In this paper the design of asymmetric wideband printed dipole antenna is presented along with measured results. The wide bandwidth covering 0.8-4 GHz is achieved using inset feeding technique. This paper also presents the techniques for achieving good omni-directional radiation patterns over the wide frequency band with deviation from omni-directionality within ±2.5 dB. This design offers more than 5:1 impedance bandwidth (for VSWR≤2.2:1), with good radiation efficiency and omni-directionality. The comparison study of symmetrical and asymmetrical printed dipole antennas with and without inset feed is presented in this paper. Thus, the proposed antenna finds a wide range of applications in trans-receive modes in today's wireless devices.
2. Chen, W.-S., et al., "A wideband printed monopole antenna for wireless applications," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, June 1-5, 2009.
3. Coulibaly, Y., T. A. Denidni, L. Talbi, and A. R. Sebak, "A new single layer broadband CPW fed-printed monopole antenna for wireless applications," Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 3, 1541-1544, May 2-5, 2004.
4. Zhang, Z.-Y. and C.-B. Zhang, "Wideband omnidirectional printed dipole antenna with coupling feed for wireless communication applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 38, 89-99, 2013.
5. Michishita, N. and H. Arai, "FDTD analysis of printed monopole antenna," 2001 Eleventh International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, (IEE Conf. Publ. No. 480), Vol. 2, 728-731, April 17-20, 2001.
6. Behera, A. R. and A. R. Harish, "A novel printed wideband dipole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 9, 4418-4422, September 2012.
7. Cai, R. R., S. Lin, Y.-F. Liu, L.-J. Chen, C.-T. Yang, J.-H. Qiu, and J.-X. Wang, "A printed trapezoid dipole broadband antenna," IEEE International Conference on Ultrawideband (ICUWB), Vol. 1, 2010.
8. Rave, C., T. Jaschke, B. Rohrdantz, and A. F-Jacob, "A curved-edge dipole antenna for UWB applications," European Microwave Conference (EuMA), 648-651, 2103.
9. Sairam, C., T. Khumanthem, S. D. Ahirwar, and S. Singh, "Broadband blade antenna for airborne applications," INDICON-2011, India, December 16-18, 2011.
10. Sairam, C., S. D. Ahirwar, T. Khumanthem, S. Singh, and M. Balachary, "Three bay antenna sub-system for direction finding applications in 20-3000 MHz," 3rd International Conference on Electronic Warfare (EWCI-2014), 344-350, Bangalore, India, February 17-20, 2014.
11. Rumsey, V. H., "Frequency independent antenna," IRE International Convention Record, Vol. 5, 114-118, March 1957.
12. Bhavya, P., K. Lakshmi Narayana, and K. H. Takeshore, "Design and development of conformal printed sleeve dipole antenna operating in 800 MHz to 3000 MHz," Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 9, No. S1, December 2016.
13. Oltman, G., "The compensated balun," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 14, 1628-1631, March 1966.
14. Dean Straw, R. and N6BV, The ARRL Antenna Book, 7th Ed., 2-20-2-22, The American Radio Relay League, Newington, OT. 06111, 1994.
15. CST Microwave StudioTM software homepage, , http://www.cst.com.
16. Jin, X.-H., X.-D. Huang, C.-H. Cheng, and L. Zhu, "Super-wideband printed asymmetrical dipole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 27, 117-123, 2011.