In this study, a star-wheel design of single crystal sapphire optical fiber is proposed to achieve single mode operation in the infrared regime. In the azimuthal direction the structure retains a reduced core of higher refractive index. It is connected to the outer boundary viastar-wheel configuration of segments. The region of alternating symmetrical truncated cavities of lower refractive index is air. The enclosed alternating layers of sapphire and air cavities around the reduced core function as cladding. Fiber structure in the azimuthal directionis uniformly distributed in the radial direction. Finite element method is employed to analyze the modal characteristics of fundamental and higher order modes. Under strongly guided approximation, the structure can effectively eliminate the large modal interference. The proposed waveguides, at operating wavelength of ~1.55 µm, with the diameter of ~50 µm, 75 µm, 100 µm, and 125 µm diameter, exhibit confinement loss of ~0.0314 dB/m, 0.0072 dB/m, 0.0023 dB/m, and 0.0009 dB/m, respectively. It is anticipated that such fiber can be a potential candidate in addressing a wide range of optical sensors and communication systems, which unable to sustain in extremely harsh environments. COMSOL multi-physics ® is used to perform numerical investigations.
2. Katyba, G. M., K. I. Zaytsev, I. N. Dolganova, I. A. Shikunova, N. V. Chernomyrdin, S. O. Yurchenko, G. A. Komandin, I. V. Reshetov, V. V. Nesvizhevsky, and V. N. Kurlov, "Sapphire shaped crystals for waveguiding, sensing and exposure applications," Progress in Crystal Growth and Characterization of Materials, Vol. 64, No. 4, 133-151, Dec. 2018.
3. Chen, H., K. Liu, Y. Ma, F. Tian, and H. Du, "Nanostructured sapphire optical fiber for sensing in harsh environments," Micro-and Nanotechnology Sensors, Systems, and Applications IX, Vol. 10194, 101941P, International Society for Optics and Photonics, May 18, 2017.
4. Bera, S., B. Liu, J. Wuenschell, J. Baltrus, D. Lau, B. Howard, M. Buric, B. Chorpening, and P. Ohodnicki, "Fabrication and evaluation of sapphire fiber cladding via magnesium aluminate spinel sol-gel based approaches," Fiber Optic Sensors and Applications XVI, Vol. 11000, 110000J, International Society for Optics and Photonics, May 14, 2019.
5. Buric, M., B. Liu, J. Thapa, and B. Chorpening, "Single-crystal fiber structures for harsh environment applications (Rising Researcher Presentation)," Fiber Optic Sensors and Applications XV, Vol. 10654, 106540N, International Society for Optics and Photonics, May 14, 2018.
6. Ohanian, III, O. J., A. J. Boulanger, S. D. Rountree, J. T. Jones, A. Birri, and T. E. Blue, "Single-mode sapphire fiber optic distributed sensing for extreme environments," Micro-and Nanotechnology Sensors, Systems, and Applications XI, Vol. 10982, 109822N, International Society for Optics and Photonics, May 13, 2019.
7. Pfeiffenberger, N., G. Pickrell, K. Kokal, and A. Wang, "Sapphire photonic crystal fibers," Optical Engineering, Vol. 49, No. 9, 090501, Sep. 2010.
8. Wang, T., J. Zhang, N. Zhang, S. Wang, B. Wu, N. Lin, P. Kusalik, Z. Jia, and X. Tao, "Single crystal fibers: Diversified functional crystal material," Advanced Fiber Materials, 1-25, 2019.
9. Spratt, W., M. Huang, T. Murray, and H. Xia, "Optical mode confinement and selection in single-crystal sapphire fibers by formation of nanometer scale cavities with hydrogen ion implantation," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 114, No. 20, 203501, Nov. 2, 2013.
10. Shen, Y., L. Tong, and S. Chen, "Performance stability of the sapphire fiber and cladding under high temperature," Harsh Environment Sensors II, Vol. 3852, 134-142, International Society for Optics and Photonics, Dec. 8, 1999.
11. Wilson, B. A., C. M. Petrie, and T. E. Blue, "High-temperature effects on the light transmission through sapphire optical fiber," Journal of the American Ceramic Society, Vol. 101, No. 8, 3452-3459, Aug. 2018.
12. Chen, H., M. Buric, P. R. Ohodnicki, J. Nakano, B. Liu, and B. T. Chorpening, "Review and perspective: Sapphire optical fiber cladding development for harsh environment sensing," Applied Physics Reviews, Vol. 5, No. 1, 011102, Mar. 2018.
13. Zhu, Y., Z. Huang, F. Shen, and A. Wang, "Sapphire-fiber-based white-light interferometric sensor for high-temperature measurements," Optics Letters, Vol. 30, No. 7, 711, 2005.
14. Wang, S.-C., C.-Y. Hsu, T.-T. Yang, D.-Y. Jheng, T.-I. Yang, T.-S. Ho, and S.-L. Huang, "Laser-diode pumped glass-clad Ti:sapphire crystal fiber laser," Optics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 14, 3217, 2016.
