This paper describes a theoretical characterization of a Transverse Electric (TE)-polarized vortex beam antenna in the microwave range. The main body of the antenna consists of a cylindrical waveguide that is excited by a traveling-wave current ring feeder. A new design of the feeder is proposed. Closed-form formulas are obtained for the fields and the antenna input impedance following a conventional derivation based on the electric vector potential. A detailed dispersion analysis is used for accurate evaluation of the relevant spectrum and propagation properties. The effectiveness of the theoretical derivations is validated via full-wave numerical simulations.
2. Beth, R. A., "Mechanical detection and measurement of the angular momentum of light," Physical Review, Vol. 50, No. 2, 115-125, 1936.
3. Allen, L., M. W. Beijersbergen, R. J. Spreeuw, and J. P. Woerdman, "Orbital angular-momentum of light and the transformation of Laguerre-Gaussian laser modes," Physical Review A, Vol. 45, No. 11, 8185-8189, 1992.
4. Chen, R., H. Zhou, M. Moretti, X. Wang, and J. Li, "Orbital angular momentum waves: generation, detection and emerging applications,", arXiv preprint arXiv:1903.07818, Mar. 2019.
5. Thide, B., H. Then, J. Sjoholm, K. Palmer, J. Bergman, T. D. Carozzi, Y. N. Istomin, N. H. Ibragimov, and R. Khamitova, "Utilization of photon orbital angular momentum in the low-frequency radio domain," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 99, No. 8, 087701-1-087701-4, Aug. 2007.
6. Durnin, J. J. J. M., J. J. Miceli, Jr, and J. H. Eberly, "Diffraction-free beams," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 58, No. 15, 1499-1501, Apr. 1987.
7. Barbuto, M., F. Trotta, F. Bilotti, and A. Toscano, "Circular polarized patch antenna generating orbital angular momentum," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 148, 23-30, 2014.
8. Huang, M., X. Zong, and Z. P. Nie, "Horn antenna generating electromagnetic field with orbital angular momentum," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 60, 57-65, 2017.
9. Al-Bassam, A., M. A. Salem, and C. Caloz, "Vortex beam generation using circular leaky-wave antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1792-1793, 2014.
10. Ettorre, M. and A. Grbic, "Generation of propagating Bessel beams using leaky-wave modes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 8, 3605-3613, 2012.
11. Lu, P., D. Voyer, A. Br´eard, J. Huillery, B. Allard, X. Lin-Shi, and X. S. Yang, "Design of TEpolarized bessel antenna in microwave range using leaky-wave modes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 1, 32-41, 2018.
12. Dheyab, E. and N. Qasem, "Design and optimization of rectangular microstrip patch array antenna using frequency selective surfaces for 60 GHz," International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, Vol. 11, No. 7, 4679-4687, 2016.
13. Pelin, N., M. H. Salem, E. Niver, and M. A. Salem, "Microwave vortex beam launcher design," IET Journal on Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 14, 2149-2153, 2018.
14. Mao, F., T. Li, Y. Shao, J. Yang, and M. Huang, "Orbital angular momentum radiation from circular patches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 61, 13-18, 2016.
15. Hui, X., S. Zheng, Y. Chen, Y. Hu, X. Jin, H. Chi, and X. Zhang, "Multiplexed millimeter wave communication with dual orbital angular momentum (OAM) mode antennas," Scientific Reports, Vol. 5, No. 1, 1-9, 2015.
16. Berglind, E. and G. Bjork, "Humblet’s decomposition of the electromagnetic angular moment in metallic waveguides," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 62, No. 4, 779-788, 2014.
17. Alamayreh, A., N. Qasem, and J. Rahhal, "General configuration MIMO system with arbitrary OAM," Electromagnetics, Vol. 40, No. 5, 343-353, 2020.
18. Cheng, W., H. Zhang, L. Liang, H. Jing, and Z. Li, "Orbital-angular-momentum embedded massive MIMO: Achieving multiplicative spectrum-efficiency for mmWave communications," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 2732-2745, 2017.
19. Zheng, S., Y. Chen, Z. Zhang, X. Jin, H. Chi, X. Zhang, and Z. N. Chen, "Realization of beam steering based on plane spiral orbital angular momentum wave," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 3, 1352-1358, 2017.
20. Cheng, W., W. Zhang, H. Jing, S. Gao, and H. Zhang, "Orbital angular momentum for wireless communications," IEEE Wireless Communications, Vol. 26, No. 1, 100-107, 2018.
21. Astley, V., B. McCracken, R. Mendis, and D. M. Mittleman, "Analysis of rectangular resonant cavities in terahertz parallel-plate waveguides," Optics Letters, Vol. 36, No. 8, 1452-1454, 2011.
22. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetic, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1989.
23. Collin, R. E., Foundations for Microwave Engineering, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1966.
24. Fuscaldo, W., G. Valerio, A. Galli, R. Sauleau, A. Grbic, and M. Ettorre, "Higher-order leaky-mode bessel-beam launcher," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 3, 904-913, 2015.
25. King, R. W. P., "The loop antenna for transmission and reception," Antenna Theory, Part 1, 1st Edition, Inter-University Electronic Series, Vol. 7, Chap. 11, 458–482, R. E. Collin and F. J. Zucker, ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, 1969.
26. Sutinjo, A., M. Okoniewski, and R. H. Johnston, "Radiation from fast and slow traveling waves," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 4, 175-181, 2008.
27. Jackson, D. R. and A. A. Oliner, "Leaky-wave antennas," Modern Antenna Handbook, Chap. 7, 325–367, C. Balanis, ed., Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 2008.
28. Knudsen, H. L., "The field radiated by a ring quasi-array of an infinite number of tangential or radial dipoles," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 41, No. 6, 781-789, 1953.