Novel substrate integrated waveguide bandpass filters are presented by using a complementary split-ring resonator. The proposed stepped impedance octagonal octagonal complementary split-ring resonator (SI-OCSRR) presents high miniaturization compared to the classical octagonal complementary split-ring resonator (O-CSRR). Additionally, two different filter configurations consisting of two cascaded cells with different coupling between the CSRR are proposed. A comparison between the proposed filters and the other ones reported in the literature has proven the advantages of the proposed filters, namely compact size, high in-band return loss, and ease of integration. A good agreement between the simulated and measured results has been reached, which verifies the validity of the design methodology.
1. Wu, G. K., D. Deslandes, and Y. Cassivi, "The substrate integrated circuits — A new concept for high-frequency electronics and optoelectronics," 6th International Conference on Telecommunications in Modern Satellite, Cable and Broadcasting Service, 2003, Telsiks 2003, Vol. 1, P-III, IEEE, 2003.
2. Wu, K., "Integration and interconnect techniques of planar and non-planar structures for microwave and millimeter-wave circuits-current status and future trend," Microwave Conference, 2001, APMC 2001, Vol. 2, 411-416, IEEE, Asia-Pacific, 2001. doi:10.1109/APMC.2001.985398
4. Rong, Y., K. A. Zaki, M. Hageman, D. Stevens, and J. Gipprich, "Low-Temperature Cofired Ceramic (LTCC) ridge waveguide bandpass chip filters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techn., Vol. 47, No. 12, 2317-2324, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.808977
6. Moitra, S. and P. S. Bhowmik, "Modelling and analysis of Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) and Half-Mode SIW (HMSIW) band-pass filter using reactive longitudinal periodic structures," AEU — Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 70, No. 12, 1593-1600, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2016.09.005
7. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Soviet Physics USPEKHI, Vol. 10, No. 14, 509-514, January–February 1968. doi:10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
8. Solymar, L. and E. Shamonina, Waves in Metamaterials, University Press, 2017.
9. Keshavarz, S. and N. Nozhat, "Dual-band Wilkinson power divider based on composite right/left-handed transmission lines," 2016 13th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/ Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology (ECTI-CON), IEEE, 2016.
10. Keshavarz, S., et al., "Design and implementation of low loss and compact microstrip triplexer using CSRR loaded coupled lines," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 111, 152913, 2019. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2019.152913
11. Karthikeyan, S. S. and R. S. Kshetrimayum, "Harmonic suppression of parallel coupled micro-strip line band-pass filter using CSRR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 7, 193-201, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL08122602
12. Falcone, F., et al., "Babinet principle applied to the design of meta-surfaces and metamaterials," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 93, No. 1, 97401, 2004.
13. Falcone, F., T. Lopetegi, J. D. Baena, R. Marques, F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, "Effective negative-epsilon stopband microstrip lines based on complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 6, 280-282, June 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2004.828029
15. Pendry, J. B., D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, "Controlling electromagnetic fields," Science, Vol. 312, 1780-1782, 2006. doi:10.1126/science.1125907
16. Nwajana, A. O., A. Dainkeh, and K. S. K. Yeo, "Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) bandpass filter with novel microstrip-CPW-SIW input coupling," Journal of Microwaves. Optoelectronics and Electromagnetic Applications, Vol. 16, No. 2, 393-402, 2017. doi:10.1590/2179-10742017v16i2793
17. Deslandes, D., "Design equations for tapered microstrip-to-substrate integrated waveguide transitions," 2010 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 2010.
18. Dong, Y. D., T. Yang, and T. Itoh, "Substrate integrated waveguide loaded by complementary split-ring resonators and its applications to miniaturized waveguide filter," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 9, 2211-2223, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2027156
19. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., Chapter 8, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2005.
20. Huang, L., I. D. Robertson, W. Wu, and N. Yuan, "Substrate integrated waveguide filters with broadside-coupled complementary split-ring resonators," IET Microwaves, Ante. Propagat., Vol. 7, No. 10, 795-801, 2013. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2013.0117
21. Yan, T., X.-H. Tang, Z.-X. Xu, and D. Lu, "A novel type of band-pass filter using complementary open-ring resonator loaded HMSIWwith an electric cross-coupling," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 4, 998-1001, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29719
22. Delmonte, N., L. Silvestri, M. Bozzi, and L. Perregrini, "Compact half-mode SIW cavity filters designed by exploiting resonant mode control," Int. J. RF Microwave Comput.-Aided Eng., Vol. 26, 72-79, 2016. doi:10.1002/mmce.20940
23. Azad, A. R. and A. Mohan, "Sixteenth-mode substrate integrated waveguide bandpass filter loaded with complementary split-ring resonator," Electron. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 8, 546-547, 2017. doi:10.1049/el.2016.3620
24. Chu, P., W. Hong, M. Tuo, K.-L. Zheng, W.-W. Yang, F. Xu, and K. Wu, "Dual-mode substrate integrated waveguide filter with flexible response," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 65, No. 3, 824-830, 2017. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2016.2633346
25. Danaeian, M. and K. Afrooz, "Compact metamaterial unit-cell based on stepped-impedance resonator technique and its application to miniaturize substrate integrated waveguide filter and diplexer," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 2, e21537, 2019. doi:10.1002/mmce.21537