This paper describes the design and development of a highly directive planar end-fire array using arc dipoles as the array elements. The inter element spacing, shape and size of the array elements are optimized for maximum directivity and gain. The array is printed on a substrate whose dimensions are also optimized for better performance. The overall length of the proposed six element array is 1.9λ, giving directivity and gain values as 12.0 dBi and 10.2 dBi respectively at 5.8 GHz.
2. Hansen, R. C. and R. E. Collin, Chapter 6: Superdirective Antennas, Small Antenna Handbook, John Wiley and Sons Inc., 2011.
3. Siachalou, E., E. Vafiadis, S. S. Goudos, T. Samaras, C. S. Koukourlis, and S. Panas, "On the design of switched-beam wideband base stations," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 46, No. 1, 158-167, Feb. 2004.
4. Harrington, R. F., "Effect of antenna size on gain, bandwidth and efficiency," Journal of Research of the National Bureau of Standards — D. Radio Propagation, Vol. 64D, No. 1, 1-1, Jan.–Feb. 1960.
5. Uzkov, A. I., "An approach to the problem of optimum directive antenna design," C.R. Dold, Acad. Sci. USSR, Vol. 53, No. 1, 35-38, 1946.
6. Schelkunoff, S. A., "A mathematical theory of linear arrays," The Bell System Technical Journal, Vol. 22, No. 1, 80-107, Jan. 1943.
7. Dolph, C. L., "A current distribution for broadside arrays which optimises the relationship between beamwidth and side-lobe level," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 34, No. 6, 335-348, Jun. 1946.
8. Altshuler, E. E., T. H. O'Donnell, A. D. Yaghjian, and S. R. Best, "A monopole superdirective array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 8, 2653-2661, Aug. 2005.
9. Pirhadi, A. and M. Hakkak, "An analytical investigation of the radiation characteristics of infinitesimal dipole antenna embedded in partially reflective surfaces to obtain high directivity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 137-155, 2006.
10. Pajewski, L., L. Rinaldi, and G. Schettini, "Enhancement of directivity using 2D electromagnetic crystals near the band-gap edge: A full-wave approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 179-196, 2008.
11. Abbaspour-Tamijani, A., L. Zhang, and H. K. Pan, "Enhancing the directivity of phased array antennas using lens-arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 29, 41-64, 2013.
12. Radkovskaya, A., S. Kiriushechkina, A. Vakulenko, P. Petrov, L. Solymar, L. Li, A. Vallecchi, C. J. Stevens, and E. Shamonina, "Superdirectivity from arrays of strongly coupled meta-atoms," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 124, No. 10, 104901, 2018.
13. Haskou, A., A. Sharaiha, and S. Collardey, "Design of small parasitic loaded superdirective end-fire antenna arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 12, 5456-5464, Dec. 2015.
14. Hammoud, M., A. Haskou, A. Sharaiha, and S. Collardey, "Small end-fire superdirective folded meandered monopole antenna array," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 9, 2122-2124, 2016.
15. Clemente, A., C. Jouanlanne, and C. Delaveaud, "Analysis and design of a four-element superdirective compact dipole antenna array," 2017 11th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 2700-2704, Paris, 2017.
16. Clemente, A., M. Pigeon, L. Rudant, and C. Delaveaud, "Design of a super directive four-element compact antenna array using spherical wave expansion," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 11, 4715-4722, Nov. 2015.
17. Dinesh, S., D. D. Krishna, J. M. Laheurte, and C. K. Aanandan, "A super-directive two-element parasitic dipole antenna," 2019 IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 554-556, Singapore, 2019.
18. Yao, G.-W., Z.-H. Xue, W.-M. Li, W. Ren, and J. Cao, "Research on a new kind of high directivity end-fire antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 33, 135-151, 2011.
19. Liu, J. and Q. Xue, "Microstrip magnetic dipole Yagi array antenna with endfire radiation and vertical polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 3, 1140-1147, Mar. 2013.
20. Cai, X., W. Geyi, and H. Sun, "A printed dipole array with high gain and endfire radiation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1512-1515, 2017.
21. Aguila, P., S. Zuffanelli, G. Zamora, F. Paredes, F. Martin, and J. Bonache, "Planar Yagi-Uda antenna array based on split-ring resonators (SRRs)," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1233-1236, 2017.
22. Guo, H. and W. Geyi, "Design of Yagi-Uda antenna with multiple driven elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 92, 101-112, 2019.
23. Choo, H., R. Rogers, and H. Ling, "On the wheeler cap measurement of the efficiency of microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 7, 2328-2332, Jul. 2005.