In this paper, an absorptive filter-integrated switch (FIS) using switchable T-shape resonators is presented. The FIS was made up of two absorptive T-shape resonators and integrated with single pole double throw (SPDT) switch. A simple mathematical analysis of isolation and insertion loss of filter-integrated SPDT switch is discussed. PIN diodes were used as the switching elements for the SPDT switch and to reconfigure between the band-stop and bandpass responses. The proposed absorptive FIS design could be used for internet of things (IoT) applications such as Zigbee and Bluetooth at an operation frequency of 2.45 GHz. As a result, the proposed FIS exhibited low magnitude of insertion loss and high isolation. Therefore, the key advantages of the proposed FIS design are low insertion loss, high isolation, and good return loss at both ON- and OFF-state ports.
2. Singh, R., et al., "A 3/5 GHz reconfigurable CMOS low-noise amplifier integrated with a four-terminal phase-change RF switch," 2015 IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM), IEEE, 2015.
3. Reyaz, S., et al., "A W band RFMEMS switched LNA in a 70 nm mHEMT process," International Journal of RF and Microwave ComputerAided Engineering, Vol. 25, No. 7, 639-646, 2015.
4. Sahoo, A. K., R. D. Gupta, and M. S. Parihar, "A 2×2 integrated filter antenna array," 2017 11th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), IEEE, 2017.
5. Chao, S. F. and M. W. Shih, "Design of double-pole-double-throw bandpass filter-integrated switches," PIERS Proceedings, 1241-1244, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, March 27–30, 2012.
6. Lee, J., Z.-M. Tsai, and H. Wang, "A band-pass filter-integrated switch using field-effect transistors and its power analysis," 2006 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, IEEE, 2006.
7. Lee, D. and C. Nguyen, "K/Ka-band single-pole single-throw switch with integrated filtering function," 2014 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), IEEE, 2014.
8. Liao, W.-H., C.-S. Chen, and Y.-S. Lin, "Single-chip integration of electronically switchable bandpass filter for 3.5 GHz WiMAX application," 2010 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, IEEE, 2010.
9. Rave, C., F. O. Storjohann, and A. F. Jacob, "A compact bandpass filter integrated SPDT PIN switch at X-band," GeMiC 2014, German Microwave Conference, VDE, 2014.
10. Lee, J., et al., "Low insertion-loss single-pole–double-throw reduced-size quarter-wavelength HEMT bandpass filter integrated switches," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3028-3038, 2008.
11. Xu, J., et al., "Quasi-lumped-element filter-integrated single-pole double-throw switch," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 65, No. 11, 4564-4571, 2017.
12. Chao, S.-F., et al., "40-GHz MMIC SPDT and multiple-port bandpass filter-integrated switches," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 12, 2691-2699, 2007.
13. Zhang, X. Y., J.-X. Xu, and J.-X. Chen, "High-power filtering switch with low loss and high isolation based on dielectric resonator," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 65, No. 6, 2101-2110, 2017.
14. Um, Y. and C. Nguyen, "High-isolation multimode multifunction 24-/60-GHz CMOS dual-bandpass filtering T/R switch," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 28, No. 8, 696-698, 2018.
15. Xu, J.-X., et al., "Narrowband single-pole double-throw filtering switch based on dielectric resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 28, No. 7, 594-596, 2018.
16. Chen, C.-S., J.-F. Wu, and Y.-S. Lin, "Compact single-pole-double-throw switchable bandpass filter based on multicoupled line," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 24, No. 2, 87-89, 2013.
17. Chao, S.-F., et al., "Electronically switchable bandpass filters using loaded stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 12, 4193-4201, 2006.
18. Chao, S.-F., et al., "A 40-GHz MMIC SPDT bandpass filter integrated switch," 2007 IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, IEEE, 2007.
19. Tsai, Z.-M., et al., "Analysis and design of bandpass single-pole-double-throw FET filter-integrated switches," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 8, 1601-1610, 2007.
20. Lee, J., et al., "A Q-band low loss reduced-size filter-integrated SPDT switch using 0.15 μm MHEMT technology," 2008 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, IEEE, 2008.
21. Phudpong, P., et al., "A high-isolation low-insertion-loss filter-integrated PIN diode antenna switch," 2009 Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, IEEE, 2009.
22. Chao, S.-F., "42 GHz MMIC SPDT bandpass filter-integrated switch using HEMT loaded coupled lines," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 9, 505-506, 2012.
23. Phudpong, R., et al., "An absorptive bandpass-integrated p-i-n diode T/R switch for 2.5 GHz WiMAX high power terminals," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 12, 2705-2708, 2012.
24. Xu, J., Z. Y. Chen, and Q. H. Cai, "Miniaturized frequency-agile bandpass filter integrated single-pole double-throw switch," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 28, No. 8, e21403, 2018.
25. Xu, J., H. Wan, and Z.-Y. Chen, "Sharp skirt bandpass filter-integrated single-pole double-throw switch with absorptive OFF-state," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 67, No. 2, 704-711, 2018.
26. Guyette, A. C., et al., "Perfectly-matched bandstop filters using lossy resonators," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 2005, IEEE, 2005.
27. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, 2009.
28. Hunter, I., Theory and Design of Microwave Filters, No. 48, IET, 2001.
29. Adoum, B. A., W. P. Wen, and M. S. Osman, "Switchable matched band-stop filter for high power interference mitigation," 2013 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), IEEE, 2013.
30. Ma, K., et al., "A novel compact self-packaged SPDT switchable BPFs based on SISL platform," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 66, No. 9, 7239-7249, 2018.
31. SolutionsNXP, AN11991 Application note, 1-61, accessible at: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en-/application-note/AN11991.pdf, 2017.