna with metallic girds is analyzed quantitatively. A modified equivalent traveling wave current model of the ridged horn antenna is proposed, which matches better to the patterns of the ridged horn antenna in high frequency band. The working mechanism of metallic grid sidewalls is also analyzed quantitatively, and the reason that metal strips can improve the matching performance of ridged horn antenna in low frequency band, restrain the patterns splitting in high frequency band and improve the antenna gains is explained. The proposed antenna has the characteristics of ultra-wideband, stable gains, miniaturization, and directional radiation patterns with no splitting main lobe in ultra-wideband. The proposed ridged horn antenna can be used for the measurement in a microwave anechoic chamber.
2. Chen, Z., A. Mehdipour, and L. Matytsine, "Customized compact dielectric lens to improve double-ridge horn antenna performance for automotive immunity EMC test," 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC), 835-840, Ottawa, 2016.
3. Schwarz, U., F. Thiel, F. Seifert, R. Stephan, and M. A. Hein, "Ultra-wideband antennas for magnetic resonance imaging navigator techniques," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 6, 2107-2112, 2010.
4. Zhang, F., M. Wang, L.-L. Yu, and J.-Y. Wu, "0.2 to 2.5 GHz advanced ultra-broadband double ridged horn antenna design and implementation," Electronic Measurement Technology, Vol. 41, No. 20, 68-72, 2018.
5. Manafi, S., M. Al-Tarifi, and D. S. Filipovic, "45-110 GHz quad-ridge horn with stable gain and symmetric beam," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 9, 4858-4963, 2017.
6. Dehdasht-Heydari, R., H. R. Hassani, and A. R. R. Mallahzadeh, "A new 2-18 GHz quad-ridged horn antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 183-195, 2008.
7. Lim, T. H., J. E. Park, and H. Choo, "Design of a vivaldi-fed hybrid horn antenna for low-frequency gain enhancement," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 66, No. 1, 438-443, 2018.
8. Botello-Perez, M., H. Jardon-Aguilar, and I. G. Ruiz, "Design and simulation of a 1 to 14 GHz broadband electromagnetic compatibility DRGH antenna," 2005 2nd International Conference on Electrical and Electronics Engineering, 118-121, Mexico City, Mexico, 2005.
9. Abbas-Azimi, M., F. Arazm, and R. Faraji-Dana, "Design and optimization of a high-frequency EMC wideband horn antenna," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 1, No. 3, 580-585, 2007.
10. Rodriguez, V., "Improvements to broadband dual ridge waveguide horn antennas," 2009 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Charleston, SC, 2009.
11. Amjadi, H. and F. T. Hamedani, "Ultra wideband horn antenna for microwave imaging application," Proceedings of 2011 Cross Strait Quad-Regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference, Vol. 21, No. 5, 337-340, 2011.
12. Rodriguez, V., "New broadband EMC double-ridge guide horn antenna," RF Design, 44-50, 2004.
13. Lin, S., S. Yu, J. L. Jiao, and C. T. Yang, "Simulation and analysis of an ultra-wideband TEM horn antenna with ridge," 2017 International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), 1-2, 2017.
14. Wang, C., E. Li, Y. Zhang, and G. Guo, "Ridged horn antenna with adjustable metallic grid sidewalls and cross-shaped back cavity," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1221-1225, 2016.
15. Kuroptev, P. D., V. V. Levyakov, and A. V. Fateev, "Modified 0.6-50 GHz ultra-wideband double-ridged horn antenna design for parameters improvement," 2017 47th European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 1313-1316, 2017.
16. Dubrovka, F. F. and A. J. Sushko, "Improvement of characteristics of UWB double ridged horn antennas," 2010 5th International Conference on Ultra-wideband and Ultrashort Impulse Signals, 45-47, 2010.
17. Amjadi, H. and F. T. Hamedani, "A novel 2-18 GHz TEM double-ridged horn antenna for wideband applications," Proceedings of 2011 Cross Strait Quad-Regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference, 341-344, 2011.
18. Latif, S. I., D. Flores-Tapia, S. Pistorius, and L. Shafai, "Design and performance analysis of the miniaturised water-¯lled double-ridged horn antenna for active microwave imaging applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 17, No. 2, 180-183, 2017.
19. Jacobs, B., J. W. Odendaal, and J. Joubert, "An improved design for a 1-18 GHz double-ridged guide horn antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 9, 4110-4118, 2012.
20. Bruns, C., P. Leuchtmann, and R. Vahldieck, "Analysis and simulation of a 1-18 GHz broadband double-ridged horn antenna," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 45, No. 1, 55-60, 2003.
21. Nan, H., "Design and implementation of high performance UWB horn antenna," 2018 International Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Symposium, 1-2, 2018.
22. Lin, S., S. Liu, S. Yu, Y. Zhang, J. Jiao, and C. Yang, "Analysis of an ultra-wideband ridged horn antenna based on traveling wave current model," 2018 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 1079-1080, 2018.
23. Al-Zuhairi, D. T., J. M. Gahl, A. M. Abed, and N. E. Islam, "Characterizing horn antenna signals for breast cancer detection," Canadian Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 41, No. 1, 8-16, Winter, 2018.