Today, worldwide more than five billion of wireless devices are directly communicating for voice and data transmission. The amount of data utilization has increased remarkably and here comes 5G technology with more prominent features, offering high data rate, low latency rate, efficient EM spectrum utilization, an immense machine-2-machine communication, etc. The efficient implementation of 5G technologies requires efficient and compact antennas. This work presents a novel multiband rectangular dielectric resonator antenna for future 5G wireless communication system, having stacked radiator with semi-circular slots etched on the left and right sides of an upper radiator. Additionally, a semi-elliptical slots rectangular microstrip patch antenna of the same dimensions for the purpose of comparison is designed. 28 and 38 GHz, which are the proposed 5G bands by most researchers, are the core target of this work. Alumina with a high relative permittivity of 9.8 is used as a radiator in the design of DRA, while common in the design of both proposed antennas, Rogers RT/DUROID 5880 with a relative permittivity of 2.2 having standard thickness is used as substrate material. Both the proposed antennas have an overall same size of 13 x 11.25 mm2. The proposed dielectric antenna resonates at 25.4, 34.6, and 38 GHz with a 7.34, 4.04 and 3.30 GHz of wide impedance bandwidth covering the targeted 5G, 28 and 38 GHz bands, having a good return loss of -34.7, -31.8 and -33.5 dB, respectively. Further, the proposed dielectric antenna has a maximum radiation efficiency of 97.63%, with overall radiation efficiency greater than 90%, and maximum gain of 7.6 dBi is also noted. On the other hand, the proposed microstrip antenna resonates at 28 and 38 GHz with a 1.49 and 1.01 GHz of moderate impedance bandwidth, having -23.6 and -27.1 dB of satisfactory return loss. Further, the proposed patch antenna has a maximum radiation efficiency of 90.33% at 28 GHz, with overall radiation efficiency of greater than 84%, and moderate gain of 5.45 dBi is also noted. Both the proposed antennas have a nearly omnidirectional radiation pattern at resonance frequencies, with VSWR less than 2. Comparative study of the two proposed antennas regarding radiation efficiency, return loss, gain, data rate and impedance bandwidth evidently shows that performance of DRA over MPA at millimeter wave is very good. The proposed antennasare simulated in CST Microwave studio v18.
1. Commission of the European Communities, Staff Working Document, "Exploiting the employment potential of ICTs,", Apr. 2012. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2014.6736752
2. Wang, C.-X., F. Haider, X. Gao, X.-H. You, Y. Yang, D. Yuan, H. M. Ggoune, H. Haas, S. Fletcher, and E. Hepsaydir, "Cellular architecture and key technologies for 5G wireless communication networks," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 2, 122-130, Feb. 2014. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2012.2186214
3. Ying, Z., "Antennas in cellular phones for mobile communications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2286-2296, Jul. 2012. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2014.6736752
4. Wang, C.-X., F. Haider, X. Gao, X.-H. You, Y. Yang, D. Yuan, H. Aggoune, H. Haas, S. Fletcher, and E. Hepsaydir, "Cellular architecture and key technologies for 5G wireless communication networks," Communications Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 2, 122, 130, IEEE, Feb. 2014. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2014.6894452
5. Elkashlan, M., T. Q. Duong, and H.-H. Chen, "Millimeter-wave communications for 5G: Fundamentals: Part I [Guest Editorial]," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 9, 52-54, 2014.
6. Ali, M. M. M., O. Haraz, S. Alshebeili, and A. R. Sebak, "Broadband printed slot antenna for the fifth generation (5G) mobile and wireless communications," 17th International Symposium on Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics (ANTEM), 1-2, Montreal, QC, 2016.
7. Parchin, N. O., M. Shen, and G. F. Pedersen, "End-fire phased array 5G antenna design using leaf-shaped bow-tie elements for 28/38 GHz MIMO applications," IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous Wireless Broadband (ICUWB), 1-4, Nanjing, 2016.
