In this paper, a wideband metasurface reflector that converts polarization of plane wave to the cross polarization with a double-square-shaped unit cell is presented, and the principle of polarization conversion based on polarization synthesis is also presented. The proposed structure has a unit cell with the longest dimension of 0.37 wavelength, a width of 0.23 wavelength, and a thickness of about 0.09 wavelength. 95% or more of the incident wave power is converted to cross-polarization covering a fractional bandwidth of 32.4% at 8.5 GHz.
2. Carrubba, E., S. Genovesi, A. Monorchio, and G. Manara, "AMC-based low profile antennas for 4G communication services," 2007 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 3364-3367, Honolulu, USA, Jun. 2007.
3. Qu, D., L. Shafai, and A. Foroozesh, "Improving microstrip patch antenna performance using EBG substrates," IEE Proc. --- Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 153, No. 6, 558-563, Dec. 2006.
4. Foroozesh, A. and L. Shafai, "Investigation into the application of artificial magnetic conductors to bandwidth broadening, gain enhancement and beam shaping of low profile and conventional monopole antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 1, 4-19, Jan. 2011.
5. Nakamura, T. and T. Fukusako, "Broadband design of circularly polarized microstrip patch antenna using artificial ground structure with rectangular unit cells," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 6, 2103-2110, Jun. 2011.
6. Maruyama, S. and T. Fukusako, "An interpretative study on circularly polarized patch antenna using artificial ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 11, 5919-5924, Nov. 2014.
7. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A low profile single dipole antenna radiating circularly polarized waves," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 9, 3083-3086, Sep. 2005.
8. Ta, S. X. and I. Park, "Artificial magnetic conductor-based circularly polarized crossed-dipole antennas: 1. AMC structure with grounding pins," Radio Science, 630-641, May 2017.
9. Gao, X., X. Han, W.-P. Cao, H. O. Li, H. F. Ma, and T. J. Cui, "Ultrawideband and high-efficiency linear polarization converter based on double V-shaped metasurface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 8, 3522-3530, Aug. 2015.
10. Zheng, Q., C. Guo, and J. Ding, "Wideband metasurface-based reflective polarization converter for linear-to-linear and linear-to-circular polarization conversion," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 17, No. 8, 1459-1463, Aug. 2018.
11. Xu, H. X., S. W. Tang, G. M. Wang, T. Cai, W. Huang, Q. He, S. Sun, and L. Zhou, "Multifunctional microstrip array combining a linear polarizer and focusing metasurface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 8, 3676-3682, 2016.
12. Zhao, J. C. and Y. Z. Cheng, "A high-efficiency and broadband reflective 90◦ linear polarization rotator based on anisotropic metamaterial," Applied Physics B, Vol. 122, 255, 2016.
13. Zhao, J. C. and Y. Z. Cheng, "Ultrathin dual-band polarization angle independent 90◦ polarization rotator with giant optical activity based on planar chiral metamaterial," Applied Physics B, Vol. 124, 185, 2018.
14. Cheng, Y. Z., W. Li, and X. Mao, "Triple-band polarization angle independent 90◦ polarization rotator based on fermat's spiral structure planar chiral metamaterial," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 165, 35-45, 2019.
15. Xu, H. X., G. W. Hu, L. Han, M. H. Jiang, Y. J. Huang, Y. Li, X.M. Yang, X. H Ling, L. Z. Chen, J. L. Zhao, and C. W. Qiu, "Chirality-assisted high]efficiency metasurfaces with independent control of phase, amplitude, and polarization," Advanced Optical Materials, Vol. 7, No. 4, 1801479, Feb. 2019.
16. Euler, M., V. Fusco, R. Cahill, and R. Dickie, "325 GHz single layer sub-millimeter wave FSS based split slot ring linear to circular polarization convertor," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2457-2459, Jul. 2010.
17. Hwang, K. C., "A novel meander-grooved polarization twist reflector," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 4, 217-219, Apr. 2010.
18. Zhu, X. C., et al., "A novel reflective surface with polarization rotation haracteristic," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 968-971, Aug. 2013.
19. Chen, H., et al., "Ultra-wideband polarization conversion metasurfaces," Proc. IEEE 3rd Asia Pac. Conf. Antennas Propag. (APCAP), 1009-1011, Jul. 2014.
20. Zhang, L., P. Zhou, H. Lu, H. Cheng, J. Xie, and L. Deng, "Ultra-thin effective metamaterial polarization rotator based on multiple plasmon resonances," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1157-1160, May 2015.
21. Li, L., Y. J. Li, Z. Wu, F. F. Huo, Y. L. Zhang, and C. S. Zhao, "Novel polarization reconfigurable converter based on multilayer frequency-selective surfaces," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 103, No. 7, 1057-1070, Jul. 2015.
22. Li, L., Y. Li, Z. Wu, F. Huo, Y. Zhang, and C. Zhao, "Novel polarization reconfigurable converter based on multilayer frequency-selective surfaces," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 103, No. 7, 1057-1070, Jul. 2015.
23. Nakano, H., K. Kikkawa, N. Kondo, Y. Iitsuka, and J. Yamauchi, "Low-profile equiangular spiral antenna backed by an EBG reflector," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 5, 1309-1318, May 2009.