15. Djeu, N., , http://www.micromaterialsinc.com for pioneer commercial sapphire fiber provider.
16. Katyba, G. M., N. V. Chernomyrdin, I. N. Dolganova, A. A. Pronin, I. V. Minin, O. V. Minin, K. I. Zaytsev, and V. N. Kurlov, "Step-index sapphire fiber and its application in a terahertz near-field microscopy," Proc. SPIE 11164, Millimetre Wave and Terahertz Sensors and Technology XII, 111640G, Oct. 18, 2019.
17. Katyba, G. M., K. I. Zaytsev, N. V. Chernomyrdin, I. A. Shikunova, G. A. Komandin, V. B. Anzin, and M. Skorobogatiy, "Sapphire photonic crystal waveguides for terahertz sensing in aggressive environments," Advanced Optical Materials, 1800573, 2018.
18. Nubling, R. K. and J. A. Harrington, "Optical properties of single-crystal sapphire fibers," Applied Optics, Vol. 36, No. 24, 5934-5940, Aug. 20, 1997.
19. Hill, C., D. Homa, Z. Yu, Y. Cheng, B. Liu, A. Wang, and G. Pickrell, "Single mode air-clad single crystal sapphire optical fiber," Applied Sciences, Vol. 7, No. 5, 473, May 2017.
20. Cheng, Y., C. Hill, B. Liu, Z. Yu, H. Xuan, D. Homa, A. Wang, and G. Pickrell, "Design and analysis oflarge-core single-mode windmill single crystal sapphire optical fiber," Optical Engineering, Vol. 55, No. 6, 066101, Jun. 1, 2016.
21. Cheng, Y., C. Hill, B. Liu, Z. Yu, H. Xuan, D. Homa, A. Wang, and G. Pickrell, "Modal reduction in single crystal sapphire optical fiber," Optical Engineering, Vol. 54, No. 10, 107103, Oct. 2015.
22. Rastogi, V. and K. S. Chiang, "Analysis of segmented-cladding fiber by the radial-effective-index method," JOSA B, Vol. 21, No. 2, 258-265, Feb. 1, 2004.
23. LaBelle, Jr., H. E., "EFG, the invention and application to sapphire growth," Journal of Crystal Growth, Vol. 50, No. 1, 8-17, Sep. 1, 1980.
24. Mesa, M. C., P. B. Oliete, V. M. Orera, J. Y. Pastor, A. Martın, and J. Llorca, "Microstructure and mechanical properties of Al2O3/Er3Al5O12 eutectic rods grown by the laser-heated floating zone method," Journal of the European Ceramic Society, Vol. 31, No. 7, 1241-1250, Jun. 1, 2011.
25. Andreeta, E. R., M. R. Andreeta, and A. C. Hernandes, "Laser heated pedestal growth of Al2O3/GdAlO3 eutectic fibers," Journal of Crystal Growth, Vol. 234, No. 4, 782-785, Feb. 1, 2002.
26. Yoshikawa, A. and V. Chani, "Growth of optical crystals by the micro-pulling-down method," MRS Bulletin, Vol. 34, No. 4, 266-270, Apr. 2009.
27. Cherin, A. H., An Introduction to Optical Fiber, McGraw-Hill Inc, 1987.
28. Jia, C., N. Wang, K. Li, and H. Jia, "Dual-cladding high birefringence photonic crystal fiber with elliptical-core," Applied Physics B, Vol. 125, No. 9, 158, Sep. 2019.
29. Burman, E., D. Elfverson, P. Hansbo, M. G. Larson, and K. Larsson, "Shape optimization using the cut finite element method," Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg., Vol. 328, 242-261, 2017.
30. Hossain, M. B., A. A. Bulbul, M. A. Mukit, and E. Podder, "Analysis of optical properties for square, circular and hexagonal photonic crystal fiber," Optics and Photonics Journal, Vol. 7, No. 11, 235-243, Nov. 2017.
31. Biswas, S. K., M. I. Hasan, M. A. Awsaf, M. N. Rahman, M. I. Abdullah, and M. M. Mia, "Design and analysis of hexagonal photonic crystal fiber with ultra-high birefringent and large negative dispersion coefficient for the application of sensing and broadband dispersion compensating fiber," Asian Journal of Applied Science and Technology (AJAST), Vol. 1, No. 8, 147-151, Sep. 2017.
32. Begum, F. and P. E. Abas, "Near infrared supercontinuum generation in silica based photonic crystal fiber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 89, 149-159, 2019.
33. Millo, A., I. Naeh, Y. Lavi, and A. Katzir, "Silver-halide segmented cladding fibers for the middle infrared," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 88, No. 25, 251101, 2006.
34. Dutta, A., "Mode analysis of different step index optical fibers at 1064 nm for high power fiber laser and amplifier," OSF Preprints, Oct. 18, 2019.