8. El-Bacha, A. and R. Sarkis, "Design of tilted taper slot antenna for 5G base station antenna circular array," 2016 IEEE Middle East Conference on Antennas and Propagation (MECAP), 1-4, Beirut, 2016. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2014.6894454
9. Hong, W., K. H. Baek, Y. Lee, Y. Kim, and S. T. Ko, "Study and prototyping of practically large-scale mm Wave antenna systems for 5G cellular devices," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 9, 63-69, Sep. 2014. doi:10.1109/ICUFN.2017.7993764
10. Al-Falajy, N. and O. Y. K. Alani, "Design considerations of ultra dense 5G network in millimeter wave band," 2017 Ninth International Conference on Ubiquitous and Future Networks (ICUFN), 141-146, 2017. doi:10.1109/APS.2015.7305610
11. Outerelo, D. A., A. V. Alejos, M. G. Sanchez, and M. V. Isasa, "Microstrip antenna for 5G broadband communication: Overview of design issues," 2015 IEEEinternational Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 2443-2444, 2015. doi:10.1109/ICMIM.2017.7918846
12. Ahmad, W. and W. T. Khan, "Small form factor dual band (28/38 GHz) PIFA antenna for 5G applications," 2017 IEEE MTTS International Conference on micromaves for Intelligent Mobility (ICMIM), 21-24, 2017.
13. Wu, T.-Y. and T. Chang, "Interference reduction by millimeter wave technology for 5G based green communications ," IEEE Journals & Magazines, Vol. 4, 10228-10234, 2016. doi:10.1109/ICETEESES.2016.7581361
14. Rouy, P., R. K, Vishwakarma, A. Jain, and R. Singh, "Multiband millimeter wave antenna array for 5G communication," 2016 International Conference on Emerging Trends in Electrical Electronics & Sustainable Energy Systems (ICETEESES), 102-105, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2046861
15. Chen, X.-P., K. Wu, L. Han, and F. He, "Low-cost high planar antenna array for 60-GHz band applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 6, 2126-2129, Jun. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2123058
16. Biglarbegian, B., M. Fakharzadeh, D. Busuioc, M.-R. N. Ahmadi, and S. S. Naeini, "Optimized micro strip antenna arrays for emerging millimeter wave wireless applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 5, 1742-1747, May 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2220331
17. Wang, L., Y.-X. Guo, and W.-X. Sheng, "Wideband high-gain 60-GHz LTCCL probe patch antenna array with a soft surface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 4, 1802-1809, Apr. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2311994
18. Li, M. and K.-M. Luk, "Low-cost wideband micro strip antenna array for 60-GHz applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 6, 3012-3018, Jun. 2014.
19. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, Wiley & Sons Ltd, New Jersy, 2005.
20. Huang, Y. and K. Boyle, Antennas from Theory to Practice, Wiley & Sons Ltd, West Sussex, 2008.
21. Khan, M., S. U. Rahman, M. K. Khan, and M. Saleem, "A dual notched band printed monopole antenna for ultra-wide band applications," 2016 Progress In Electromagnetic Research Symposium (PIERS), Shanghai, China, Aug. 8-11, 2016.
22. Rahman, S. U., M. I. Khan, N. Akhtar, and F. Murad, "Planar dipole antenna for tri-band PCS and WLAN communications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Symposium (PIERS), Shanghai, China, Aug. 8-11, 2016.
23. Ali, M. M. M. and A.-R. Sebak, "Dual band (28/38 GHz) CPW slot directive antenna for future 5G cellular applications," 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 2016.
24. Saini, J. and S. K. Agarwal, "Design a single band microstrip patch antenna at 60 GHz millimeter wave for 5G applications," 2017 International Conference on Computer, Communications and Electronics (Comptelix), 227-230, IEEE Conference Publications, 2017.
25. Haraz, O. M., A. Elboushi, S. A. Alshebeili, and A. Sebak, "Dense dielectric patch array antenna with improved radiation characteristics using EBG ground structure and dielectric superstrate for future 5G cellular networks," Access, Vol. 2, 909, 913, IEEE, 2014.
26. Haraz, O. M., A. Elboushi, and A.-R. Sebak, "New dense dielectric patch array antenna for future 5G short-range communications," The 16th International Symposium on Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics (ANTEM 2014), Victoria, Canada, Jul. 13-17, 2014.
27. Ali, M. M. M., O. M. Haraz, S. Alshebeili, and A.-R. Sebak, "Design of broadband and dual-band printed slot antennas for the fifth generation (5G) mobile and wireless communications," 32nd National Radio Science Conference NRSC 2015, Egypt, Oct. 6, 2015. doi:10.1109/74.706069
28. Petosa, A., A. Ittipiboon, Y. M. M. Antar, and D. Roscoe, "Recent advances in dielectric resonator antenna technology," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 40, No. 3, 35-48, Jun. 1998.
29. Diao, Y., M. Su, Y. Liu, S. Li, and W. Wang, "Compact and multiband dielectric resonator antenna for mobile terminals," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, Jul. 2015.
30. Embong, N. and M. F. Mansor, "Multiband Dielectric Resonator Antenna (DRA) for Long Term Evolution Advanced (LTE-A) handheld devices," International Conference on Space Science and Communication (IconSpace), Aug. 2015.
31. Jamaluddin, M. H., N. A. Mohammad, and S. Z. Naqiyah, "Size reduction of MIMO dielectric resonator antenna for LTE application," IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Applied Electromagnetics (APACE), Dec. 2016.
32. Sher, C., Z. Chen, J. Yu, Y. Yao, L. Qi, and X. Chen, "A gain enhanced dielectric resonator antenna covering 62–78 GHz band for 5G," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), May 2018.
33. Sharma, A., A. Sarkar, M. Adhikary, A. Biswas, and M. J. Akhtar, "SIWfed MIMO DRA for future 5G applications," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, Jul. 2017.
34. Ashikin Jaafar, N., M. H. Jamaluddin, J. Nasir, and N. M. Noor, "H-shaped dielectric resonator antenna for future 5G application," IEEE International RF and Microwave Conference (RFM 2015), 14-16, Dec. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2029292
35. Perron, A., T. A. Denidni, and A.-R. Sebak, "High-gain hybriddielectric resonator antenna for millimeter-wave applications: Design and implementation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 10, 2882-2892, 2009.
36. Erfani, E., T. Denidni, S. Tatu, and M. Niroo-Jazi, "A broadband and high gain millimeter-wave hybrid dielectric resonator antenna," Proceedings of the 17th International Symposium on Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics (ANTEM’16), 1-2, IEEE, Montreal, Canada, Jul. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2046852
37. Lai, Q., C. Fumeaux, W. Hong, and R. Vahldieck, "60 GHz aperture-coupled dielectric resonator antennas fed by a halfmode substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 6, 1856-1864, 2010.
38. Coulibaly, Y., M. Nedil, I. Ben Mabrouk, L. Talbi, and T. A. Denidni, "High gain rectangular dielectric resonator for broadband millimeter-waves underground communications," Proceedings of the 24th Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE’11), 001088-001091, IEEE, Ontario, Canada, May 2011.
39. Coulibaly, Y., M. Nedil, L. Talbi, and T. A. Denidni, "Design of high gain and broadband antennas at 60GHz for underground communications systems," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, Article ID 386846, 7 pages, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2262667
40. Al-Hasan, M. J., T. A. Denidni, and A. R. Sebak, "Millimeter-wave EBG-based aperture-coupled dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 8, 4354-4357, 2013.
41. Karimian, R., A. Kesavan, M. Nedil, and T. A. Denidni, "Low mutual coupling 60-GHz MIMO antenna system with frequency selective surface wall," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 2016.
42. Bijumon, P. V., Y. M. M. Antar, A. P. Freundorfer, and M. Sayer, "Integrated dielectric resonator antennas for system on-chip applications," Proceedings of the International Conference on Microelectronics (ICM’07), 275-278, IEEE, Cairo, Egypt, Dec. 2007.
43. Allabouche, K., V. Bobrovs, F. Fererro, L. Lizzi, J.-M. Ribero, N. El Amrani El Idrissi, M. Jorio, and M. Elbakali, "Multiband rectangular dielectric resonator antenna for 5G applications," International Conference on Wireless Technologies, Embedded and Intelligent Systems (WITS), 2017.
44. McAllister, M. W., S. A. Long, and G. L. Conway, "Rectangular dielectric resonator antenna," Proceedings of the International Symposium Digest --- Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 21, 696-699, May 1983. doi:10.1109/8.247779
45. Leung, K. W., K. M. Luk, K. Y. A. Lai, and D. Lin, "Theory and experiment of a coaxial probe fed hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 10, 1390-1398, 1993.